Seeking insight into management

FOUPS

My questions will be for anyone in full time management and those in part time management looking to go full time.

I have been afternoon oms, run Saturday operations, and night oms, with the opportunity to become preload sup in the future, and possibly learn dispatch as well. Ultimately, my goal is to go full time management, and I am wondering what jobs will be able to get me on the fast track to go full time.

First for full time management, when you were part time, what jobs did you do, and what translated to your full time work the best? Such as being a preload sup, dispatch, oms, ect.

My second question can be either full time or part time management, and I am just wondering how long you worked as a P/T sup before putting in your letter of intent for full time, then how long from that point until you got to go full time.

thank you all in advance for your help

The OP has posed some legitimate questions and is looking for some legitimate answers. I read his post, realized I did not have the answers he was looking for and decided not to post. Perhaps you should have done the same.

I guess I'm not on your ignore list. Since you are right Dave I'll offer some advice. Ive had the pleasure of knowing two really great people who are oms. They love working eight hours a day and going home. I guess it must beat those fourteen hour days that the supervisor next to them have to put up with.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I guess I'm not on your ignore list. Since you are right Dave I'll offer some advice. Ive had the pleasure of knowing two really great people who are oms. They love working eight hours a day and going home. I guess it must beat those fourteen hour days that the supervisor next to them have to put up with.

Don't you feel better now?

UPSGUY72

My questions will be for anyone in full time management and those in part time management looking to go full time.

I have been afternoon oms, run Saturday operations, and night oms, with the opportunity to become preload sup in the future, and possibly learn dispatch as well. Ultimately, my goal is to go full time management, and I am wondering what jobs will be able to get me on the fast track to go full time.

First for full time management, when you were part time, what jobs did you do, and what translated to your full time work the best? Such as being a preload sup, dispatch, oms, ect.

My second question can be either full time or part time management, and I am just wondering how long you worked as a P/T sup before putting in your letter of intent for full time, then how long from that point until you got to go full time.

I don't have any to give. I like being in the union I don't have to kiss ass to get ahead.

island1fox

Foups,
In my UPS career I performed both many hourly as well as Management positions.
Unlike a previous poster I know that you do not have to "kiss ass" to get ahead.
He seems to be a real expert on the Management positions that he himself has never held.
With that being said Management is not for everyone. I fully respect either position or decision whether to persue an hourly job or a management career.
Over a very long period I observed both very successful and dismal failures in Management.
It is a huge committment and you must have in your "bag" a whole host of abilities not all but including communication skills,organizational skills, People skills, Accountability skills,Common sense, Conflict resolution skills, leadership skills , patience and last but not least Integrity.
Some of these skills can be learned but the more you already have the easier it will be.
In today's UPS you have to be even more qualified than in the past. A strong education backround is a plus. The recent Management reductions mean many more people "competing" for the next promotion.
It is not an easy decision and should not be taken lightly. Does not mean that you should not step forward. Just think somewhere in the Company the CEO' s of the future might still be among the hourly ranks ---Many people are successful in Management and have very fufilling careers loaded with great risks and many rewards. Many people love the challenge of relocation having the opportunity of working not only in many different states but also many different countries.
Weigh different advice pro and con but bottom line get the most information you can and YOU make the best decision for what YOU want to do in life. There are no "easy " paths at UPS --Management and hourly have demanding difficult jobs.
Hope I have helped just a little bit.:peaceful:

Last edited:
There is no fast track to go full-time. You have to go through the MAPP process. There are 5 steps to going full-time management.

1. Submit Letter of Interest
2. Have your Full-time Supervisor complete the Assessment with a passing grade and have him and your manager sign it.
3. Take the AON. It's basically like the part-time supervisor test...a consistency test.
4. Take the In-Box. Test your math skills, ability to read reports, ability to compare and contrast, ability to write formal letters, and ability to pay attention and focus on detail.
5. Take the Panel. Interview with managers that do not know you. They will give you a scenario and you have an alloted amount of time to prepare an answer.

After you pass all of these, then you are put in a pool for promotion. The best way to get beyond step 2 is to start learning your Full-time Supervisor's job and the operation you are in. Start taking an initiative and show them that you are promotable and capable of covering your Full-time Supervisors position when he is on vacation. Get friendly with your upper management and show them that you are a good problem solver and can think outside the box. Show them that you are a person they can rely on to get things done.

UPSGUY72

There is no fast track to go full-time. You have to go through the MAPP process. There are 5 steps to going full-time management.

1. Submit Letter of Interest
2. Have your Full-time Supervisor complete the Assessment with a passing grade and have him and your manager sign it.
3. Take the AON. It's basically like the part-time supervisor test...a consistency test.
4. Take the In-Box. Test your math skills, ability to read reports, ability to compare and contrast, ability to write formal letters, and ability to pay attention and focus on detail.
5. Take the Panel. Interview with managers that do not know you. They will give you a scenario and you have an alloted amount of time to prepare an answer.

After you pass all of these, then you are put in a pool for promotion. The best way to get beyond step 2 is to start learning your Full-time Supervisor's job and the operation you are in. Start taking an initiative and show them that you are promotable and capable of covering your Full-time Supervisors position when he is on vacation. Get friendly with your upper management and show them that you are a good problem solver and can think outside the box. Show them that you are a person they can rely on to get things done.

You have a better chance of hitting the lottery.

UPSGUY72

Foups,
In my UPS career I performed both many hourly as well as Management positions.
Unlike a previous poster I know that you do not have to "kiss ass" to get ahead.
He seems to be a real expert on the Management positions that he himself has never held.
With that being said Management is not for everyone. I fully respect either position or decision whether to persue an hourly job or a management career.
Over a very long period I observed both very successful and dismal failures in Management.
It is a huge committment and you must have in your "bag" a whole host of abilities not all but including communication skills,organizational skills, People skills, Accountability skills,Common sense, Conflict resolution skills, leadership skills , patience and last but not least Integrity.
Some of these skills can be learned but the more you already have the easier it will be.
In today's UPS you have to be even more qualified than in the past. A strong education backround is a plus. The recent Management reductions mean many more people "competing" for the next promotion.
It is not an easy decision and should not be taken lightly. Does not mean that you should not step forward. Just think somewhere in the Company the CEO' s of the future might still be among the hourly ranks ---Many people are successful in Management and have very fufilling careers loaded with great risks and many rewards. Many people love the challenge of relocation having the opportunity of working not only in many different states but also many different countries.
Weigh different advice pro and con but bottom line get the most information you can and YOU make the best decision for what YOU want to do in life. There are no "easy " paths at UPS --Management and hourly have demanding difficult jobs.
Hope I have helped just a little bit.:peaceful:

I don't care what you say you still have to be a kiss ass and a yes person or you will never have a chance to advance in management. On the other handed there are drivers that are total idiots, can't follow directions or just don't want to, have gotten into numerous accidents and still have job.

Re-Raise

I don't care what you say you still have to be a kiss ass and a yes person or you will never have a chance to advance in management. On the other handed there are drivers that are total idiots, can't follow directions or just don't want to, have gotten into numerous accidents and still have job.

Wow I just changed my mind about putting you down as a reference on my resume...

island1fox

???????

beentheredonethat

I was promoted a while ago when the economy was much better and UPS was growing. So promotions were faster. I was PT supv in IE (while getting my BS in IE) for 1 1/2 years. Then I went driving for 9 months then was promoted as a FT IE supv. You didn't mention if you had a degree or not. If you do great. If you don't start taking classes. Education is becoming more and more important. One thing to realize is you will very likely be doing many different jobs in your career. Doing multiple jobs and being good at them is important. But you don't have to do all those jobs prior to getting promoted. It's important to do the jobs you are given as well as you can. Ask questions when you don't know how to do it and fess up when you make mistakes and learn from them and don't repeat. More and more, many jobs have more to do with business development. So doing some sales leads could,'t hurt. Good Luck

A

anonymous6

seeking insight?

Try another co if you have an ounce of integrity. just wait a couple months to see what i mean.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Several other posters have touched on several things. Rather than waiting for a chance, make your own path.

While part time, go to school. UPS will help pay for some of your classes etc. And with all the gazillion dollars that education has spent on it, you should be able to finish school without digging a deep hole.

Secondly, learn all you can about other jobs. Yes, you will have managers that will take advantage of you and your abilities, but when you are the go to guy/gal, people do take notice.

Believe in yourself. AT UPS, there are a lot of people/influences that will try to minimize your potential and your being outstanding. Unions are a good example. There is no external reward for excellence as a union member. You get paid exactly the same as the laziest scumbag on the sort/delivery unit. That tends to lower everyone to his/her level. Dont allow that to happen. Do your best, every day, then try to improve your best. Believe you can, then do it.

Negativity breeds discontent. Dont allow yourself to be surrounded by negative people.

I really believe as has been stated, that there are people right now at UPS that have the ability and talent to lead UPS into the future. I also believe that upper management is micro managing to the point that lower levels of management do not have the ability to shine, all they have become are messengers. I also believe that as in many companies, that the board will look elsewhere, as the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence..... and that is why we will no longer have someone from the ranks lead our company.

I too have seen a lot of part time sups go full time, usually drive first though. But a lot of them have also stayed on as an hourly in delivery.

As for a better chance of hitting the lottery, if you dont work for your future, then you will get whatever someone feels like giving you. But if you go out and grab the bull by the balls, you will move. Maybe not at UPS, but there are other companies that do pay well.

Best

d

FOUPS

Thanks for your replies, I guess I could have been a bit more clear, I am going through and continuing with getting my degree, I don't suck up to anyone, I just shut up, and do my job, and usually a bit of some other peoples jobs too. I am just worried that I am going to have someone say "You haven't been doing this long enough to go full time" or "You are too young" and keep me as a part time sup. While I haven't been there for years like some and I am pretty young, should this matter if you are capable? I don't think it should but that isn't always how things go, and after talking with my boss it seems like they want me to learn another 3 jobs that part timers do, so who knows how long them trying to keep me at p/t could last.