Raises for hourly employees defered till October.

Ricochet1a

And I'm, free to tell my customers that if they don't like it, that they should start shipping with UPS!

Be careful with that... if that customer decides to call in a 'concern' to the 1-800 number, you'll be sitting in front of your manager, sr. manager and HR representative trying to explain why you are 'sabotaging' Express customer relations.

Don't play into the game of Express (giving them something to fire you over). You have only real viable option if you decide you can't leave Express - and that is to organize. If you give Express something to fire you over, they'll be glad that you played their game and gave them an easy way to get rid of a disgruntled employee.

Don't make it easy for them, don't play the game which is rigged in their favor. Outside of leaving, you only have one viable option which will give you a voice against your employer - get your fellow employees to realize that organizing is the only way to put an end to the erosion in your compensation and make Express management nervous as hell when they find out union rep cards are circulating. That will get their attention.

In addition, SFA time is coming up. Your station management is part of the system that is responsible for the situation that you are in. Let them have it with both barrels. They may smile and want you to think that they are your good buddy - they are merely being paid by Memphis to be the on the spot enforcers. Why continue to let them keep their jobs while yours goes into the tubes?

Nail them with bad SFAs and they'll be sent packing eventually (Memphis doesn't like enforcers who can't pull off the 'con' effectively - they'll find others to play the role if the ones they have aren't being successful at it). No sense in letting your enforcers get off easy, while your standard of living slowly sinks....

Ricochet1a

What if we put union cards in the drop boxes then each courier can decide to sign and send it to ibt?

Not sure if I understand you.

Most drop boxes are only checked by one Courier - maybe two if a swing covers a PU route in a given week (Mondays for example).

Are you suggesting placing cards in the drop box and then getting out the word that, 'rep cards are in the drop box at the corner of Main and 4th Ave'?

Problem with that is that station management would get the message too through the station grapevine, then drive out the the drop box with HR, examine the drop box, find the cards, document what they found and photograph the 'scene', then pull in the Courier they suspect for 'inappropriate use of Express property/equipment'.

It is a difficult proposition. You need to do some face to face campaigning, find out who is sympathetic and who is actively hostile to the concept of organizing, then hand them a card in person with all the information they need to send it in. The really important thing to do is to 'network' with Couriers in surrounding stations and have them start to campaign in their station. RLA makes organizing Express a nationwide gig - no easy task when there are hundreds of stations across the country that have absolutely NO CONTACT between wage employees in the stations (RLA 'assumes' that employees have a method of regular communication amongst each other - something Express leaves out in its talking points when it comes to its justifying RLA classification).

In management literature regarding organizing activities of their employees (union avoidance training), they make it clear to the managers that when their employees begin organizing activities, that the employees are 'declaring war' against both their employer and their management. That literature is quite correct. You would be declaring war on your employer.

The thing is, FedEx Corporation declared war against its wage employees in Express years ago - they just didn't come right out and say as much. Isn't it time that you either fight back or get the hell out of the war zone???

MAKAVELI

Management will find out no matter what. There will always be some snitches out there. I'm just saying it might be a good way to get the word out to a majority of drivers in a short time. Just to get the ball rolling and the conversation going. It would be hard to get to talk with everyone before management found out and start to harass the supporters. We could have friends, spouses , family put them in the boxes on a Sunday and come monday would be the talk all around the station.

Last edited:

hypo hanna

Be careful with that... if that customer decides to call in a 'concern' to the 1-800 number, you'll be sitting in front of your manager, sr. manager and HR representative trying to explain why you are 'sabotaging' Express customer relations.

Don't play into the game of Express (giving them something to fire you over). You have only real viable option if you decide you can't leave Express - and that is to organize. If you give Express something to fire you over, they'll be glad that you played their game and gave them an easy way to get rid of a disgruntled employee.

Don't make it easy for them, don't play the game which is rigged in their favor. Outside of leaving, you only have one viable option which will give you a voice against your employer - get your fellow employees to realize that organizing is the only way to put an end to the erosion in your compensation and make Express management nervous as hell when they find out union rep cards are circulating. That will get their attention.

In addition, SFA time is coming up. Your station management is part of the system that is responsible for the situation that you are in. Let them have it with both barrels. They may smile and want you to think that they are your good buddy - they are merely being paid by Memphis to be the on the spot enforcers. Why continue to let them keep their jobs while yours goes into the tubes?

Nail them with bad SFAs and they'll be sent packing eventually (Memphis doesn't like enforcers who can't pull off the 'con' effectively - they'll find others to play the role if the ones they have aren't being successful at it). No sense in letting your enforcers get off easy, while your standard of living slowly sinks....

I agree that even with the RLA we should be organizing. I disagree with participating in the SFA or a work slowdown.
The SFA changes nothing and only serves as a tool for mgmt to see just how far they can screw us further. You say much more by refusing to take the silly thing.
A slowdown or better yet a deliberate and dramatic fall in the service levels would be one of the few things that would get their attention. There are plenty of ways to do it without it coming back to you.It would also get the attention of Wall Street.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

She's right. You should only "recommend" UPS in the abstract. Let's say a customer has had a bad FedEx experience, which is very common these days. You could say something like "perhaps you should investigate using a competitor" or " I'm sorry, but FedEx is no longer able to provide the level of service you expect". I actually do recommend that customers use UPS, but I do it in a way that won't come back to bite me. If I've known the customer long enough, I'll just say something like "Brown is a good color to choose" or something along those lines. Be creative, and don't give them anything they can use against you.

She's also right about organizing. Until we have a union, they hold all the cards, which is just the way they like it. If you have a problem that requires a lawyer, by all means, obtain one. Usually, they will work on a contingency if you have a viable case, and consultations are usually free. Other than that, your options are limited, unless you can get others to cooperate on group action, and that's problematic if someone rats you out. Slowing down the belt, watching your packages go by, and taking your time are safe and hard for them to prove. If you can get everyone to shut the belt down to send a message, go ahead, because they are going to take that as a sign you're pissed-off enough to sign cards, and group discipline is hard to do.

I have seen or heard of several sorts being shut down, with no disciplinary action taken because they knew it would inflame people further.

God, what a hellhole.

Be smart, and fight back however you can without unduly exposing yourself.

Ricochet1a

Managers in multiple stations made the announcement today - so Express isn't trying to hide or sugar coat anything. They (Memphis) flat out don't care what you think and if not getting a pay raise causes you to quit - so be it.

If anyone called the IBT number, it would be interesting to read about the course of the conversation you had.

jmeti000

I didnt call today, but talked to a few fellow couriers after work. Out of the 5 Ive talked to so far 4 want to sign union cards so the odds are lookin good so far.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
R1A,
Thanks for all your previous info.
I'll try to call the I.B.T. tomorrow.
Remember guys and gals, call ...
202-624-6911

thedownhillEXPRESS

Managers in multiple stations made the announcement today - so Express isn't trying to hide or sugar coat anything. They (Memphis) flat out don't care what you think and if not getting a pay raise causes you to quit - so be it.

If anyone called the IBT number, it would be interesting to read about the course of the conversation you had.

Thats pretty much what our senior told the hoardes of screaming employees in the station meeting.

Boy how the times have changed.

We are sh** to them

Ricochet1a

Thats pretty much what our senior told the hoardes of screaming employees in the station meeting.

Boy how the times have changed.

We are sh** to them

Well, its time to figure out if those noises coming out of the stations today were the bleating of sheep, or the howls of wolves...

I'm going to give the best method I had of getting out cards to as many Couriers as possible while remaining anonymous (with plausible deniability). It will be funny if station phone rosters become a controlled item (manager view only) in the coming days... (you'll see why...)

1. Get your station's personnel roster with the listing of home phone numbers. Make a photo copy of it or take a photo of it if your phone's camera is of high enough resolution to enable easy reading of the numbers. The CSA's will have the roster, come up with some excuse to look at it. If it is posted on the office wall, try to make a copy of it or just take a high resolution photo of it. (Don't panic, you're NOT going to call anyone).

2. Get on the internet and do reverse lookups for all the home phone numbers listed (just land lines, cell phones won't give a physical address in reverse lookup unless you have access to carrier records). You should be able to pull up between half and two-thirds of the addresses of your station's Couriers by this method. For those you don't pull up, you are pretty much out of luck by this method as far as the rest of the 'procedure' goes. Use anywho....

3. Print up enough of the IBT union representation cards (link posted earlier), to mail out one to each of the addresses you have. I'd recommend putting it on heavy stock paper, make it colored paper (people think it is 'official' for some reason), then make sure the cards you produce will fit easily into a standard size business size envelope. This may take some trial and error. A print shop that knows what they are doing will be able to help you. You are going to have some out of pocket expenses doing this, no way around it. It will be between $1.50 and $2 per letter you send out (postage, printing costs, etc.). You may want to pool resources with another Courier or two at your station to help offset this expense to any single person. Make sure you have some degree of trust and sense of common purpose in this endeavor before you try to save yourself some money by having someone help out with expenses. If in doubt, just pay for it yourself.

4. Write up a one page, concise argument as to why you think the Couriers in your station should sign and return the enclosed card. Do so without stating your name. Print up enough to enclose a copy of this argument of yours with each letter you are going to be sending out.

5. Generate computer generated self-adhesive labels that have each of the addresses you came up with, along with the address of the IBT HQ in Washington DC, and a 'diversionary' return address (all US Mail wants return addresses on it now) and use those labels for each letter you are going to be sending out (under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you hand write ANYTHING on these letters that you will mail). You are going to use the US Mail to send out the union representation cards. It is perfectly legal, and there is NOTHING anyone can do to stop you from using this method (this is actually covered under organization procedures of federal law). You are not going to hand write anything to help protect yourself from the inevitable copies of the letters which you send out getting into your station management's hands the day after some suckups receive them.

Place postage on both the letter you send (obviously) AND on the business envelope you enclose within your letter that has the IBT address placed on it with a computer generated self adhesive label.

6. Let the sparks fly.

Recap of what your letter will have:

1. Printed IBT union representation card, preferably heavy stock paper, colored paper.

2. Pre-addressed (self adhesive computer generated label) business sized envelope for the return of potentially signed representation card to be mailed to IBT. Make sure your 'cards' fit easily within this envelope. Make sure you go ahead and pay for return postage (buy a few books of first class postage - you'll use them), to prevent someone from not returning it merely because there is no postage on it.

3. Your one page argument as to why the Couriers in your station should sign and return the card enclosed. Make this argument focused on issues which are seen in YOUR station, so the reader knows that a Courier in the station they work at is responsible for sending out this letter (but you don't want them to know just who did the mailing).

4. All the above will be enclosed within one of the 'larger' business type envelopes (I'll have to look up envelope sizes), which you will use to mail the whole works out to each Courier which you have an address for. Don't place anything in the envelope you enclose with the IBT address on it, you don't want people getting confused. Three (3) separate items will be placed in the envelope YOU mail; 1) IBT return envelope, 2) Union Card, 3) Your one page write up. You will use computer generated labels for both recipient and 'return addresses'. Obviously don't use your home address as the return address. I used the 'station' address, so that the letters looked 'official'. I also put the employee's company ID number right after their name on the address label (it will be on the phone roster). As in...

Joe Blow E# 123456
123. Main St.
Sometown, State, ZIP

You want to make sure your coworker who receives this letter which you went to so much effort to generate actually OPENS it and reads the contents. Yes, it is a bit of a 'bait and switch' - all's fair in love and war. You are declaring war on your employer.

5. Mail them all at the same time, preferably by going into a US Post Office and placing them into their letter drop (to make sure they all go out at the same time).

Once the initial sparks fly, you can have additional union cards and return labels available for those you weren't able to mail them to, but who express interest (all through the station grapevine) in the days after the bomb blows. You can place these in their employee "mail slot" (don't let anyone know), or go around to their trucks in the early AM and slip them into the VIRs (no Courier can pull out before signing the VIR - they'll find your little gift for them).

Your station management will know someone is mounting an organizing campaign real quick. It was fun seeing my station's management reaction when I did it (they couldn't do a damn thing about it, since they couldn't pin me with a direct violation of company policy).

Be forewarned.... They will start trying to develop documentation against you in order to get rid of you. When you declare war on your employer, you also declare war on your local management, they see it that way and will react accordingly.

I called but they closed at 5:00pm...So im gonna wait for a return call tomorrow or im gonna call back if I dont hear from them...

Goldilocks

Well, its time to figure out if those noises coming out of the stations today were the bleating of sheep, or the howls of wolves...

I'm going to give the best method I had of getting out cards to as many Couriers as possible while remaining anonymous (with plausible deniability). It will be funny if station phone rosters become a controlled item (manager view only) in the coming days... (you'll see why...)

1. Get your station's personnel roster with the listing of home phone numbers. Make a photo copy of it or take a photo of it if your phone's camera is of high enough resolution to enable easy reading of the numbers. The CSA's will have the roster, come up with some excuse to look at it. If it is posted on the office wall, try to make a copy of it or just take a high resolution photo of it. (Don't panic, you're NOT going to call anyone).

2. Get on the internet and do reverse lookups for all the home phone numbers listed (just land lines, cell phones won't give a physical address in reverse lookup unless you have access to carrier records). You should be able to pull up between half and two-thirds of the addresses of your station's Couriers by this method. For those you don't pull up, you are pretty much out of luck by this method as far as the rest of the 'procedure' goes. Use anywho....

3. Print up enough of the IBT union representation cards (link posted earlier), to mail out one to each of the addresses you have. I'd recommend putting it on heavy stock paper, make it colored paper (people think it is 'official' for some reason), then make sure the cards you produce will fit easily into a standard size business size envelope. This may take some trial and error. A print shop that knows what they are doing will be able to help you. You are going to have some out of pocket expenses doing this, no way around it. It will be between $1.50 and $2 per letter you send out (postage, printing costs, etc.). You may want to pool resources with another Courier or two at your station to help offset this expense to any single person. Make sure you have some degree of trust and sense of common purpose in this endeavor before you try to save yourself some money by having someone help out with expenses. If in doubt, just pay for it yourself.

4. Write up a one page, concise argument as to why you think the Couriers in your station should sign and return the enclosed card. Do so without stating your name. Print up enough to enclose a copy of this argument of yours with each letter you are going to be sending out.

5. Generate computer generated self-adhesive labels that have each of the addresses you came up with, along with the address of the IBT HQ in Washington DC, and a 'diversionary' return address (all US Mail wants return addresses on it now) and use those labels for each letter you are going to be sending out (under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you hand write ANYTHING on these letters that you will mail). You are going to use the US Mail to send out the union representation cards. It is perfectly legal, and there is NOTHING anyone can do to stop you from using this method (this is actually covered under organization procedures of federal law). You are not going to hand write anything to help protect yourself from the inevitable copies of the letters which you send out getting into your station management's hands the day after some suckups receive them.

Place postage on both the letter you send (obviously) AND on the business envelope you enclose within your letter that has the IBT address placed on it with a computer generated self adhesive label.

6. Let the sparks fly.

Recap of what your letter will have:

1. Printed IBT union representation card, preferably heavy stock paper, colored paper.

2. Pre-addressed (self adhesive computer generated label) business sized envelope for the return of potentially signed representation card to be mailed to IBT. Make sure your 'cards' fit easily within this envelope. Make sure you go ahead and pay for return postage (buy a few books of first class postage - you'll use them), to prevent someone from not returning it merely because there is no postage on it.

3. Your one page argument as to why the Couriers in your station should sign and return the card enclosed. Make this argument focused on issues which are seen in YOUR station, so the reader knows that a Courier in the station they work at is responsible for sending out this letter (but you don't want them to know just who did the mailing).

4. All the above will be enclosed within one of the 'larger' business type envelopes (I'll have to look up envelope sizes), which you will use to mail the whole works out to each Courier which you have an address for. Don't place anything in the envelope you enclose with the IBT address on it, you don't want people getting confused. Three (3) separate items will be placed in the envelope YOU mail; 1) IBT return envelope, 2) Union Card, 3) Your one page write up. You will use computer generated labels for both recipient and 'return addresses'. Obviously don't use your home address as the return address. I used the 'station' address, so that the letters looked 'official'. I also put the employee's company ID number right after their name on the address label (it will be on the phone roster). As in...

Joe Blow E# 123456
123. Main St.
Sometown, State, ZIP

You want to make sure your coworker who receives this letter which you went to so much effort to generate actually OPENS it and reads the contents. Yes, it is a bit of a 'bait and switch' - all's fair in love and war. You are declaring war on your employer.

5. Mail them all at the same time, preferably by going into a US Post Office and placing them into their letter drop (to make sure they all go out at the same time).

Once the initial sparks fly, you can have additional union cards and return labels available for those you weren't able to mail them to, but who express interest (all through the station grapevine) in the days after the bomb blows. You can place these in their employee "mail slot" (don't let anyone know), or go around to their trucks in the early AM and slip them into the VIRs (no Courier can pull out before signing the VIR - they'll find your little gift for them).

Your station management will know someone is mounting an organizing campaign real quick. It was fun seeing my station's management reaction when I did it (they couldn't do a damn thing about it, since they couldn't pin me with a direct violation of company policy).

Be forewarned.... They will start trying to develop documentation against you in order to get rid of you. When you declare war on your employer, you also declare war on your local management, they see it that way and will react accordingly.

Do have any idea whats been happening and what will happen? I heard all managers got their buyout letters and that in May the company will announce its new restructure. Its like Fort Knox and they have kept this sealed tight.

Welcome Back!!

hypo hanna

All Ops mgrs got offer letters. SM's did not. Call ctrs will be closed. They also are getting offers. Those that don't take it will be either working from home or displaced. Dispatchers and dispatch mgmt will not get offers. IT will get offers.