Safety Compliance.

Spiderman

Package Slinger
It's been almost 3 months since I joined the safety committee, and I have yet to accomplish anything. I've drilled drivers on safe methods and DOK (Depth Of Knowledge), listened in on conference calls, but that's pretty much all I've done.

I recently reported that my pkg car had been damaged, while being used by a cover driver. This "accident" was conveniently covered up, so that it wouldn't go on the accident frequency report. Our mechanic told me that he would have to write up the replacement of my pkg car mirror arm and part of my TP60, as accidents. I told him to go ahead, and reported this to my On-Road, who was seated in the "safety zone" having a conversation with the Division safety manager DSM. The on-road got all red in the face and blasted off to go speak with the mechanic.

After punching out, I went upstairs to speak with the DSM. I told her that I was contemplating quitting as safety co-chair, due to the fact that I was never trained and didn't really do anything, besides what I listed above. She blah blah blah-ed me, for like 25 minutes. She ended by saying, basically, that mgmt is in charge of safety. So as I understood it, mgmt has control over what slips out and gets reported, and what doesn't. During this conversation, my on-road, got red faced again, and started telling me, "Haven't you punched, don't you need to leave".

That is the last straw for me. I am hereby resigning from the safety committee for the following reasons.

1: After having realized that I was speaking out of my butt, when telling people to be safe and do the methods, I was not doing, I turned around and did all of the methods, as required, which made me go significantly slower on my route than I had previously gone. My supervisor and manager were all over me about going over 9/5. I told them that I had too much work and had I done the route as it was supposed to be done, in the first place, the stops would be lower than what they assumed I was "capable" of. I received a warning letter for a ONE DAY OJS ride. How can this happen, when they have no comparative data?

2: The person that delivers the mall has 2 handcarts, and is expected to push/pull both of them, simultaneously. How is this "safe"?

3: Drivers are working, even though they are injured.

4: Drivers still talk on handheld cell phones while driving.

5: The myriad of other unsafe behavior that mgmt puts blinders to.

MGMT wants to nit pick the things you do when you run "overallowed", but when you are pleasing to the numbers, everything is okay. That being said, I believe that UPS touting safety is a farce. The safety committee is full of politics that I refuse to be a party to. If UPS wanted a real safety committee, they'd make it unattached to corporate mgmt/UPS. As with all of my posts, this has been my opinion.
had someone back into the rear of my pkg car today. they hit pretty ahrd but there was no danmage to either vehicle. i called it in to cma and was told that since there was no damage the i nedn't wory. i agree with this action although i think i could have said there was no damage even though there was.

crazygill

Safety Yea what a joke How about washing our windows & side mirror for a start we all have gone up to a week or more without a car wash for the last 3 months trying to save money who care about our life or others. 1/2 our center country mud so bad in morning we have to wipe our tail light lenes off so people can see us when we stop or turn, rest of truck not brown but cream. I got 23 years at ups never have I been so dam mad glad all most over good luck younger drivers you will need it.

crazygill

If you want a real eye opener ask you sup to give you a copy of your area lay out of the time you get to make dilv and pick ups thats what time they give you to do your route. better sit down each area is worth one amount if you walk 500 yards or 25 ft all the same if you pick up 10 boxes or 100 same you get time for the stop and pcs, SAFTY FIRST BOYS don't rush

Spiderman

Package Slinger
Anbody else getting these after market, non-oem parts added to their old 800's/1000's? First picture is an extra long handrail in the front passenger side. pic 2 and 3 are handrails connected to the rear shelves from 5999-6999 and 7999-8999.
100_9105.jpg
100_9107.jpg
100_9106.jpg

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Anbody else getting these after market, non-oem parts added to their old 800's/1000's? First picture is an extra long handrail in the front passenger side. pic 2 and 3 are handrails connected to the rear shelves from 5999-6999 and 7999-8999.
We have similar handrails for the front but I would love to have the ones in the back. That is a great idea.

ol'browneye

Not a big mookie wilson fan, are ya? Poor Bill Buckner. Did you know Mookie Wilson is a truck driver: knows how to hustle on and off the field.

And the #1 reason the Mets are pondscum:

The Mets have a player named Mookie,
the pondscum-everbody's named Mookie!
:rofl:
One of Letterman's all-time best!

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
As the new Safety Co-Chair of 3343, I've started looking at things a little bit differently than I had as regular old Steve The Ups Guy (STUG). I'm sort of surprised at the things I take for granted while driving, and in my everyday life. I'm just like the next driver, you know, the one that wants to get done and off the clock as quickly as possible.

Day one for me started in the unload. At 30 years old, I was in good shape, but the pace absolutely wore me out. I did everything I could to impress the preload supe. I twisted, I turned, I yanked, I pulled, I did whatever I could to get those feeder's unloaded.

When I went air driving and finally to full time driver, I did the same. I drove like a maniac, jumped down the steps (if I even used the steps), ran up the driveway, through the bushes or over the grass, dropped the pkg/s and sprinted right back to the pkg car, as if I was in some sort of relay race.

Over time I developed some very bad habits. This was all done in the name of pleasing the "man". In April of 2000 I started having pain in my upper left leg. I can tell you now, the "man", was not very pleased. Turns out that all of that running, jumping and unsafe behavior, tore cartilage in my hip socket. Funny how upset the boss can get when you injure yourself, but is absolutely okay with you going out there and killing yourself, day in and day out.

After hip surgery and rehab, a total of 2 1/2 years, I returned to work just in time for peak of 2002. After enduring countless safety rides/observations and performance evaluations, I found myself under the radar again. I'm actually in better shape now than I was in my 20's. Had I just worked following the methods, would I still be telling this story?

Safety compliance, though boring as hell, is necessary.
It's necessary for a couple of reasons.
1: It cover UPS's, you know what.
2: It gives drivers/inside workers guidelines for safe behavior.

When used properly, these tools really do work. The main reason for UPS sitting it's employees down, and going over all of the safety compliance points, is so that it all becomes second nature. We need these rules, just like we need the instruction we get before we begin the job. I don't know if you realize how often you use the compliance in your everyday lives as a UPS'er and while off the clock. That's the point, being safe here, and being safe there.

I know that a lot of us, me included, hate sitting through those boring safety meetings. The meetings where they have you copy the answers from the master sheet? Or where you watch the video where the one guy is talking and he has a really silly sidekick? How about when they ask you the questions and they want the answers verbatim? That last point is the hardest for me. Why Verbatim? I want to answer in my own way. Then I was asked by someone on my route, if I knew where a store was that was off of my route. I instantly spouted off where it was, and what the address was. Now if I can do that, I can surely learn some safety stuff and spout it out verbatim.

Just think, the pilot of flight 1549 had to go through the same safety compliance we go through. I know, we're not pilots and hundreds of people are not in our hands, right? That's not necessarily so. There are hundreds and thousands of people on our roadways. How would you like to be responsible for one of them not going to be with there families tonight? Just as in this near disaster, something will occur, that will not be your fault, as well. Will you plug your ears, and go out, winging it daily? Or will you at least fill up on these rules and be prepared, afterall, it's not just your job that's hanging in the balance.

The people on that airliner were saved by safety compliance. The pilot and cockpit crew did what they had been instructed to do, as well as the flight attending crew. Don't let it be that it take a catastrophy to get you to remember the things you need to know. Learn them, live them and live another day.

Let's be safe out there, it really does matter.

Steve!
17 years no injuries or avoidable accidents and I cant say that stuff word for word and I doubt it if I will ever be able to. PRODUCTION! I cant wait to see how all this works out with this telewhatever and peak...lol

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
On my last OJS ride I was actually complimented to by the supe on my 20yrs without an injury!! 1o mins later I was hit with the riot act for not knowing the 8 keys to lifting & slips & falls Bullship!! YAH JUST CANT MAKE THIS STUFF UP !!!

ol'browneye

On my last OJS ride I was actually complimented to by the supe on my 20yrs without an injury!! 1o mins later I was hit with the riot act for not knowing the 8 keys to lifting & slips & falls Bullship!! YAH JUST CANT MAKE THIS STUFF UP !!!

That's right, it doesn't matter that you can demonstrate it on a daily basis and live the sayings, you sure as hell better be able to recite the stuff!

Spiderman

Package Slinger
went into the office to do the DOK questions. question 1 was, what are the 5 seeing habits, and explain them. i wrote down the 5 habits and made a note saying, I will gladly demonstrate them on my next safety ride

tourists24

Too many!
File a grievance under Article 37 of the contract. It states "the employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times....."

In addition, Sec. 3 of Art. 37 reads "Where an employee has submitted a grievance regarding an excessive number of rides, no member of management shall ride with that employee unless and until the local level hearing is concluded provided such hearing is held within 5 working days...."

rod

Retired 22 years
OJS'd again, today, what gives???

Believe me I am on your side but if you have a target on your back (and you do) I would imagine UPS has got the word that you still seem to post a picture every once in awhile that was probably taken while you were on the clock. Normally not a big deal but with you its a big no no. As far as UPS is concerened you are making fun of them. For your own sake stick with pics of the kids and your new house. If UPS even thinks for one second that you maybe doing anything but delivering packages they are going to be on you like stink on :poop: Beware my friend- beware:peaceful: