Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsam

Staff member
You said science and religion are both a constant search for understanding, after saying they both increase our understanding of the world, and after I jag said that science refines our understanding via testable theories. You have a habit of conflating faith and science, such as claiming that science is faith based, and then calling foul when I press you for details on how faith increases our understanding of the world in the same way as science.

And, as I've said before, I agree, faith and science are not inherently opposed. Some people try to make it so by attempting to discredit science in one way or the other or vice versa; but as far as I'm concerned they fulfill different purposes. The only time I have a problem with religion is when it tries to impose its will in detrimental ways - outlawing birth control, demonizing evolution and science in general, or encouraging ignorance for the sake of maintaining faith. Other than that, if faith works for you, go for it.
Faith based science: The first nuclear blast test. It was reasonable at the time to believe it would start an unstoppable chain reaction. They did it anyway.

wkmac

I've had similar thoughts about the universe - specifically whether or not consciousness couldn't be considered as a fundamental force in the same way gravity and EM are interwoven into the fabric of reality, and that we are acted upon by it and experience it in the same way massive objects experience gravity.

Of course, this is just a fanciful notion and I can't imagine how we would test it.

I'm fascinated by the discussion over consciousness yet I'm not convinced any real conclusions have emerged to settle the debate one way or the other.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Wait, you think the world was created 10k years ago?

Religion "explains" the unexplainable to the weak-minded. Haven't you heard about the "Young Earth" theory, or the folks who believe man co-existed with dinosaurs? For the faithful, who can find "evidence" by interpreting the Bible as they see fit, it all makes sense.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Faith based science: The first nuclear blast test. It was reasonable at the time to believe it would start an unstoppable chain reaction. They did it anyway.

Good try. People used to think the Earth was flat too. Some still do. Were the people who sailed over the horizon and didn't fall off also faith-based scientists?

Last edited:

Timn17

No. I think that for what religion has to teach us today, it really doesn't matter if it was created 10,000 years ago or 38 million years ago. Personally I'm fine with 150 million years ago--give or take several million.
What in the world? What? Just what?

First off, no one says the world is 138-150 million years old. It's about 4.5 billion years old. And religion has nothing to do with it. The age of the earth is important to understanding geography, the climate, and evolution. Time scales in the billions sew incredibly hard to comprehend, but they're necesary to wrap your head around things like speciation and the formation of the continents. These things simply couldn't have happened in 150 mil years, let alone 10k.

Do you base your opinion on the age of the earth on whether or not you find its age useful to your religion? Again, here I was thinking your faith had at least partially spared your thinking mind. Sorry, I'm just astounded. Do you just pick a nice sounding number?

Timn17

No it wasn't. That's a myth. Do you honestly think they would do something likely to destroy the entire world just forkicks?

Timn17

And even if they did do that, how would that qualify as faith based? It would be utterly disastrous stupidity. Is that your definition of faith? Doing something almost sure to be catastrophic because it might benefit you?

Timn17

I'm fascinated by the discussion over consciousness yet I'm not convinced any real conclusions have emerged to settle the debate one way or the other.
Yeah, the evidence definitely points to materialism, but it's such a profound mystery that it's impossible to say right now. Until someone can describe how consciousness emerges from a collection of unconscious particles, no one can say for sure. Although I lean towards materialism strongly simply because if you alter someone's brain, you alter their consciousness as well.

One thing that's always fascinated me though, is that if you believe in a strictly physical interpretation of the universe: we are literally the universe observing itself, composed mainly of elements produced in exploding stars.

Timn17

Religion "explains" the unexplainable to the weak-minded. Haven't you heard about the "Young Earth" theory, or the folks who believe man co-existed with dinosaurs? For the faithful, who can find "evidence" by interpreting the Bible as they see fit, it all makes sense.
Of course, I guess I put too much faith in my fellow humans intelligence. I mean, really? It's depressing.

wkmac

I think the flat earth analogy is far over used (abused) for effect. Even ancient astronomers understood the roundness of our world just by observations of the sky. Looking north they could see the fixed position of our north star along the axis point but as one moved north, the further they traveled, the further overhead the north star would move. Go far enough and the north star would be overhead. Travel far enough south and the north star would move lower and lower on the horizon until out of sight.

On a flat earth, the north star would stay fixed in the sky regardless how much one moved in any direction.

newfie

That may be true Old but this presents what I think is a real problem here in this thread. The definition of terms. Hope, faith, belief, what do they actually mean? What is the history and the historical meaning of those terms and then how were those terms used and grafted into our culture in regards to social mores, religious or otherwise? Is my use of those terms correct? Is your use correct? Is anyone here at all using the terms correctly?

Seems to me until some consensus on terms is arrived at, any discussion that moves forward for any benefit goes nowhere.

As to the point about religion and science. There was a time where religion and science were not separated at all and yet there were points in history where religion was not also as rigid and dogmatic, even literal. There was space to breath and move around in. And not that science can't have its own rigidity and dogmatism too.

One of my favorite quotes is from the late Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman who speaking to a group of science teachers said, "Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts."

As to the nature of science and religion, before being crushed by Christianity, there were schools of thought within so-called paganism, a term of abuse imposed by christians, that did wonderful work and yet easily moved in and out of both worlds of religion and science. One example would be the great city of Alexandria and among its philosophical schools often called mystery schools was the central source of knowledge in the Library of Alexandria. Now christians often get the blame for the knowledge lost in Alexandria but it is a bit more complicated than that. Also the muslims had a hand in it as well but the great war of Christianity and Paganism as a result of Christian Orthodoxy post Constantine did not help matters at all. The great Alexandrian pagan scholar Hypatia and her tragic story may well be a good account of this and many feel was the death knell that carried our world into the 1000 years known as the dark ages. I on some level subscribe to that but more generally than specifically to Hypatia herself.

But in regards to science, science holds a great debt to religion and in fact to Islam specifically. As christianity was deep in the throws of ignorance and bloodshed as religion was abused for the sake of power, in Islam an enlightenment was at work. In the late 10th century was born Ibn-al-Haytham who would go on to change the world of science as we know it. And it was interesting that this eye opening moment came about when in the early 11th century, Ibn moved to none other than Egypt and from his learning there emerged what we today refer to as the Scientific Method. More on Ibn-al-Haythem found here but there are many sources should one choose to look.

Yep, it was from the world of Islam that science got its foundational method to which it establishes what is called truth or fact. At TAM (The Amazing Meeting) a few years back, Neil deGrasse Tyson spoke of this very subject along with the fact that much of Astronomy and mathematics came from the Islamic world and during a time christians were locked in their own dungeon of ignorance and abuse, again, not for the sake of religion but for the sake of power. Religion only served as the weapon. Sound familiar? We're not really that complicated you know! ;)

It is also suggested that the Genesis story and what science sez about the creation of our universe matches on some level and I can see why some would argue that. As I said elsewhere, the father of the Big Bang theory, Catholic Priest George Lemaitre, saw the Big Bang and its singularity as the source, the cosmic egg of all being, in his case God. The irony that science has taken the hypothesis of a religious man and moved it forward to offer a secular explanation of our being here. As to the creation stories (yes stories as in more than 1) the english translation does seems to make that claim valid but do the Hebrew source language and culture of the time support such a conclusion?

At another time because it will get in depth in order to do both sides justice, I'd like to take that claim on using the bible itself along with contextual scholarship of the bible and see if such claim is indeed valid in the first place. It may well be so.

The backstory also explains (solves the contradiction) why the order of creation in Genesis Chapter 1 differs from the order of creation in Chapter 2 (thus more than 1 story) and that the Chapter 2 story (7th to 6th century BCE) predates the Chapter 1 (post Babylonian exile) and chapter 1 was to impose the new monotheism to supplant the old polytheism of Chapter 2.

Hmmmm! ;)

its ok , god will help you in your search for an answer.

newfie

If so, we have no way whatsoever to confirm or deny that notion. Either way, if true, it's totally meaningless, as if anything from outside our reality had any effect on it, it would effectively cease to be outside our universe, rendering your assertion moot.

moot is the attempt to moot an answer

newfie

I know its Pat Robertson so nothing is off limits to the extremes of the absurd but Christianity does itself no favors when it tolerates this kind of lunacy. Seems to me one could argue and debate the lifestyle and life choices of David Bowie without such leaps off the cliff of rational and reality. Some argue that the absurdity of the Westboro Baptists are a mere anomaly and on some level this may be true but then again, are other christians just better at nuance?

Robertson: “David Bowie Is Not Dead, He Was Kidnapped By Demons Summoned By Rock Music”

god will answer your questions if you will listen

newfie

How is explaining my view point preaching? I'm not trying to 'convert' anyone and I've even said multiple times that I have no problem with people who believe faith makes their life more fulfilling.

your passion for your "religion' is evident

newfie

While true that many religious people have had a profound impact on science, I would take issue with your phrasing. I would say that science owes a great debt to religious people, and maybe even the religious impulse to search for understanding and meaning, but not religion itself. Religion is in most cases stagnant by nature, but certainly its infrastructure has in the past provided a fertile ground for science to flourish. Without the Catholic churches proclivity for obtaining and restoring ancient works, for example, we probably would've lost many very old and very important works of Western philosophy/proto science/biology, etc.

Of course, this ties into the issue of definitions you mentioned. It is very important to arrive at a common consensus for terms, as these types of debates often hinge on or fall apart over common terminology or the lack thereof. The distinction between religion itself/religious people or religious sentiment being a good example.

there is clearly much anguish within, hopefully you will listen to god and find your answer.

Timn17

I think the flat earth analogy is far over used (abused) for effect. Even ancient astronomers understood the roundness of our world just by observations of the sky. Looking north they could see the fixed position of our north star along the axis point but as one moved north, the further they traveled, the further overhead the north star would move. Go far enough and the north star would be overhead. Travel far enough south and the north star would move lower and lower on the horizon until out of sight.

On a flat earth, the north star would stay fixed in the sky regardless how much one moved in any direction.
I agree that the whole flat earth thing is overblown, as most educated people have known about its spherical nature since at least the time of Aristotle. However, there are some passages in the bible which suggest the authors believed in a flat earth.

I mention this because it's always interesting to see which issues religious people defer to science on and which they refuse to budge on. It clues you in to their most fundamental beliefs, and it charts the steady progress of science over time. The list of things considered unknowable by science and thus the sole province of religion has steadily grown smaller and smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.