Seasonal workers being hired permanent before October 15th??

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by cynic, Oct 10, 2013.

1. cynic

cynic New Member

One of the seasonal hires on our sort told me they were hired as a "permanent" hire since the new contract says they can be hired up to October 15th as permanent hires. All I could say to them was to call the local union - we don't have a steward on our sort.

Does this sound correct? Or just smoke blown up their ass by HR and the FT/PT sup's?
  2. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

Typically, I tend to see the last "batch" of regular permanent employees hired in late September. If they're hired in October, they won't attain seniority before the "free" period in November/December. I don't remember reading anything about the free period for peak being reduced in the TA; if anything, it was increased into January for use of cover drivers.
  3. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

Not only that, we're still working under the old contract, correct?
  4. cynic

cynic New Member

That was my initial thought as well. They're also getting paid $8.50/hr. Didn't make sense, I do NOT like to see people lied to and screwed over.
  5. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

I was hired in mid October. They are still paying me after all these years.
  6. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

I was discussing the new hire pay and how it applies to seasonal employees with someone the other day.. while those seasonal employees would be entitled to a $1.50 x (amount of hours worked) + $2.25 x (amount of OT hours worked) check whenever the TA is approved, I have a feeling the checks for the guys that aren't retained after peak might not get mailed unless they're requested..
  7. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

In my building...they'd be blowing smoke. They'll use n abuse them thru peak...but once it slows down the end of january...they'll be either on call or sent home 3x a week...till they give up and quit. There are a few exceptions, but over the years....that's what I've seen.
  8. RealPerson

RealPerson Active Member

Just wondering why it matters???

But yes, If you are told you are hired perm, then after seasonal you are kept on...

Get it in Writing, BUT If told your are Perm, then that is what it is.

They will NOT gain seniority during seasonal period, but the day after peak is over, then the date will / can be back dated to date hired....
  9. cynic

cynic New Member

The "permanent" / seasonal hire said they were glad because their seniority would start to accrue for health insurance benefits, which is the primary reason they chose to come work at UPS at a PT'er.
  10. cynic

cynic New Member

I agree. They're rushing the seasonals through some type of (alleged) training and shoving them out the door to work in the hub. I had one seasonal come into a trailer to help me unload and they pulled down a wall on both of us by the 3rd package they touched - hey, they'll learn, it's all good but I still walked out of the trailer to the PT sup and told them I'm not a trainer and please get someone to work with the seasonal and either move me to another trailer, move the seasonal, or please get a steward as it was creating an unsafe work environment. Obviously they moved me and left the seasonal in the trailer crashing walls...
  11. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Are we? We have been told all drivers hired after August 1 are in 4 year progression. Doesn't matter that we are currently "working under the old contract"
  12. you aint even know it

you aint even know it Well-Known Troll Troll

I have a seasonal who moves like a turtle. In an essence, my seasonal is worthless.
  13. RealPerson

RealPerson Active Member

Under the New ACA, they might be correct...

There is a Lot of new laws and rules with the Obama care. Insurance has to be offered after so many hours worked....
  14. bleedinbrown58

the training is absolutely terrible whether they're temp or perm....this is a pc, here are packages....load! It's almost better throwing it in with a shovel. As far as which new hires is HR lying to now? I'd love to care but I just don't anymore.....happens every year.
  15. cynic

cynic New Member

There really is no training since they hand out the "test" and the answer sheet at the same time. Everyone gets a 100% every time...

I just hate to see people tear up their bodies for a couple months and not receiving what they were verbally told they'd be eligible to receive or accrue.
  16. slantnosechevy

slantnosechevy Active Member

Retroactive includes hiring. Anyone hired after Aug.1st. is on the new contract.
  17. love brown 1972

love brown 1972 New Member

Raise part - time
  18. bleedinbrown58

Agreed, I understand where you're coming from but answer me this...can any of them PROVE what they were verbally told?
  19. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

​They will be offered management positions once peak season is over in June 2014.
  20. cynic

cynic New Member

Nope. They're going to learn a lesson the hard way - to get any business offer in writing. I hope I'm wrong.