Repeat of 2013 peak?

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
You can do all the work you want or they want after 60 hours, you just cannot drive.

So for example, say you start at 6 a.m. Monday helping preload, then begin driving at 9 a.m., drive for no more than 11 hours returning to the building at exactly 8 p.m. reaching 14 hours on duty. (assume no meal for ease of calculation) Now you jump for 4 more hours until 12 p.m. where you clock out. Now you cannot drive until 10 hours off duty. You repeat this for 3 more days and on Thursday you only have 6 driving hours available so you start at 9 a.m.then stop driving at 3 p.m. Now you jump for 9 more hours putting you at 69 hours. You are only allowed 60 in a 7 day period so now you cannot drive again until you satisfy the 34 hour restart provision, so 10 a.m. Saturday you will have hours available to drive. If you continue to work, but not drive, within the 7 day period you will not be in violation unless you drive without satisfying the 34 hour restart.

This is why hours worked at a second job count toward your HOS, even if you do not have a second driving job. Everyone records and reports those hours, don't they?

The regulations are all in FMCSA 49 CFR Part 395

Just realized my example ignored the 10 hr rest period requirement but I think you get the idea. I must have been talking as I typed that!

Overpaid Union Thug

Today is a fail too. And it seems the company thinks the antidote is helpers. LOL! We are using the same amount of routes as last year. Well, volume goes up every year so that is setting us up for failure already. And any "unexpected" spike in volume is just the nail in the coffin.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

We have guys going out with 250-300 stops/400 plus pieces with no helpers!! They are advertising on the the radio for helpers and the ones that come in only want to work three hours

35years

Gravy route
Rolling stops every day here. Snowball effect will ensure that we will not dig out till at least 1 week from today. But I don't see volume dropping off enough to let us dig out. The new reality is that people under 40 shop online, not in stores. Even some old guys like me do all their shopping online. Cyber Monday/Black Friday is just part of the overall trend towards direct to consumer shipping.

I hope UPS will be able to come up with a plan in the future that deals with the need for surge staffing. I wish they would stop threatening Holiday surcharges, and implement them! Supply and demand applies to service companies too. We could make Wall Street happy (higher margins) and control volume/service if we did.

35years

Gravy route
Rolling is technique and an art.
In all your years in management did you ever imagine we would be missing the same stops day after day after day? Hundreds, sometimes thousands of stops left in bldg and hundreds brought back as missed. Atlanta better wake up or we will become known as a second rate delivery outfit. There are better ways to increase margins.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Rolling stops every day here. Snowball effect will ensure that we will not dig out till at least 1 week from today. But I don't see volume dropping off enough to let us dig out. The new reality is that people under 40 shop online, not in stores. Even some old guys like me do all their shopping online. Cyber Monday/Black Friday is just part of the overall trend towards direct to consumer shipping.

I hope UPS will be able to come up with a plan in the future that deals with the need for surge staffing. I wish they would stop threatening Holiday surcharges, and implement them! Supply and demand applies to service companies too. We could make Wall Street happy (higher margins) and control volume/service if we did.

This plan that you refer to will include Saturday and, when needed, Sunday delivery.

We will be delivering residential stops on the 20th.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Today is a fail too. And it seems the company thinks the antidote is helpers. LOL! We are using the same amount of routes as last year. Well, volume goes up every year so that is setting us up for failure already. And any "unexpected" spike in volume is just the nail in the coffin.
And they want the work done twice as fast with s helper...I never had a tight Resi area so there were very few times where the helper and myself were making deliveries at the same time...whatever

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In all your years in management did you ever imagine we would be missing the same stops day after day after day? Hundreds, sometimes thousands of stops left in bldg and hundreds brought back as missed.

Atlanta better wake up or we will become known as a second rate delivery outfit. There are better ways to increase margins.
I remember several years in the 70's and 80's when we did that
It wasn't pretty then either.

The money counters have already determined this is the best plan to make it
through huge 1 and 2 day volume surges.
Nobody is going to make long-term investments based on handling Amazon volume.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
2013 was really bad. I was being sent out with over 350 stops in a P700 that they knew I would not have a remote chance of delivering, then they'd instruct me to falsify records and sheet the 75+ missed stops as ECD when no emergency existed.

Last year I was on a new route, but peak was a cake walk due to management overcompensating for 2013.

This year they gave me a helper when they normally do, and have put in extra routes, but they waited to bring in the rental trucks until the day before thanksgiving instead of a month early. Last year my dispatch didn't get crazy until a week before Christmas, but this year it has already hit 200% of my usual load a couple times. You know you're screwed when the helper timecard shows "Approved Hours:" 9, 10, 11, etc rather than their usual ridiculous "1.723 hours."