RV LIFESTYLE

Babagounj

Strength through joy
RV Travel on a Budget: A Mother and Son's Guide to Roadschooling the USA

In 2009, single-mom, Juniper, sold her home in the northwest part of the United States to take off with her six year old son, Rockett, on a roadschooling adventure in the original "Tiny House"...a recreational vehicle. Along the way, they learned how to travel within a tight budget while getting a great education. With seven years of experience behind them, both share their thoughts and experiences about their continuing journey and give a glimpse with photos of over 50 exciting places they've visited. Some are well known and others are unique spots you would not find in a regular camping guide. Whether you are seeking advice on how to find work, how to purchase a recreational vehicle, what to pack or where to park, this book offers plenty of useful tips for families who want to make similar lifestyle choices.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Do yourself a huge favor---get a AAA membership with an RV endorsement.

My brother bought a used RV and had a breakdown which would have cost him at least $700 just in towing had he not had the coverage.
I've always refused those for my wife's vehicles because she likes to trade every 3 years whereas I've still got my 2000 Tundra Limited V8 4x4.
I recently bought a Toyota 4Runner SR5 that I plan to upgrade/customize to my aesthetics and for light Off-Roading in the Smokies and out West.
I bought the basic 10 year / 100,000 mile with a another package I wanted for no extra money.
My chances of needing these just went up.

wkmac

I've always refused those for my wife's vehicles because she likes to trade every 3 years whereas I've still got my 2000 Tundra Limited V8 4x4.
I recently bought a Toyota 4Runner SR5 that I plan to upgrade/customize to my aesthetics and for light Off-Roading in the Smokies and out West.
I bought the basic 10 year / 100,000 mile with a another package I wanted for no extra money.

Google Overlanding. This is what we are doing with the rig we're building. We thought about the RVing thingy but decided "WAY OFF" the beaten path is where we want to go.

rod

Retired 22 years
Google Overlanding. This is what we are doing with the rig we're building. We thought about the RVing thingy but decided "WAY OFF" the beaten path is where we want to go.

As long as you don't try to convert an old school bus into an overlander or RV things will be fine. Broken down school busses are a dime a dozen sitting along the road around here---especially during deer season.

wkmac

I wanna build a sick overland E-350 powerstroke someday. Can't wait!!

Something to think about. 2 weeks ago we drove about a 1/3rd of a mile up a mountain stream and a friend-350 would have been to big. I barely cleared one tree by only about 5 inches but I had to hug the left bank hard. The Tundra's 400 hp and 4.30 gears pulled over the rocks and through the holes without me even giving it gas. I'm planning on installing ARB air lockers and 4.56 gears for 35 inch tires but the truck never slipped at all. We're planning a fall or winter trip on the Georgia Traverse and the Southeastern portion of the TransAmerica Trail (TAT). Fall 2018' is trip to SW Colorado and then on to Moab and White Rim Trail and 120 mile traverse of Canyonlands .
After that my avatar is the clue.

wkmac

Whoa.... that's serious business. Where do you plan on going?

The ultimate goal is a 14k mile, 3 month trip to the Arctic Ocean and back. This will be a late summer arrival in Tuktoyatuk NWT Canada . Wife is good with this one so she'll be co-driver, navigator but already been invited to join a return trip with 3 other rigs but that trip will be in January and February. The wife sez she'll stay home on that one. The hope is to be able to drive the 100 or so miles down the ice of the McKenzie River and then out onto the ice of the Arctic Ocean to drive into Tuktoyatuk. That trip will take a lot of prep and planning as it goes to a whole other level. I'll be in your town at the Biltmore for Overland Expo East last weekend of September.

Last edited:

wkmac

As long as you don't try to convert an old school bus into an overlander or RV things will be fine. Broken down school busses are a dime a dozen sitting along the road around here---especially during deer season.

No school bus here. $80k plus tricked out 4x4 with off road trailer.

oldngray

nowhere special
pictures-21-12.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Extended warranties are not the same as an auto club membership.