RECORD ONLINE SALES BLACK FRIDAY!

35years

Gravy route
I'm going to give you a blast from the past. it's 1988 and I had 13 years in as a full time driver. And everybody,
and I mean EVERYBODY, preload, delivery sups, center managers, and drivers really cared. And all the bull:censored2:
went away. Honestly, everybody and I mean everybody was on the same page. And on Christmas eve morning
the preload was having a catered breakfast and EVERYBODY, delivery sups, center managers and drivers were invited
to join in. And as a driver I went out Christmas eve and I was absolutely determined to deliver every package on the
car that day. And when I came in there a catered spread and we all, and I mean all, delivery sups, center managers
and drivers socialized and had a real sense of pride of getting the job done.

I feel bad for all of you today. Reading about how things are now really makes me sad. There was a great feeling
of teamwork. It was really a great place to work. I'm sorry it has all gone away.
Yep,
I was driving back then and still today.
Not that hard to work together as a team when peak only lasts 3 weeks and 11 hrs is considered a long day during peak. Now they think they own you and own your time. It really is an affront to the human dignity of the drivers and their families. Nov 1 to Jan 1 you are expected to not see your children. 6 days a week. 70 hrs.

Prepare for massive call in problems if this continues. People are not cattle.

Last edited:

oldupsman

Yep,
Not that hard to work together as a team when peak only lasts 3 weeks and 11 hrs is considered a long day during peak. Now they think they own you and own your time. It really is an affront to the human dignity of the drivers and their families. Nov 1 to Jan 1 you are expected to not see your children. 6 days a week. 70 hrs.

You're right. Peak was a month long and punching out at 9 was late. But back then center managers actually ran the centers to.
It was just common sense to try to have everybody in by 8 at night. Now it seems 60 hour weeks all year are the norm.
If I came in at 8 at night in the summer, the center manager would say sorry and the problem would be fixed the next day.

vvv

Online sales boomed on Black Friday

Were gonna get blown out pretty quick....

Who cares, I work exactly the same whether its March, May, September, or December. When they know your max ability to get a certain amount of work done in a certain time frame everything falls into place and it's business as usual for me.
Now if you want to go running around out there like some wild cowboy then they'll stick a damn luggage rack or trailer on your package car and load your silly :censored2: up to the gills and let you have at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

vvv

Eh... they can order all they want, I'm not working any harder, longer, or more often than I am required to. UPS can go ahead and blow the whole peak season, for all I care... it's not my problem.

I have a feeling this is going to be the year UPS' chickens come home to roost. They don't pay enough to get seasonal help, those that do sign on quit after a few days of getting jerked around, overworked, and experiencing the clusterfu(k that is UPS, first hand, and more importantly, we've finally reached the point where UPS' reputation precedes them with the general public. The secret is out... UPS is not a good place to work anymore. All of this, combined with a network of facilities that, even before peak starts, can't handle the volume they are forcing through... almost guarantees our failure. One decent snowstorm in a critical area, and we're in for a peak from which UPS' reputation as a reliable shipper won't recover.

Myself... I welcome it. Heads need to roll at the corporate level... lots of them.

Probably one of the BEST POSTS I've ever read on here......WHO CARES!!

One stop at a time, they made this thing a mess......not me. Although I absolutely despise winter weather I too hope we get hammered in various areas and it throws it all up for grabs and I sit back and watch idiots (both drivers and management) scramble like fools to try and do too much.....it's comical.

I'm hoping you'll enjoy the implosion just as much as me!! :)

vvv

I'm going to give you a blast from the past. it's 1988 and I had 13 years in as a full time driver. And everybody,
and I mean EVERYBODY, preload, delivery sups, center managers, and drivers really cared. And all the bull:censored2:
went away. Honestly, everybody and I mean everybody was on the same page. And on Christmas eve morning
the preload was having a catered breakfast and EVERYBODY, delivery sups, center managers and drivers were invited
to join in. And as a driver I went out Christmas eve and I was absolutely determined to deliver every package on the
car that day. And when I came in there a catered spread and we all, and I mean all, delivery sups, center managers
and drivers socialized and had a real sense of pride of getting the job done.

I feel bad for all of you today. Reading about how things are now really makes me sad. There was a great feeling
of teamwork. It was really a great place to work. I'm sorry it has all gone away.

No need to feel sorry for me buddy, somehow "I" spell the word team with just that......an "I" in it.

I look out for myself and keep my nose clean and don't worry about anything. I go in and do my fair share and so long as my direct deposit clears weekly I'm cool.

They can stick they catered food and free turkeys and other nonsense up their backsides. I'll provide my own for my own.

vvv

14 hours per day

Couldn’t care less

They can send me out with 10,000 stops for all I care. They’ll get 9750 brought back

You'd really do that much for them.......250? Being a little too generous for the holidays. Go for 200 and don't show them you like what you are doing all that much.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Eh... they can order all they want, I'm not working any harder, longer, or more often than I am required to. UPS can go ahead and blow the whole peak season, for all I care... it's not my problem.

I have a feeling this is going to be the year UPS' chickens come home to roost. They don't pay enough to get seasonal help, those that do sign on quit after a few days of getting jerked around, overworked, and experiencing the clusterfu(k that is UPS, first hand, and more importantly, we've finally reached the point where UPS' reputation precedes them with the general public. The secret is out... UPS is not a good place to work anymore. All of this, combined with a network of facilities that, even before peak starts, can't handle the volume they are forcing through... almost guarantees our failure. One decent snowstorm in a critical area, and we're in for a peak from which UPS' reputation as a reliable shipper won't recover.

Myself... I welcome it. Heads need to roll at the corporate level... lots of them.

Totally agree.
UPS's shipping reputation has been screwed for awhile.
Corporate could hang their hats on our 99% NDA on-time rates back in the 90's.
Now you can't find that rate on the internet because it spews unreliability.
The amount of money we lose everyday on late air should be a red flag to stockholders.
It doesn't matter if we backcharge people the saver rate, WE FAIL AT PROMISED SERVICE.

Over Promises, inadequate infrastructure, weather and not enough help will end us one of these peaks.
I also hope the stockholders take a bath because it may bring the one thing that this company needs to get back to......SERVICE.

vvv

Yep,

WOW.......another short but great post!! Are some people on here waking up finally?

Not meaning you yourself 35, I can tell you know how to handle your business. But you know the type I'm referring to. Just remember some of the clown union drivers on here will scold you as they did myself and say "you are screwing over your fellow coworkers for calling in at this time".

And all I can say is "GROW A SET OR YOU WILL BE SUCKING UP A LOT OF UNWANTED EXTRA WORK THIS HOLIDAY SEASON"

With the contract coming due next year it's time to show the company what we think of these long heavy days of work YEAR ROUND......peak is now a year round deal as when volume thins they cut routes and you go out with the same amount all 12 months.

Stop being fools for this careless money making machine.

vvv

Totally agree.
UPS's shipping reputation has been screwed for awhile.
Corporate could hang their hats on our 99% NDA on-time rates back in the 90's.
Now you can't find that rate on the internet because it spews unreliability.
The amount of money we lose everyday on late air should be a red flag to stockholders.
It doesn't matter if we backcharge people the saver rate, WE FAIL AT PROMISED SERVICE.

Over Promises, inadequate infrastructure, weather and not enough help will end us one of these peaks.
I also hope the stockholders take a bath because it may bring the one thing that this company needs to get back to......SERVICE.

BRAVO!!!! Another spot on comment.

ManInBrown

You'd really do that much for them.......250? Being a little too generous for the holidays. Go for 200 and don't show them you like what you are doing all that much.
Nah. 250 is fine

I stay in the cab nice and toasty and the helper walks about 12 miles

Now if my helper no shows that’s another story, they won’t even get 200