qualified package car driver (pt) being ask to be a drivers helper

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Driver2552, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Driver2552

Driver2552 New Member

is this something that is happening in other locations of the us. where management is taking part time package car drivers that are qualified and in the union and having them be driver helpers at a very reduced pay rate?
  2. They do that here,sometimes but pay them driver rate.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

Yes...if it's in your local supplement. But I think you're still paid at your hourly rate.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  4. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Active Member

They did that here years ago. Cover drivers are pt here. They wanted us to be helpers but we all said no. I don't believe they can force you to be a helper. If they are forcing you then I believe they should have to pay you your driving rate.
  5. sortaisle

sortaisle Livin the cardboard dream

It's a supplement issue. Either way, if they ask you to driver help at a reduced rate of pay, kindly tell them that you make more money double shifting and that they can't reduce you're rate of pay by forcing you to go. Here there is a sign up list. If they don't get enough folks from there they go to the streets and bring people in for that.
  6. box_beeyotch

box_beeyotch Well-Known Member

They do that in my center usually around this time of year as in use covers as helpers but we're all paid at our driver rate, so it's nice.
  7. iruhnman630

iruhnman630 Active Member

I dont mind being a helper a few days....'you do the thinking and the driving, I'll just carry the packages.'

EZ money.
  8. 30 to life

30 to life Active Member

The only thing at ups that is ez money is running the air to the airport
  9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

It is used to be that working the day after Thanksgiving was easy money.
  10. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

It still will be.
  11. sailfish

sailfish Well-Known Member

If it's a day where I would otherwise be bumped off of driving anyway I wouldn't mind at all. Beats working the belt.
  12. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Some of the easiest money I ever made was being a full scale driver helper.
  13. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Some of the easiest money I made was having a full scale driver as a helper!
  14. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

The best is when you run half a route as a helper for 1 day and the center manager says ok I'm gonna put you down for knowing that route.
  15. You've Got Mail

You've Got Mail Active Member

I finished driver training school today and go to my center tomorrow when they call me. I was told before I left the classroom that I'd be a driver's helper, at least for the first day or two...
  16. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

They may call you a driver helper but use the experience to learn how a driver works in the real world. School is over.
  17. UpstateNYUPSer

They have asked me to do this with several drivers fresh out of school. You are not there to help, although that is part of what you will be doing. You are there to get a feel of the pace of the job.

We went over the DOK, talked about how to set up the pkg car throughout the day and how to take control of the delivery situation (without being rude about it).

Each of the 3 were on the car for 4-5 hours, not nearly enough time to go in to detail but ample time to give an overview of the job and what would be expected of them. It also gave me enough time to assess their strengths and weaknesses and relay those to their on-car, who then spent 3 days with each on road for more thorough training.
  18. box_beeyotch

box_beeyotch Well-Known Member

Three days on the road? I got one.
  19. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

My center has not done it for year, but it is pretty amazing the numbers a 2 driver team can put up. I did it for a week 1 peak. I had a bulkhead key and would frequently get the next stops lined up if I beat the driver back to the car. Plus, there is way less explaining what to do next, a driver pretty much knows the plan.
  20. UpstateNYUPSer

That explains a lot.