Regretting management

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I am a perfect example. I left UPS several years ago from Rockford because the job just "wasn't for me". Plain and simple. No disgrace, no animosity, no disdain; I just wanted to do something else.
I now work in the financial sector and am a UPS B share holder. Why? Because UPS is a solid investment that still pumps out a very attractive dividend four times a year.
Compare the ratios of FDX, GE, others. There are not many as good as UPS. How can UPS keep doing this, you may ask? It is because it is a well run company. I know that they beat the living crap out of the emp[loyees (been there, done that), but as I stated first: "It wasn't for me".
I still make a point to wave at drivers and pay attention to clean Feeders on the highway.
UPS taught me some valuable lessons about maturity and working with others. I wasn't the super-achiever that "Jeffy" was, but I was a happy employee (Although sore and frustrated) because I was part of one of the most successful companies in American history. You may hate it, but you can't deny that.

Sorry, "Jeffy" got me stirred up. No word in four years and then this!

BTW, all thoswe promotions, I thought he wqas Scott Davis (then I read the spelling and grammar):funny:

RippleX482

Okay so as much as I would like to explain every little detail I do not have the time nor is it particularly relevant to our discussion. I am obviously aware that no driver would disagree with me. This was not intended to be a kick in the nuts to management either. More like a nice slap on the back of the head.

Im not here to quote my statistics and brag about the improvements I made to my operation. Because in the grand scheme of things what I did was small. Leaving UPS was not something that I wanted to do but more like something I needed to do, and it saddens me. I think UPS is a great place to work and let me say that management at UPS is not all bad there are great managers and supes that are just freaking burnt out. I believe that management really has to do a better job at having the right people promoted and some sort of mentoring program. I feel that the front line friend/T supervisors are very important and key position to the profitability of the company and I dont realize why UPS does not have more concern to make sure the right people get those positions and that these people are trained properly. I think that its amazing that UPS puts people in charge of DPS when they couldnt even navigate them self out of a wet paper bag. Or sends a prospective On Car Supe to go drive in a center and he is now the worst driver in that center but somehow he still gets a management position. Its just a little dumbfounding to me.

Earlier today I was reading one of my legacy book. I actually thoroughly enjoy reading about UPS's history and all the great leaders that have made the company the giant it is today. I believe UPS is founded on some very strong and sound principles. The legacy books are quite interesting and inspiring reads. But I feel alot of management replaces integrity with perception. I agree that alot of management at ups has successfully graduated with a BA in BS.

Now at the same time non management also could use a bit of a wake up call. I believe the union is important because if it were not in place UPS would turn into something similar to a sweatshop. But if I was a driver I would be pissed if the guy on the route next to me was slacking off all day making more money and less work by milking the clock. If I was in that position id be ripping that guy apart every morning untill he came in an hour under. (which would probably never happen but at least he will get the point that he sucks) I believe that too many drivers are currently employed that should not have jobs. The only people I can blame for that though is management. Ive seen too many people that made their book and then began to play the BS games and just downright sucked. You guys should be mad about this.

I know im not gonna solve all of UPS's problems because to me this is the same as having a conversation about domestic politics. The system is just too screwed up and manipulated. The change has to start at the bottom and work its way up more COMPETENT management being promoted and rising within the ranks.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Ripple: Your run on Post is not worthy of reading.

OK, I admit, I got halfway through the first para. and realized that you are full of crzaP.
That's Eastern Block crap which is really bad.

Come back in 2014 and make another "I'm not disrespecting" comment.
Isn't it time for bed?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Ha Ha. I'm in the US. Are you Taliban or Hamis? That's how they spell it there.
Good night. Need a story?

browniehound

So, let me get this right...

You took a center in "shambles", then turned "stellar" numbers, had very happy drivers. You got promoted multiple times.

How did all that happen? Why was the center poor before you and what did you do to improve it? Tell me about the numbers?

What was your NDPPH improvement? How were your Vital Statistics? Mileage index?

You must have improved over/under while simultaneously improving ERI? Others thought this was impossible.

I'm sorry, your story just doesn't add up.... Give me more info.

P-Man

I think I smell a "Troll" P-man. Its my guess, and ONLY a guess or maybe a possiblity that this poster is an hourly that is thinking about putting a letter in. He posts this to field opinions from the forum to help sway his desicion. Agiain, its only a guess and I could 100% wrong. I just though I'd throw that out there.

Its just a weird post because I don't know too many people (in any proffesion) who "loved their job", "my people loved me", and did an outstanding job that leave for lesser opportunities.

Again, I apologize if I'm wrong

RippleX482

First off I did not say what position I held. But if you must know I made it from P/T Driver to friend/T Supervisor in 1 year. Why because I know what im doing and I get results. Here is a nice picture of the UPS partner plaque when I recieve my first MIP. Need any more proof you guys. Maybe I can send you my employee ID and copy of my paycheck. Maybe you would like me to name drop and embarrass some management with stories that could have got them fired on the spot. Wouldn't that be exciting

Secondly this is the reason that I had never posted is because then I would have to get into dumb conversations like this with schmucks like you. I like UPS and yes I loved my job. Why? because of the challenge. Im an adrenaline junkie what can I say UPS was exciting new challenges every day a different problem. I just feel that poor management mistreats their employees and renders them less effective Union or Management. I could have easily climbed up that corporate ladder another rung or more if I felt that is what I wanted to do. But I decided to leave why not because of the job, it was the BS politics and butt kissing that UPS is now built on. I had managers to tell me to slow down not do so good cause there is always next year. That is the sand bagging attitude that is holding back performance. But why? Management only fixing a little problem so they can be a hero next month or next year. I can talk about this till we are blue in the face. Supervisors that I worked with hated their jobs hated everything about what they had to do every day but did it for a paycheck. To me that's call selling yourself out. I wanted to be more content with my work life balance so I left.

Photo on 2010-06-25 at 23.53.jpg
Photo on 2010-06-25 at 23.53.jpg

DS

Fenderbender
It took you 6 years to realize what we told you 6 years ago.
I respect you for your determination to make ups s better place.
I hope you find something better.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
To each his/her own, as hoaxster said management is not for everyone, obviously you made a wrong decision, i on the other hand made the right decision, drivers will make a good living, live comfortable, and work paycheck to paycheck(most). The big difference is in management there is opportunity, the opportunity to make more money, take different assignments, advancement, and working towards a personal goal. I came out of high school started working for UPS on the preload, then a driver, then into management. 36 years later i have retired, financially me and my family will be taken care of for the rest of our lives, put my children through college, graduate school and i paid for everything (cash), my kids have no student loans, they work even though financially they do not have to because UPS gave me the OPPRTUNITY for success and i took it. Sorry it did not work out for you.

The opportunity now is not what it was for the earlier management folks. The company was growing quickly, promotions were a dime a dozen, people were promoted to center and division levels that couldn't even write a coherent paragraph or speak intelligently in front of a group. Benefits were great, and management got rich on MIP. Those days are over.

RippleX482

It took you 6 years to realize what we told you 6 years ago.
I respect you for your determination to make ups s better place.
I hope you find something better.

Well it didnt take me that long. Its funny how my supervisors were telling me how the job is great and all that jazz. Then a few months later we are sitting in the same office as equals and they are humming a whole other tune.

Found something though it made me move to the east coast so Im gonna experience my first real winter I hope I survive.

Thanks and to all good luck.

Mapp

Choo Choo
I had managers to tell me to slow down not do so good cause there is always next year. That is the sand bagging attitude that is holding back performance. But why? Management only fixing a little problem so they can be a hero next month or next year.

This is the biggest problem within UPS today.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Mapp you are exactly right.

RippleX482 thank you for all your hard work and good luck in your new job.

22.34life

Man do i get sick of all the complaining from management about how they make me work to many hours ,they move me to sorts i dont want to work and on and on.Look you knew what you signed up for,once you become management you no longer just work for ups ,you are here to make ups a more profittable and productive place,you signed up to care about these things no matter what.If they need you to work 2 sorts and work 14 hr days for a week than hey thats the job and you knew it.If you wanted to get paid for every hour you worked and not get calls whenever they need you or not get get sent to a hub clear across town with 2 hours notice than you should have stayed hourly.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Lol. But, the color of your skin and the design of one's genitalia sure does make a difference!!!

There's a quota on both sides I would imagine. That is why I get a kick out of management talking about "union slugs". Many of them are an eoe quota and if they're slugs then why have them make book? Why's that the unions fault, did the union hire and hold them? It's an evil, evil machine on all sides, ain't it? :D

Sorry for the OT..