Snow above/below the Mason Dixie line.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Lots of talk about people in the South not handling snow and ice too well. I live in WI and we should be used to bad weather. Every time we have a little snow or ice the county I live in is littered with the carnage of vehicles in the ditch, accidents, school closings, etc. You would think us Northerners would be used to it by now. Bottom line. It sucks.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
That's because people drive like idiots. Big hurry for no reason at all. People have no mental patience. Funny thing is some of our numbnutt coworkers drive too fast in it too. Once again using no commonsense and no patience. Id rather be safe late than hurt early ya feel me lol.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That's because people drive like idiots. Big hurry for no reason at all. People have no mental patience. Funny thing is some of our numbnutt coworkers drive too fast in it too. Once again using no commonsense and no patience. Id rather be safe late than hurt early ya feel me lol.
That really is the essence of the problem normally.
Driving too fast and not leaving enough space from the vehicle in front of you.
I'm probably 8 - 10 seconds from that vehicle in front of me when it is snowing or icing.

I drove quite a bit up in New Jersey over the last 20 years and in double digit inches of snow several times.
People in NJ follow too close in ice and snow.
I never had a problem up there.
I don't even get on the road down here.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
3 best friends in snow and ice, 1. lower your speed a lot. 2. Really adjust the pressure you put on your breaks. 3. Give yourself a ton of following distance.

gingerkat

Sorry, going to disagree with you here. I grew up in Wisconsin getting close to the upper border of Michigan, where there are nothing but lakes, fields and snow drifts. Most people drive slow, (minus those damn FIBS) have snow tires, townships salt the roads, but accidents still happen to seasoned drivers. Not to mention deer and other critters crossing in front of you. That is just life when you live in certain areas. I lived in such a rural area that if you really needed a snow plow on your truck, because the town was so busy trying to get the main highways before getting to the paid driveways.

No offense jump, but sometime your mental toughness does not beat mother nature.:yapyapyapf:

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I drove quite a bit up in New Jersey over the last 20 years and in double digit inches of snow several times.
People in NJ follow too close in ice and snow.

We have no choice. There's too many vehicles in this area.

Following distance is just an idea in these parts. If I were to adjust my following distance to a safe amount of space it would take me 2 hours just to move 1 mile. You just have to be paying very close attention at all times.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
A chunk of NJ belongs below the Mason-Dixon line. Cape May is almost as far south as Washington DC.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I love the Jersey Turnpike. .....article in the paper this morning reported Jersey had the lowest traffic fatalities last year in its history. PA may, too, although the results haven't been released yet.

Sorry, going to disagree with you here. I grew up in Wisconsin getting close to the upper border of Michigan, where there are nothing but lakes, fields and snow drifts. Most people drive slow, (minus those damn FIBS) have snow tires, townships salt the roads, but accidents still happen to seasoned drivers. Not to mention deer and other critters crossing in front of you. That is just life when you live in certain areas. I lived in such a rural area that if you really needed a snow plow on your truck, because the town was so busy trying to get the main highways before getting to the paid driveways.

No offense jump, but sometime your mental toughness does not beat mother nature.:yapyapyapf:

I got your FIB. The bad drivers are the cheeseheads (WI) and the blue plate specials (IN). Nothing backs up our highways faster.

Rico

I think its more that we have become spoiled by the technology in the cars we drive now. ABS, traction control, all wheel drive combine to give drivers a feeling of invincibility on the roads. All wheel drive and traction control will get you going, and make a big difference going up snow covered hills, starting at stop lights, and accelerating in a straight line. But the coefficient of traction is a fickle bitch, and when you are to fast for that snowy corner, you are going straight into that ditch.

bluehdmc

I think its more that we have become spoiled by the technology in the cars we drive now. ABS, traction control, all wheel drive combine to give drivers a feeling of invincibility on the roads. All wheel drive and traction control will get you going, and make a big difference going up snow covered hills, starting at stop lights, and accelerating in a straight line. But the coefficient of traction is a fickle bitch, and when you are to fast for that snowy corner, you are going straight into that ditch.

What????
I thought my X-drive, symmetrical all-wheel drive, Quattro, 4matic, etc., etc., was supposed to save me from all that, and transfer traction from "the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip".

gingerkat

It's far too hot for Jan/Feb in the west. Yesterday was a shorts and t-shirt day. Thought you guys would enjoy this, or not…

"Snow day in Southern California"

J

jibbs

I love the Jersey Turnpike. .....article in the paper this morning reported Jersey had the lowest traffic fatalities last year in its history. PA may, too, although the results haven't been released yet.

The turnpike's really convenient, but smells like absolute :censored2: and the fast food along the way reminds me of a visual representation of everything I smell on that road.

Thankfully I'm never on it very long.

gingerkat

Hats and gloves in Southern California? Riiiight.
Absolutely! In November it got really chilly at night and I "tried" to use gloves because my fingers were so cold that I couldn't punch stuff into the diad. But I found that gloves were even more cumbersome, so gave up. I know that 40 is warm for most people, but when it's 40 in the AM, 80 in the afternoon and 40 at night again, those are some big temperature changes.

Personally, I'll take a nice 70 all year long! I still have cheesehead blood in me, so hot weather doesn't work well at all.