Ron Carey Speech

Overpaid Union Thug

This Carey guy may have had a bigger pair than all of management combined, or whatever, but apparently people currently running the show in the IBT don't have a pair to speak of because if UPS hasn't met the quota for full-time jobs then the IBT delegates have to recieve an equal portion of the blame for not stepping up and fighting for the jobs to be created...as promissed.

DorkHead

Tieguy, What`so naive? The day before the strike, our sups called every one of our accounts promising there will be no strike. On TV, a UPS spokeswomen was comparing the pension plan for Penn. as 500/month under the teamsters vs 3000/month under UPS. What she didn`t show was in NY it would be 3000/month UPS vs. 5500/month Teamsters. Which would you take Tieguy? When UPS implemented the over 70 weight limit, we struck in targeted states. UPS sued for the monies lost in those few days. An arbitrator ruled in the teamsters favor because this does affect the health and safety of the workers. Yes, Carey did spend his whole career fighting UPS and I`m glad he did. This company doesn`t care about its employees. Even you Tieguy. Are you satisfied with your IMP bonus this year???

UPS Lifer

Ron Carey had a vendetta against UPS. He won. UPS lost. When UPS loses, we all lose. Are you guys (union oriented and mgmt) going to keep living in the past or are you going to start working together to make sure there is no strike in 08.

If there is a strike in 08 ...every employee (mgmt and non-mgmt) is to blame. The winners will be FedEx, DHL etc. !!! You need to start putting the past behind you and start working for YOUR future. All your jobs depend on it and all us retirees (mgmt & non-mgmt) depend on you!!!

DorkHead

I have put the strike behind me and have been planning for my future. But I also know what this company is capable of. I am just arguing with Tieguy on what UPS says vs what UPS does. I really believe that we will have a contract where UPS and the Union will profit.

local804

Since Ron Carey did not present his economic proposals until the day before the strike I think its safe to say there really was no discussion about who would control the pension. Your side tells you the company wanted to control it. I still have papers somewhere that we presented to our teamsters that stated a pension jointly administered by both sides. All thats lost to interpretation at this point.

I actually seen the proposal from a UPS run pension giving us $5000. per month. It was in a Teamster magazine sent to my house and spoke about during our meeting. Imo I dont like the way the company (from a corp view)treats us,our customers on routes that are cut, and the supervisors that run the company for them.The $5000. they offered us 10 years ago would be $500. now.

tieguy

Banned
Tieguy, What`so naive? The day before the strike, our sups called every one of our accounts promising there will be no strike. ???

You sure about that? We had to go around and visit a whole list of customers a week before the strike. We read from a carefully worded script generated by corporate. We told each customer we hoped their would be no strike but that there was a chance it would happen. We did this to give the customers time to get their packages out of our systems.

Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkHead
Tieguy, What`so naive? The day before the strike, our sups called every one of our accounts promising there will be no strike. ???

Tieguy - You sure about that? We had to go around and visit a whole list of customers a week before the strike. We read from a carefully worded script generated by corporate. We told each customer we hoped their would be no strike but that there was a chance it would happen. We did this to give the customers time to get their packages out of our systems.

This was one of the most frustrating things about the strike-you are both right, when it came to our customers, there was no nationwide gameplan, no internal bulletin to handle it consistently. Our customers were told so many different things it was insane. I remember doing a case study in grad school about the Tylenol cyanide crisis in Chicago in the early eighties. They talked about Johnson & Johnson's swift actions to unite, take quick action, pull the product and be proactive with the public. Tylenol is still around today, leading the industry in sales (amazing) J & J even developed consumer safety packaging that didn't exist before that crisis - all told they came out of a huge catastrophe almost better then they went in.

The biggest thing they did was tell the truth right out of the gate-"We don't know what happened, but we will keep you apprised throughout the process of the investigation, meanwhile we are pulling all product" They did a great job of keeping everyone in the loop during the investigation and it is incredible that the brand survived and thrived.

UPS had absolutely no contingency plan in place for a nationwide strike. They were the largest employer of the most volatile union in the history of organized labor (teamsters), and they had no plan for the strike, it was utterly inexcusable. In the days following the work stoppage we told our customers all types of different things, but never a consistent companywide message. In many ways, '97 paved the way for our competitors to gain huge entry into our market. Our customers understood our labor landscape better than we gave them credit for - They just didn't like that we told so many of them that it would never happen, and after it happened, we told them that it would be over tomorrow- Many of them never forgot those transgressions.

It makes you wonder if even today there is a company wide emergency plan for a sustained work stoppage.

Tail_Post

Management
Here, Here...Spoken like someone with at least half a brain. When these other idiots can come to their senses, maybe then we can get something accomplished Good one UPS LIFER!

W

Will work for PAS

UPS had absolutely no contingency plan in place for a nationwide strike. They were the largest employer of the most volatile union in the history of organized labor (teamsters), and they had no plan for the strike, it was utterly inexcusable...

It makes you wonder if even today there is a company wide emergency plan for a sustained work stoppage.

We have a contingency this time - PAS/EDD. If there's ever another strike we'll be able to be at full strength again in no time. For those that worked through the last strike - imagine how much we could have gotten done with PAS and a few temporary workers. I'm definitely not saying that I want to see that happen but it's definitely a contingency plan.

Iconoclast

what contingency plan were you looking for?

What to do in case of nationwide work stoppage. What do we release to the press, what do we tell our customers, what are the procedures for our management team, do we have specific regional action teams, how will our people cross the picket line etc. All of that was completely up in the air when the strike happened. Using the comparison for the Tylenol case-J & J had no idea wht was going to go down when the cyanide laed productkilled hose people, but they did have clearly defined action plans in case of emergency.

Quantas Airlines has never lost one of their planes to a crash, but bet your bottom dollar their flight crews are trained in case of an emergency.

I'll say it again, it bears repeating-UPS is the largest employer of the most volatile union in the history of organized labor, there should have been an action plan for a strike.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Interesting guy. Probably the first teamster president to not milk money from the pension plan yet may have done more than any other teamster president to hurt it. 97 was the time to negotiate over fixing the pension. Carey wanted no part of it.

He also did more to help UPS's competitors then any other teamster president. Before 97 approximately 85 percent of all shippers were single carrier. Not any more. Fdx's largest shipper is a medical shipper based out of Chicago. We promised them we would not go on strike and they have never forgotten it and never returned.

In Careys mind this was somehow a victory.
Tie dont blame carey for losing that 1 account while your businees development team and billing department and the sales lead 800 number out of india has lost more proven and potential customers for ups that could have made up for that 1 customer 1000xs over! I did vote to strike then and i cant say i wouldnt vote to do it again, sometimes thats the only bargaing power a company has when management wants to do what they want when they want. Now im not speaking at you just about the companies procedures overall and you represent that view!

tieguy

Banned
Tie dont blame carey for losing that 1 account while your businees development team and billing department and the sales lead 800 number out of india has lost more proven and potential customers for ups that could have made up for that 1 customer 1000xs over! I did vote to strike then and i cant say i wouldnt vote to do it again, sometimes thats the only bargaing power a company has when management wants to do what they want when they want. Now im not speaking at you just about the companies procedures overall and you represent that view!

I have no problem with you feeling that way. I personally thought we should have left you folks out there. The only consolation prize we could have gotten at that point was assuring the customers it would never happen again because we broke the union. Instead we allowed you guys the opportunity to take a two week vacation with no consequence.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I have no problem with you feeling that way. I personally thought we should have left you folks out there. The only consolation prize we could have gotten at that point was assuring the customers it would never happen again because we broke the union. Instead we allowed you guys the opportunity to take a two week vacation with no consequence.
It was a 19 day vacation here in chicago, and what do you mean leave us out there. We just would have gone to work for dhl and the customers would have followed and then we would have left you in there with no work. Remember the customers like us the drivers not the sups mismanaging back at the barns.

tieguy

Banned
what contingency plan were you looking for?

What to do in case of nationwide work stoppage. What do we release to the press, what do we tell our customers, what are the procedures for our management team, do we have specific regional action teams, how will our people cross the picket line etc. All of that was completely up in the air when the strike happened. Using the comparison for the Tylenol case-J & J had no idea wht was going to go down when the cyanide laed productkilled hose people, but they did have clearly defined action plans in case of emergency.

Quantas Airlines has never lost one of their planes to a crash, but bet your bottom dollar their flight crews are trained in case of an emergency.

I'll say it again, it bears repeating-UPS is the largest employer of the most volatile union in the history of organized labor, there should have been an action plan for a strike.

everyone (including snot nosed kids hired from the outside) is an expert when looking at the situation in the rear view mirror. Fact is our contractual history is one where the teamsters and ups posture for position. No one actually thought anyone would actually be stupid enough to push the button for a strike. Till then. Shoulda, coulda , woulda is easy afterwards.

tieguy

Banned
It was a 19 day vacation here in chicago, and what do you mean leave us out there. We just would have gone to work for dhl and the customers would have followed and then we would have left you in there with no work. Remember the customers like us the drivers not the sups mismanaging back at the barns.

LOL, Nice try . No DHL back then . Airborne or fdx or the post office.