SERIOUS safety issue with keyless entry/ ignition

Coldworld

60 months and counting
sad as it sounds maybe the best outcome for you an the involved party, assuming all injuries were minor,, would have been a collision, you both would have been rich
UPS would have found a way toput it back on the driver......sober did you talk to anyone besides the shop on it,what would happen if you grieved it because of safety.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
They have the ignition key locked up to make sure we are using the keyless system.

Sober, are you sure that you didn't accidently hit the stop button?

So you say that if I accidently hit the red button while driving the engine will shut down, it shouldn't be that way this is a serious safety issue. You wouldn't have that problem with keys, you shouldn't be able to shut off the engine while driving by just hitting that button. If this is true it could cause a serious accident. I will try it out tomorrow and see what happens (in the parking lot at the building)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So you say that if I accidently hit the red button while driving the engine will shut down, it shouldn't be that way this is a serious safety issue. You wouldn't have that problem with keys, you shouldn't be able to shut off the engine while driving by just hitting that button. If this is true it could cause a serious accident. I will try it out tomorrow and see what happens (in the parking lot at the building)

I have no idea which is why I asked the question.

I have keyless entry/start in my Nissan and there is an overide that will not allow you to turn the engine off while the vehicle is moving.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I have keyless entry/start in my Nissan and there is an overide that will not allow you to turn the engine off while the vehicle is moving.

You are driving a car with the keyless start/entry integrated into the ECU. Most of us are driving UPS vehicles with the keyless start/entry hacked into the ECU.

nocturnalbuck

I believe this happened to a fellow driver of mine also. He told me it happened going <25mph and he harmlessly pulled to the side of the road, so I didn't nor did he realize the seriousness of the incident.
Once a keyless truck's ingnition completely stopped working but it was at a stop. When I got back in after the delivery everything was dead. mechanic had to come out and bypass the keyless system, saying it was shorted out.
UPS needs to correct the problem immediately.

iruhnman630

!st time it happened it toke an hour of trouble shooting over cell with mechanic B4 finally giving code to lock box for ignition key.
I've had 3 keyless failures, and each time Ive had to waste time troubleshooting instead of just giving me the code so I can keep moving.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Many of us still drive manual transmission vehicles. If by chance you happen to kill the vehicle while accelerating into an intersection you are screwed. You used to be able to simply turn the key and fire it back up. Now you fumble around on the Fob buried underneath your seat belt for the click so you can push the button on the dash. I side with Sober on this. Someone will get hurt or killed with this flaw eventually. Other than that, it works pretty good for the doors.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ok everyone is asking if you hit the red button while moving in drive will it turn off? The answer is yes it will I tried it out today and it most certainly shut the vehicle off.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

There is no override on a package car. If you hit the "stop" button while driving, it will kill the engine.

soberups

Well, I spent the entire day going "old school" with keys. I tried using the fob for the door and the key for the ignition, but inevitably I wound up forgetting to use the key so I just took the fob off my belt entirely. Repetitious habits die hard.

Myself, my center manager, and our DM met with the mechanic supervisor this morning (who was not the one who actually worked on the car)and he said that the problem was a defective electrical relay. He said that all the failures he has seen to date have occured after the car had already been parked and shut off, and that to his knowledge I was the first and only driver to experience a failure while the engine was running and the car was in gear and moving.

One failure is one too many. After about 9 months of use I can say that I really do like the keyless system and that it makes my job easier...but until the company installs some sort of an override safety feature that prevents the car from shutting off while in gear and moving, I am not going to use it any longer. What happened yesterday was really scary, especially when I think about how much worse it could have been. I got lucky.

I also find it fascinating how inconsistent company policy is in regards to giving out the code to the lock box. In my building, all you have to do is call in to the shop and say your fob is acting up and they will give you the code without any hassle. And the mechanics dont ever bother to change the combination either. Apparently there are other locations where they act like you are asking for the launch codes for a nuclear missile.

Bottom line here is that there are 3 changes that need to be made. #1- they need to install a safety override, or a reduntant backup relay, or something that prevents a failed relay from causing the motor to shut off when the car is moving. #2 every car in the fleet needs to have an ignition key attached to the fob instead of locked away in a box, and #3 the box itself needs to be installed in a location that will not require the driver to risk his life by having to stand in the road while trying to open it. Of course....#3 will not even be necessary in the first place if they take care of #1 and #2.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me about 6 months ago.I was going 55 mph and one of the soleniods shorted out and damn near caught on fire, also killing the engine.Luckily I fought with the truck and won, getting out of the highway. Then had to call Adolf the center manager and explain what happened so I could get the secret code to unlock the box to get the real key to crank the pc . I dont see UPS fixing this problem on their own because of the perceived production improvement,but anyone who has this system can tell them that it doesnt save near as much time as they took from our time allowance for having it.The time reduction was the selling point for the system anyway.I dont think UPS will fix it on their own until someone gets killed. OSHA might.

rod

Retired 22 years
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me about 6 months ago.I was going 55 mph and one of the soleniods shorted out and damn near caught on fire, also killing the engine.Luckily I fought with the truck and won, getting out of the highway. Then had to call Adolf the center manager and explain what happened so I could get the secret code to unlock the box to get the real key to crank the pc . I dont see UPS fixing this problem on their own because of the perceived production improvement,but anyone who has this system can tell them that it doesnt save near as much time as they took from our time allowance for having it.The time reduction was the selling point for the system anyway.I dont think UPS will fix it on their own until someone gets killed. OSHA might.

Hitler finds out that Scott Walker won the Wisconsin recall election - YouTube

soberups

Sober, is that as far as you're taking this? Did you report it to OSHA, or DOT?

It happened Wednesday. I wrote it up that night and it was repaired and back on the road yesterday. There is no point in calling OSHA or DOT until I have more information about the failure and what is being done to prevent it from reocurring.