Regal Cinema's new "security policy"

bbsam

Staff member
I really shouldn't get involved in this thread, but in my county and my state, all I have to do is go down the the sheriff's office, fill out some paperwork, pay the fee and wait for a cursory background check.

No experience and no training involved.
Really? Do your self a favor and read up on the responsibility that goes with the right if you decide to purchase one.

wayfair

swollen member
I do. The "training" is a joke.

the training with the class? or on your own?

I do remember a student in the CCW class that said she had never fired a weapon or held one. She said she wouldn't comfortably carry it until she was more confident in knowledge to do so... she enrolled in the basic pistol, defensive handgun I and II, Accuracy and trigger control, and She Shooters society classes...

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

I do remember a student in the CCW class that said she had never fired a weapon or held one. She said she wouldn't comfortably carry it until she was more confident in knowledge to do so... she enrolled in the basic pistol, defensive handgun I and II, Accuracy and trigger control, and She Shooters society classes...
State requires a class. It's 8 hours total, I opted for two 4 hour classes.
It was mostly sitting in a classroom going over how not to break the law, and them going over the questions that would be on the written test.
The shooting was maybe an hour total, one instructor for about 25 people. The shooting test had a target about the size of an average door, i think out of 10 or 15 shots you could miss the target two or three times and still pass. The target was enormous. The written test was a joke too, multiple choice with obvious answers.

You'd have to be blind or mentally challenged to fail the class.

wayfair

swollen member
State requires a class. It's 8 hours total, I opted for two 4 hour classes.
It was mostly sitting in a classroom going over how not to break the law, and them going over the questions that would be on the written test.
The shooting was maybe an hour total, one instructor for about 25 people. The shooting test had a target about the size of an average door, i think out of 10 or 15 shots you could miss the target two or three times and still pass. The target was enormous. The written test was a joke too, multiple choice with obvious answers.

You'd have to be blind or mentally challenged to fail the class.

so...... did you further your training???

wayfair

swollen member
Nope.
That's the point, most people who are licensed to carry aren't gun nuts, they're not interested in furthering their training.
I got the license, and haven't fired a gun since... it's been years.

too bad, you might re think it one day. It's a fun hobby that will teach a lot, also a great investment!

wkmac

I've been watching this thread from a distance, mostly for the chuckles of which there are many. But all that stuff aside, I got to wondering about the number of movies shown in a given day across America, over the course of a year and then compare that to the actual number of theater shooting we've had to get an idea of just what the odds are that a given person might be caught in one.

Seems to me the first thing I needed to determine was not the number of actual theaters but how many total movie screens show movies on a given day. After a little searching of some theater industry websites I learned that as of 2013' which is the latest number, there are 39,299 movie screens across America. Now that doesn't count the 656 drive in movies so I'm just dealing with walk in movie screens. Many theaters even on weekdays show 4 or more screenings but I decided to use 2 showings per screen/per day only just to keep it easy. This gives us right at 80k movie showings daily and just under 30 million showing in a given year.

Next I wanted to know about violent events in movie theaters over the years and again after some searching I discovered this which begins with an event in 1979' at a showing of the movie The Warriors, a flick I happen to like and then concludes with the July shooting in Louisiana.

After looking at the number of events compared to the total number of showings on a daily basis, I've concluded I'll die several times over from any number of other causes of death before I'll even be involved in a theater shooting much less even get shot.

I'm going to return to my easy seat in the shadows and continue watching the fun this thread has become. And remember, critical thinking is not allowed!

;)

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I'm really impressed that this thread has such defenders for the conceal carry hero in this scenario.

Why? Because as you said, CC implies some level of responsible training. That's good. Because in that is ingrained not to fire into a crowd. Not to fire blindly. Firing in a crowded, smoky, chaotic theater should be so against the grain that it almost never happens. And I think that's the case because CC folks need to know that their responsibility does not end at.good intentions. Don't you agree they should be aware of those facts? The road to hell....

Duh, The CCW guy is who we refer to as "The Good Guy" (the guy without the AK-47).
The "implied...training" is what has been determined to be adequate for the average person to carry. I don't care to debate whether it is adequate for some bumbling idiot that shoots blindly like a 3 Stooges episode. I'm talking about the average person that realizes the gravity of the situation and does what he/she can to save lives. Unlike the Dems, I credit most US citizens with being able to take the necessary actions/precautions to make a kill without (or minimizing the probability of) inflicting harm on others that are not a threat.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Duh, The CCW guy is who we refer to as "The Good Guy" (the guy without the AK-47).
The "implied...training" is what has been determined to be adequate for the average person to carry. I don't care to debate whether it is adequate for some bumbling idiot that shoots blindly like a 3 Stooges episode. I'm talking about the average person that realizes the gravity of the situation and does what he/she can to save lives. Unlike the Dems, I credit most US citizens with being able to take the necessary actions/precautions to make a kill without (or minimizing the probability of) inflicting harm on others that are not a threat.

When I was active duty we had to qualify (shoot a gun) once a year. That was the only time I ever handled a gun. IMO that is the bare minimum that should be required for anyone who wishes to have a CCW permit.

oldngray

nowhere special
Some states it just requires some simple paperwork but others require classes with real training. Here there are classes with a little shooting but it is mostly learning the laws so it is in the middle of the pack. Not hard but not automatic either.

Some states it just requires some simple paperwork but others require classes with real training. Here there are classes with a little shooting but it is mostly learning the laws so it is in the middle of the pack. Not hard but not automatic either.
No classes here. Its like giving someone a drivers license, with no road test.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Shooting is so they know more than just what Hollywood and television shows. Guns kick...that's a fact and as a shooter you don't want to be surprised by that, so actually shooting the gun is important. You need to get the feel of it.