Smoking in tractors

UPS4Life

Do any hubs have no smoking tractors? If so is it in the contract anywhere or were you able to push for it some how? Any info is appreciated. Not against smokers if they can be respectful but some of our drivers have no courtesy. (Windows up recirculator on waiting on a trailer)

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I don't know of any rules prohibiting smokers from smoking in tractors. They guy who I shared with didn't smoke, but there was a particular driver who started right before the guy who shared with me who smoked like a chimney. If his tractor wasn't there, he would drive mine. He was real good about not leaving butts or ashes, but I could tell the moment I stepped on the fuel tank. Look at the DVIR. Yep. I just had to get over it. There is one thing I consider almost as bad as a smoker, and that's a sunflower seed chomper. Those hulls fly everywhere and they are hard to sweep out. :furious:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I could see a no smoking in tractors rule as its enclosed or a no smoking in package cars unless a door is open. When I was a cover guy there were 2 trucks that were a bitch to drive because it was clear the guy didn't open a door/window. All surfaces were coated with sticky tar and windows all foggy, smelled like an ash tray. There were also a handful of trucks where you could tell the driver smoked but the smell wasn't overpowering and the surfaces weren't all sticky so they didn't keep it all closed up.

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
PCs that smell like smoke never bothered me as much as the ones that smell like 2 day old lunch or urine. Or deer repellant...that stuff reeks!

MoarTape

Quite a few guys smoke in their tractors here. I also hear that there is no smoking whatsoever if you have one of the new LNG tractors.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Not that I'm aware of. There was a letter that circulated about two years ago to management, they thought it said no smoking in tractors, yard mules etc. They did the rounds and were telling smokers they couldn't smoke in tractors. This angered a lot of people, come to find out it just stated not around fuel pumps and everyone could still smoke in the trucks. I'm not a smoker but the smell just doesn't bother me. I have a feeling if this did go in to effect everyone would be stopping every 20 miles for a smoke break. I do agree though at least role the window down.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've been told that it's against company rules to smoke in tractors but I've never seen it written down. In Maryland I believe it's against the law, they have one of the most restrictive workplace smoking laws in the country. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see it banned and strictly enforced.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In NJ, there is no smoking allowed indoors or in the workplace. Since my package car is a workplace, no smoking is allowed inside.

Smoke all you want outside. Who wants to smell that?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Same here in Ohio. No smoking in any UPS vehicle. As a former smoker it drives me crazy when someone smokes in my package car. It stinks but it also triggers the desire to fire one up.

Notretiredyet

Non smoker here, my problem with those who smoke when I'm on vacation is with those who use my dash and engine cover as an ashtray. They leave the cig burning on the dash or cover while they deliver leaving the burns and tar stains all over the car.

UPS4Life

Quite a few guys smoke in their tractors here. I also hear that there is no smoking whatsoever if you have one of the new LNG tractors.
We just got a bunch of them and a bunch of guys were hoping that's where ups would take the roll and say no smoking in the lng's but I haven't seen anything saying you can't. Which is kind of funny because I heard a couple new ones just went back for leaking fuel lol

Sent using BrownCafe App

raceanoncr

Had local policy here for many yrs that banned smoking in ANY UPS vehicle. Did that stop em? You decide.

Remember ONE heavy smoker was FURIOUS. Said there ain't no way in hell he was gonna obey. I just calmly said, "If you share with ME you are". (feeders) Well, he insisted and...got a junky tractor assigned to him.

Years later, he had heart, lung problems, developed severe empha...you know, I can't spell it...and was forced to quit or die. NOW, NOBODY BETTER SMOKE IN HIS TRACTOR! He threw a regular HISSY fit.

Ironic. He retired after me and, although younger, is now on oxygen and can't hardly function.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Like anything else....there's a difference between a considerate and inconsiderate smoker. Don't leave ashes and cigarette butts laying around...and some febreeze goes a long way.I don't smoke in my house..only in the garage when it rains and I no longer smoke in my car. We all know it stinks.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was one of "those people" who smoked for the first 20 or so years at UPS. After I gave it up I realized how much everything stinks around a smoker so I kept my package car spotless. It never really bothered me if someone else had smoked in it while I was on vacation. I just spent an extra half hour or so cleaning it up on company time when I got back.

trickpony1

Has anyone heard of "second hand smoke"?
Has anyone heard of "third hand smoke"?
Has anyone heard of OSHA regulations regarding "smoking in shared work area"?

Amazing.

Overpaid Union Thug

Smoking is a nasty and unhealthy habit and shouldn't be done in any UPS equipment for that reason. Some smokers are a little better than others about cleaning their mess but the smell is always apparent. And don't even get me started on dip.

Sent using BrownCafe App