So are misloads really that big of a problem??????

preloader

Bleeding Brown from ears
Lemme start by stating that if you remove the top 5 senior preloaders at my building the average is about 6-8 months seniority and like many of your buildings im sure they get NO training really. The center manager assumes that the lil sticker should say it clear enough to the loader where it goes, period.

Because of these factors, we have on average 50 misloads per day, scattered over 54 routes. Our preload sup was running the misloads til 8pm most nights until she seems to have snapped and quit (mgmt wont tell us about her status) Basically, she was working from 3am-8pm everyday, and like was stated earlier, the union wouldnt fight it as long as no one lost their jobs.

Honestly, theres no incentive to the loaders to do better. If they have misloads, it will be fixed and maybe after a few hundred a warning letter will be issued. If they stand around and stack till the drivers get ready to leave, the sups and drivers will load the cars. But if they do decide to give 100% and bust their butts to get tthe stuff in, and into the right cars....not even an "atta boy" from a sup. Our District manager decided about a month ago that should our building have one day without misloads, we would all get UPS polo shirts (oh boy!) ...i think he coulda offered us BMWs, woulda gotten the same results

BigBrownSanta

This is interesting. My understanding is that management's job is to supervise the employee and not the performance of the employee. Strange language, isn't it?

Sounds good in theory, but we all know the reality.

Personally, I don't know how they could fire a preloader for misloads anyway. There are probably 20 people a day going in and out of their trucks while they're loading.

LPGuy

I, too, wonder if Mike Eskew reads posts such as this. As a management employee, I have seen the demise of our organization, in real time. Regarding the misloads, it is my belief that this is a combination of technology, with faulty logic, and part-time supervisors who have only been with the organization for 3 months. Just in case none of you have noticed, this company, as well as the teamsters, have not done anything to increase the starting wage of employees for quite some time. We had a term in a computer programming class that I took in high school "garbage in, garbage out." The point that UPS seems to be missing is that quality people do not typically come at a rate of $8.50 per hour. These people become our future drivers and management employees. Unfortunately, our company is being flushed down the toilet by persons who do not understand this simple concept. As an organization, our corporate powers that be, do not understand that which happens in the buildings on a daily basis. This is partly because of the layers of beaurocrats that occupy positions between the package centers and corporate. People in these positions are too worried about their political skins to report the truth. It seems to me that if corporate really wanted to get a true picture of what happens, someone like Mike Eskew, or the pompous Jim Winestock would pay a visit to the facilities without giving two weeks notice.

Best Regards,

LPGuy

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
We don't have air drivers shuttling misloads here, the sups do it. The union won't prevent the sups as long as the preloaders don't get fired for the misloads.

Sometimes the sup will show up with their personal vehicle packed with misloads.

Where I'm from, the last car to leave the belt in the AM gets stuck shuttling up all the LIB and other misc. odds and ends to the "port-o-hub"(aka tp60) where they sit till the end of day with all the misloads that get scooped into them by the preload when they clean up the belt.
Meanwhile, several drivers may or may not stop by the "port-o-hub" during the day to either pick up misloads(if they feel like it) or drop off misloads they don't feel like delivering. In short, its a place where drivers come to "smoke" packages(is that term universal or just a So. Cal. term?)

By the end of the day, the Satellite drivers have buried the misloads with pick-up pieces, the door is shut and the port-o-hub is brought back to the building to start the process all over again, I have seen some packages in there for over a week, it's pathetic, and nobody cares. Most of us try to take care of what we can, but after a while and over a year of 55+ hour weeks we had to let it go and just pass it along for someone else to deal with--which btw never happens and eventually becomes such a big snowball that an extra car will be put on road for a day just to clean it up---isn't there an upcoming pcm on the domino effect???--ironically this will most likely have no effect and my situation will remain comically tragic.
On a good to average day there will be 0-10 misloads that will be no scan service failures. On a bad day, I would guess we have had as many as 50-80 smoked packages we brought back in the trailer.

Cezanne

As an organization, our corporate powers that be, do not understand that which happens in the buildings on a daily basis. This is partly because of the layers of beaurocrats that occupy positions between the package centers and corporate. People in these positions are too worried about their political skins to report the truth. It seems to me that if corporate really wanted to get a true picture of what happens, someone like Mike Eskew, or the pompous Jim Winestock would pay a visit to the facilities without giving two weeks notice.

:cool: That is why they process us through the annual ERI survey. Face to face meetings are a no-no, the wrong questions might be asked, just too much accountablity and lack of control. Alot of corporate people are very content living in "Camelot" without dirtying themselves with the commons.