Seniority question

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by uber, Sep 25, 2012.

1. uber

uber Guest

So, what happens if two employees with the same seniority come up for a driving spot? How does the tie-breaker work?

2. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

I got screwed. It was past practice to do a coin flip. When it came time for Eric and I, all of the sudden they went alphabetically. Make sure you ask HR this question and get the answer in writing.

3. uber

uber Guest

I've heard alphabetically as well. Which is weird, I haven't got a call and the guy who started the same time as me has. But, my name is ahead of his in the alphabet.

4. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

FILE A GRIEVANCE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd sign a witness statement for you, if needed. File today! Seniority on bidding is based on your FT date.

5. uber

uber Guest

I'm going to call them this morning first and see what the deal is. If it doesn't get worked out then I'll grieve them. I'd hate to start out on someone's bad side because of an honest mistake.

6. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Agreed. But, do not let any time go by. Your 10 days start the minute you ask the question.

7. TearsInRain

TearsInRain part-time bossman

unless you were both hired with UPS on the same day, and made FT on the same day, there's no way it should come down to a coin toss

8. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

I was hired tha same day as someone else. When the FT job opening came up-one spot only, I was told by HR that the past practice was a coin toss. The labor sup said alphabetical. Who do you think I believe? Here's a clue. She doesn't work in Labor.

9. TearsInRain

TearsInRain part-time bossman

to be honest, a coin toss sounds a lot more fair than alphabetical

though ideally, i'd want to look at your records and see who has the better attendance record but of course the union wouldn't prefer that

10. laffter

laffter Active Member

I've heard that seniority is technically based on hours worked, not days employed. Is there any truth to this?

11. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Goes by your last name alphabetically is what I've always heard.

12. Shifting Contents

Shifting Contents Most Help Needed

I got screwed drawing straws. Five people with same PT hire date. All were originally seasonal hires so we all got hired back on the same day in Jan.

13. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

Coin toss here always has been.

14. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

My point about my situation was that it was a coin toss, until I came along. Past practice prevails. It would have been whatever it would have taken to get EH the job, as he was a suck-:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: at that point. Runner/gunner. Long story, as usual, but I got screwed. A** from HR told me as much. But, the teacher in Syr got his way because of our BA being another suck-:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:.

15. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Thanks, Yoda.

16. Johney

???????

17. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Coin toss here always has been?

18. Johney

OK, to determine seniority for two drivers with the same seniority date they flip(toss) a coin here.
    Better?

19. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Mmm. Decided by a coin toss, your seniority shall be!

20. uber

uber Guest

Alphabetical as it should be.

I can't get ahold of HR. What should I do. Time just keeps on ticking away.