Questions for Mike.

tieguy

Banned
I am still waiting on a reply from our private message friend(s) Tie. I sent another message today. I must say though - for someone who was begging for a reply from me on this thread, you have grown unusually silent regarding this topic.

Maybe what we can do in the absence of a reply from corporate (plan B) is just generalize the content of the messages we received and post our replies. That would at least give everyone a chance to see what it was that we were contacted about, a little insight on how UPS conducts / feels about the ERI, and a chance to see how we replied to such an unusual request. It would also allow us to remain discreet as we were contacted privately.

I'll give it a few more days, but what are your thoughts on plan B Tie?

I think its clear that person does not wish to participate. I thought you might give us some detailed insight as to the changes needed without posting someone else's commentary on this board.

Our ERI was created with the help of an outside third party. Much of it is still essentially being managed by third parties who really have no horse in this race and can therefore stay pretty much objective. Most of those who manage this process are PHD's and those near PHD in their speciality. I therefore believe a third party running it is of little benifit. I think the collection of information with the intent of gathering measurable results is sound. If a third party outside agency were to use the same process then I don't see any difference in the outcome.

The process is not perfect by any means. We made it measurable. We put it on the managers balanced scorecard and therefore hold the manager accountable for the results. That means the manager may try to manage it honestly or he may try to work it for the cheap homerun. This also means it can be manipulated by those who take it. If I'm a driver who's pissed at my center team or something that happened twenty years ago then I can answer negatively on all questions when answering the questions honestly may have gotten half of them positive or neutral. Groups of drivers could also manipulate it to send a message. This i've seen this tends to happen more so during contract years when the rumor is shop stewards and sometimes even BA's send the word to hammer us on the ERI. All part of the shennanigans that can take place. A third party will not stop any of that unless they actually administer face to face on each question. I would actually like to see the third party solution if administered face to face. I think the focus group meeting tends to inhibit those who do not feel comfortable speaking in front of groups or management.

As for this discussion I thought Boiled frog and Sammie provided some good insight. I think you communicate well but you're generally a little weak on the specifics.

Iconoclast

Tieguy -I think its clear that person does not wish to participate. I thought you might give us some detailed insight as to the changes needed without posting someone else's commentary on this board.

You may be right about their wishes to participate, but who knows, we'll see what happens. I have already given detailed insight on changes related to third party capabilities. I listed examples, ideaologies behind those examples, and even provided a link so that additional details could be researched by those interested in finding out what other options are available for the ERI.

Posting someone elses commentary that is germane to this discussion was not my idea initially, I was not going to mention that I had opened some outside dialogue, but I think you may have assumed that you were the only one who had been contacted, so you brought it up, literally begging for my reply.

I replied, "lets' open our sidebar conversations to the forum" but for some reason you don't seem too keen on that idea now, why not?

Tieguy -Our ERI was created with the help of an outside third party. Much of it is still essentially being managed by third parties who really have no horse in this race and can therefore stay pretty much objective.

Of course. Even if it wasn't a 3rd party, even if it is/was UPS employees who were conducting the survey and collecting the results-objectivity is crucial to the entire process.

Tieguy -Most of those who manage this process are PHD's and those near PHD in their speciality. I therefore believe a third party running it is of little benifit.I think the collection of information with the intent of gathering measurable results is sound. If a third party outside agency were to use the same process then I don't see any difference in the outcome.

As I have posted before several times, it is far more than the collection of data that makes a successful Employee Relation Index. It is the way it is administered, the feedback information, the turnaround time, the consistency of the product company wide - PHD or not, the only business a third party provider is in - is providing these products and services to global companies like UPS. I understand and respect your point about that caliber of UPS people who are involved with our current ERI, but that fact notwithstanding, the opinion of most of our employees in this forum, on the job, and in almost all districts is the same - the products sucks-and it has for long time....and there are other options out there, why not look into them?

Tieguy -The process is not perfect by any means. We made it measurable. We put it on the managers balanced scorecard and therefore hold the manager accountable for the results. That means the manager may try to manage it honestly or he may try to work it for the cheap homerun. This also means it can be manipulated by those who take it. If I'm a driver who's pissed at my center team or something that happened twenty years ago then I can answer negatively on all questions when answering the questions honestly may have gotten half of them positive or neutral. Groups of drivers could also manipulate it to send a message. This i've seen this tends to happen more so during contract years when the rumor is shop stewards and sometimes even BA's send the word to hammer us on the ERI. All part of the shennanigans that can take place. A third party will not stop any of that unless they actually administer face to face on each question.

Much of the negative attitude surrounding the ERI is because of the unprofessional, rushed manner in which UPS presents the survey to the employees. Of course there will always be disgruntled employees, but it is an insult to all the good hard working people who feel that UPS does not care enough about the survey to present it in a prioritized, professional manner. If UPS doesn't care-why should the employees. That is what affects the outcome of the scores far more than those few disgruntled employees who are trying to sabotage the results.

I said in an earlier post that I don't trust the results of the ERI-not because I think the results are being manipulated, but beause of the above reason, UPS doesn't are about it, and neither do the employees

Besides, top notch survey companies build in statistical allowances for variancess like sabotage when scoring an index of the ERI's ilk.

Tieguy -I would actually like to see the third party solution if administered face to face. I think the focus group meeting tends to inhibit those who do not feel comfortable speaking in front of groups or management.

Most focus groups are face to face, I am confused by what you mean here.

Tieguy -As for this discussion I thought Boiled frog and Sammie provided some good insight. I think you communicate well but you're generally a little weak on the specifics

Maybe so, but I did outline several examples, developed sound arguments to augment those examples and also provided some outside resources to support my arguments. that has to be worth something in the specifics column

In sumary, there are a lot of very good companies out there who provide top notch solutions in the Employee Survey discipline, maybe UPS should look to invest in one.

Iconoclast

Athena -I think Plan B is a great idea.

We'll see. As I discussed before, for someone who was begging for my reply only a short time ago, Tie has gone very silent on this subject. I did hear back from the person who contacted me, and they don't wish to disclose their half of the discussion to the thread, but it would be interesting if Tie and I were to paraphrase our sidebars and post our replies.

Tie, wahddya think?-are you game?

tieguy

Banned
Athena -I think Plan B is a great idea.

We'll see. As I discussed before, for someone who was begging for my reply only a short time ago, Tie has gone very silent on this subject. I did hear back from the person who contacted me, and they don't wish to disclose their half of the discussion to the thread, but it would be interesting if Tie and I were to paraphrase our sidebars and post our replies.

Tie, wahddya think?-are you game?

I'm sorry must have missed something. Did you post something new that urgently required a response from me? Oh I see. You thought you were having a debate with me didn't you? My last post covers everything I have to say on the subject. Not looking for a debate or pajama party. To be honest I think you debate well in your mind and we should probably leave this discussion there.Thanks

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Tieguy -I'm sorry must have missed something. Did you post something new that urgently required a response from me? Oh I see. You thought you were having a debate with me didn't you? My last post covers everything I have to say on the subject. Not looking for a debate or pajama party.

Of course we were having a debate, that is the genesis of almost every thread on all message boards-to present opinions, build arguments, read other peoples points of view, add to the discussion, and point counterpoint different sides of an issue. Some postings are purely informational, for example, someone could post a link for a new health benefits site, that won't get much milegae, but most other threads are made up almost entirely of debate.

If you look at this thread, there is clearly debate going on by almost all participants, especially you and I. Everyone who participates is weighing in with opinion, agreeing with some , disagreeing with others. There was even someone who posted that they wanted to see us post our sidebar comments, heretofore known in this thread as plan B.

Tieguy -To be honest I think you debate well in your mind and we should probably leave this discussion there.Thanks

That in and of itself is strange. Only a few messages ago, in this very same thread, you were begging for a reply from me. I provided it, along with a challenge for you to defend your arguments on this subject by expounding on the inside line you had to those who helped administer the ERI.

I thought it was germane to the discussion (I still do) and I think that our sidebar conversations should be made available to the forum to help augment each of our specific views on this subject. Since that time you have avoided directly answering why you think it is not a good idea to do this, or even acknowledge the merits of such a move - even after others have opined that they would like to read about it.

Now, ironically enough, you are stating that you are done with this discussion and no longer interested in debate-here are your words for edifiation and reinforement:

Tieguy -think about it Icon. reign in your natural tendency to provide me with a windy post that says nothing and really give me some minute details on how your version of the ERI will be so much better then these people who are either PHD level or near PHD level in their expertise on this subject.

I beg you and eagerly await your well thought out response

You even followed this up with another e-mail asking me where my posting was at -"Icon how ya making out with your ERI Brief.

I dunno Tie, It sounds to me like you wanted to continue this discussion until you found out that I too had been contacted by someone about the ERI. Now, I can only surmise by the language you used above, begging for an answer, and posting a second message inquiring as to the whereabouts of said answer, that if I had not been contacted, you would have had plenty to say about whatever I posted.

Which brings up the question that you seem not to want to answer - why were you so keen on me responding before you found out I had been contacted, and why won't you consider opening up our sidebar comments to the forum?

I mean, after all, one of the things you are constantly knocked for in this community is the consistent way that you avoid directly engaging in the discussion. Here is your chance to turn some of that around.

Whaddya say Tie?