Sick of hearing from customers, "working late, huh?"

Holydriver

Nationally, we average like 46,47 hours a week. It's not excessive. An hour and a half more a day than average at $52+/hr.

Gotta look at it this way. $1,400 a month in just overtime, non peak. This opens up quality time with your family in the ability to do great things on the weekends and vacations. While "typical" families may be limited to boring nights and weekends due to lack of play money, our overtime buys quality time. Fun activities are expensive and most people go without the experiences.

Quality over quantity is arguably what your wife and children want and will remember. Think about it, what exactly would you do everyday from 5:15 to bedtime? You would quickly find that the time would mostly be filled with house/yard chores, projects, and watching TV/browsing the internet. "Family time" only goes so far in reality. You really think 5 hours a night is direct family time? Remember that after daylight savings, it's dark out when your 5pm job is done. Not like you can do stuff outside anyway.

The reality is, is that we earn $50-$100 a day in our final 1-2 hours in place of the average person using that time in front of the tube. Most people aren't having a grand ol' time post work everyday.
This is a good point. It's just frustrating at times though. You get it, you've been there. You've just been able to see beyond it.

Holydriver

For crying out loud. When many of us started, there were no guaranteed eight-hour days.

And as far as most other Americans, there are many salaried people who work much more than 40 hours/week for way less money than a full scale driver earns.

And, if you want to get into the professions, ask your doctor or lawyer how many hours they put in.

Freaking entitled D*'s.
My man, I was making 103k without a degree 3/years ago. I chose my hours I worked with one stipulation...you must be there during core hours... Between 10-2. Didn't wanna work one day? That's cool, just work four 10s and take a day off...save that vacation day. Oh, and managers cared about you and your needs. Unfortunately that well ran dry. My point is this though, there at better jobs out there than UPS. This is a stepping stone job. As far as entitled, I've probably killed more people than you've had the privilege of sticking your little winky in to. I've earned my keep for 14 years running and won't stop anytime soon. I make good.mistakes and I'm not over yet.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
My man, I was making 103k without a degree 3/years ago. I chose my hours I worked with one stipulation...you must be there during core hours... Between 10-2. Didn't wanna work one day? That's cool, just work four 10s and take a day off...save that vacation day. Oh, and managers cared about you and your needs. Unfortunately that well ran dry. My point is this though, there at better jobs out there than UPS. This is a stepping stone job. As far as entitled, I've probably killed more people than you've had the privilege of sticking your little winky in to. I've earned my keep for 14 years running and won't stop anytime soon. I make good.mistakes and I'm not over yet.

Whoa!!

Who cares?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
image.jpeg

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
As soon as peak is over the policy is "we need authorization" for any OT. Right now its pretty much useless since everyone comes in at 9:30 or later and preload turns up at midnight.

JL 0513

First person ever to call $90K job "a stepping stone job".:confused: