Saturday Ground

oldngray

nowhere special
Not a single one. Some still had Friday's tag on the door yet cars were added/subtracted from the driveways. Re attempted over 5 in my area alone.

The tag still on the door might mean those are fraud cases being sent to vacant houses. Not necessarily but a possibility.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
So they are rolling this out and starting to test it at my building(portland, ore). They say they aren't going to start a tues-sat shift but instead are going to use volunteers. They said they were going to start on sep 6th but they took the list down so it might be a few weeks.

Has anyone heard of this? Oh, and its ground delivery on a weekend so its top-rate for everyone plus overtime since its a 6th shift. I'm definitely signing up when they put the list back up.
Sorry its a year old, but we are going to sat in october and my residential route will be a mess for me on monday. All ups is doing is keeping up with other carriers. We were informed that if you sign the sheet to work tuesday thru saturday your are locked in. They are implementing 79 routes in our building with 21 out of our center. I believe the accident rate with jump up since your talking going out with more traffic issues and your not using the senior drivers cause i aint doing it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry its a year old, but we are going to sat in october and my residential route will be a mess for me on monday. All ups is doing is keeping up with other carriers. We were informed that if you sign the sheet to work tuesday thru saturday your are locked in. They are implementing 79 routes in our building with 21 out of our center. I believe the accident rate with jump up since your talking going out with more traffic issues and your not using the senior drivers cause i aint doing it.

Why are you assuming that your resis will be screwed up on Monday? Do you think that they give you additional work?

Yes, there will be more traffic on Saturday, but without commercial deliveries the drivers should miss most of that.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Why are you assuming that your resis will be screwed up on Monday? Do you think that they give you additional work?

Yes, there will be more traffic on Saturday, but without commercial deliveries the drivers should miss most of that.
Because ups is taking the monday delivery and delivering it on saturday, so my route wont have enough work so i will be combined with stuff little further away, Its that corporate overload plan they have in place right now, i go out with 180 or more up to 212 everyday with sixteen pickups.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Because ups is taking the monday delivery and delivering it on saturday, so my route wont have enough work so i will be combined with stuff little further away, Its that corporate overload plan they have in place right now, i go out with 180 or more up to 212 everyday with sixteen pickups.

In case you haven't noticed they have been preparing for this for the last year or so. They have been holding loads in the hubs so that Mondays would be light. This will no longer be the case---all loads will be released when processed and some of what would have delivered on Tuesday will now be delivered on Monday.

iruhnman630

The St Judes fundraisers that I work happen on Saturday mornings, not Mondays.

The group mountain bike rides I do happen on Saturday mornings, not Mondays.

College football happens on Saturday mornings, not Mondays.

Golf outings happens on Saturday mornings, not Mondays.

These are all valuable time and experiences spent with friends and moments of fun necessary to offset the comedy of errors we deal with all week, and are important to me.
UPS already owns our weeknight evenings, forcing us to beg and scramble to make time for our personal lives.

I don't mind being asked to help with the occasional Saturday, when I am available.

But don't take what little time I have away from me.

trickpony1

Addendum:

I wish we could get the number 2 seniority driver in the BOG to join Browncafe and share what it's REALLY like to have to work with Dave.

iruhnman630

We have always been contractually exposed to the possibility of weekend work, but what is likely soon to happen with Saturdays is a fundamental change in UPS' attitude towards our lives outside of UPS.

Our personal lives outside of UPS are increasingly becoming a perk of seniority

iruhnman630

However, the one route I have been holding out for will be opening soon due to retirement.

This route ridiculously gets cut on Mondays, so the wording of the bid could be very interesting

Last edited: