Regal Cinema's new "security policy"

bbsam

Staff member
That's the scenario I was referring to. Thanks for manning up and admitting it. Some one here would deflect.
That scenario is just as likely to occur as.the CCW hero saving the day. Actually far more likely since there are many more innocent bystanders than there are potential gun toting heroes. Strictly statistically speaking that is.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
That scenario is just as likely to occur as.the CCW hero saving the day. Actually far more likely since there are many more innocent bystanders than there are potential gun toting heroes. Strictly statistically speaking that is.
You were doing well until you made up that "statictically speaking" comment.

What if the CCW guy was trained and experienced? I can say without any hesitation that "Probably" all CCW's are experienced and trained at some level. You need training to obtain a CCW or at least show that you are not a bumbling idiot that you LW's think are running around without any restraint of common sense.

The scenario of an innocent bystander getting shot accidently is possible, but just as likely as the shooter getting hit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What if the CCW guy was trained and experienced? I can say without any hesitation that "Probably" all CCW's are experienced and trained at some level. You need training to obtain a CCW or at least show that you are not a bumbling idiot that you LW's think are running around without any restraint of common sense.

The scenario of an innocent bystander getting shot accidently is possible, but just as likely as the shooter getting hit.

How often do you have to re-certify/qualify?

bbsam

Staff member

I'm really impressed that this thread has such defenders for the conceal carry hero in this scenario.

Why? Because as you said, CC implies some level of responsible training. That's good. Because in that is ingrained not to fire into a crowd. Not to fire blindly. Firing in a crowded, smoky, chaotic theater should be so against the grain that it almost never happens. And I think that's the case because CC folks need to know that their responsibility does not end at.good intentions. Don't you agree they should be aware of those facts? The road to hell....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Incorrect.
The mass murderer is shooting at everyone in the theater. The guy with the carry permit is only shooting at the murderer.

bbsam

Staff member
Incorrect.
The mass murderer is shooting at everyone in the theater. The guy with the carry permit is only shooting at the murderer.
Incorrect. I have never seen a mass murderer kill everyone. They have, however, been held accountable for those innocents they killed. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

soberups

Something else worth mentioning....
Theaters aren't actually "dark". Next time you are at a movie, look around. Most of the time there is more than enough light reflected off of the screen for you to see the other people in the theater.

soberups

Incorrect. I have never seen a mass murderer kill everyone. They have, however, been held accountable for those innocents they killed. Nothing wrong with that, is there?
Ok, I'll bite...

People are held accountable for crimes that they are charged with and convicted of.

The guy who walks into a theater with an AR-15 and starts blasting away will be charged and convicted of first degree murder for every person he kills.

The guy with a carry permit who shoots back in self defense and accidentally kills someone who got caught in the crossfire will be charged with....what?

Under the circumstances of a mass shooting, what would be the appropriate crime to charge him with, and would a jury convict?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I really shouldn't get involved in this thread, but in my county and my state, all I have to do is go down the the sheriff's office, fill out some paperwork, pay the fee and wait for a cursory background check.

No experience and no training involved.

bbsam

Staff member
Ok, I'll bite...

People are held accountable for crimes that they are charged with and convicted of.

The guy who walks into a theater with an AR-15 and starts blasting away will be charged and convicted of first degree murder for every person he kills.

The guy with a carry permit who shoots back in self defense and accidentally kills someone who got caught in the crossfire will be charged with....what?

Under the circumstances of a mass shooting, what would be the appropriate crime to charge him with, and would a jury convict?
I don't know. Could be any array of charges depending on the local, state, and federal laws. Could be violating the innocent victims civil liberties. What he won't and shouldn't do is walk away with no repercussions of a mistake that caused another to lose their life. Then there is the possibility that after months of civil and legal proceedings he is exonerated but still there is a court of public opinion. He may never be seen the way he wants, the way you say it should be. He may never be seen as a "good samaritan".

Too extreme? That's the responsibility that comes with shooting to kill. There isn't a lot of room for error. I think gun owners should realize that, don't you?