Sick of hearing from customers, "working late, huh?"

JL 0513

Nah, I'm not a :censored2:. I'll finish a degree first. Then I'll get easy work and live. Thing is, to some money is everything. To others, money is something. Id gladly trade a 50k job and have 15 more free hours a week plus almost unlimited energy than hoelw I currently live. I'm a friend-ing single parent and UPS seems to think their numbers are more important than my life. Wrong

What is this easy work you speak of?

Holydriver

What is this easy work you speak of?
Get into school man. Do that :censored2: online and eventually get a degree and work. Where I live the options are everywhere so maybe I have it easier. Office jobs are mind numbing boredom and in my opinion not for a young able bodied man. But once you hit 30+ your body needs to have an easier option to earn a living

trickpony1

So glad you let us know. We were all on the edge of our seats, wondering what you were doing after peak

Is he gonna sit outside the fence hoping to catch a glimpse of his package car?

Is he gonna don a wig and stalk the guy covering his route in his Altima?

The suspense continues.......

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Don't hate on us lazy people!
f44.jpg
Pretty smart for a lazy guy

JL 0513

Get into school man. Do that :censored2: online and eventually get a degree and work. Where I live the options are everywhere so maybe I have it easier. Office jobs are mind numbing boredom and in my opinion not for a young able bodied man. But once you hit 30+ your body needs to have an easier option to earn a living

I have a bachelor's degree in Industrial Design. I chose driving. No regrets. This is actually more money and more secure.

If by easy you mean physically easy fine. But don't call it easy work. Less physical is just more mental work and stress. If that's what you want fine, but that isn't easy work.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Two years ago, I heard the working late thing from the customers a lot. Last year it was 'Are you replacing (name of the driver I was working with)?'.
:-)

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
It is taking driving jobs and letting us keep a few 8.00 per hour jobs... Really, come on.
It affects the delivery end of things. That's it. The volume still needs to be picked up by a teamster. It is unloaded by a teamster, sorted by a teamster, bagged by a teamster, unloaded again, by a teamster, PAL'd by a teamster, and loaded by a teamster. We offer a solution that allows shippers to have one pickup for all of their needs.

People complain we don't service the customer anymore. But that's what we're doing with SurePost. Offering them another option.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Nah, I'm not a :censored2:. I'll finish a degree first. Then I'll get easy work and live. Thing is, to some money is everything. To others, money is something. Id gladly trade a 50k job and have 15 more free hours a week plus almost unlimited energy than hoelw I currently live. I'm a friend-ing single parent and UPS seems to think their numbers are more important than my life. Wrong
Did you not know we work long hours when you signed up for the job?

Here's the issue. I feel for your situation. But if I let you off at 5 everyday I get 20 other guys wondering why you get special treatment. They don't care the reason, they want to get off at 5 to be with their families too.

Holydriver

Did you not know we work long hours when you signed up for the job?

Here's the issue. I feel for your situation. But if I let you off at 5 everyday I get 20 other guys wondering why you get special treatment. They don't care the reason, they want to get off at 5 to be with their families too.

as a matter of fact i didnt know the hours. no one tells you that UPS only offers 22 days a year of a guarantee relief of overtime. most other americans might work 22 days a year of overtime...

Holydriver

I have a bachelor's degree in Industrial Design. I chose driving. No regrets. This is actually more money and more secure.

If by easy you mean physically easy fine. But don't call it easy work. Less physical is just more mental work and stress. If that's what you want fine, but that isn't easy work.
lol. i dont relly get stressed so i dont really care. i just get angry at not having a life outside of work. you know what its like, you have to spend saturday or sunday doing things like grocery shopping and stuff. thats BS. were the big members of the board working this past friday? will the head shed of UPS be working until 9pm christmas eve? nope, but they certainly dont mind making you do it because they wont hire more people

JL 0513

lol. i dont relly get stressed so i dont really care. i just get angry at not having a life outside of work. you know what its like, you have to spend saturday or sunday doing things like grocery shopping and stuff. thats BS. were the big members of the board working this past friday? will the head shed of UPS be working until 9pm christmas eve? nope, but they certainly dont mind making you do it because they wont hire more people

Nationally, we average like 46,47 hours a week. It's not excessive. An hour and a half more a day than average at $52+/hr.

Gotta look at it this way. $1,400 a month in just overtime, non peak. This opens up quality time with your family in the ability to do great things on the weekends and vacations. While "typical" families may be limited to boring nights and weekends due to lack of play money, our overtime buys quality time. Fun activities are expensive and most people go without the experiences.

Quality over quantity is arguably what your wife and children want and will remember. Think about it, what exactly would you do everyday from 5:15 to bedtime? You would quickly find that the time would mostly be filled with house/yard chores, projects, and watching TV/browsing the internet. "Family time" only goes so far in reality. You really think 5 hours a night is direct family time? Remember that after daylight savings, it's dark out when your 5pm job is done. Not like you can do stuff outside anyway.

The reality is, is that we earn $50-$100 a day in our final 1-2 hours in place of the average person using that time in front of the tube. Most people aren't having a grand ol' time post work everyday.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
as a matter of fact i didnt know the hours. no one tells you that UPS only offers 22 days a year of a guarantee relief of overtime. most other americans might work 22 days a year of overtime...
Actually 4 weeks vacation plus two option days plus 3 8 hour requests a month that's 57 days a year for an 8 year employee. Not too terrible really. Over 1 day a week.

MAKAVELI

Sounds like you don't care about the money you make to compensate the long hours. You should do some research and find out what jobs pay $34+ an hour with great benefits and a 9-5 schedule.;)

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

For crying out loud. When many of us started, there were no guaranteed eight-hour days.

And as far as most other Americans, there are many salaried people who work much more than 40 hours/week for way less money than a full scale driver earns.

And, if you want to get into the professions, ask your doctor or lawyer how many hours they put in.

Freaking entitled D*'s.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
For crying out loud. When many of us started, there were no guaranteed eight-hour days.

And as far as most other Americans, there are many salaried people who work much more than 40 hours/week for way less money than a full scale driver earns.

And, if you want to get into the professions, ask your doctor or lawyer how many hours they put in.

Freaking entitled D*'s.
Damn it @Holydriver deserves to work 5 hours a day and make 6 figures. I don't care what anyone says. ;)