Socks and Trucks!

10 point

10 point, the point here is. Socks are not an expense that would bankrupt our Company. It is just another example of the smallest things that our Union committee cannot achieve. As far as Trucks without the appropriate safety equipment. You would think that this issue would be important for both sides of the table. It would be important to the company to protect themselves from liability. The Union should be protecting their members from harm and are sworn to protect and serve their members. Therefore, this issue should of been easy to negotiate as well. Again, our committee can't even negotiate for the simplest of things. This is the point of my Trucks and Socks thread.
I understand. In my opinion the socks issue isn't an apples for apples comparison to negotiated issues we're still dealing within this current CBA. How about dealing with that?

"Proximity stops". I'll take that being defined and enforced vs free socks. That'll add/or retain routes lost to the Orion debacle.
Is that a good trade? It's already negotiated but we've gotten absolutely no help from the top dogs in helping to enforce such important language.

The seatbelt issue is dead due to OEM life safety liability... as far as I can tell from my armchair. The company is not liable to change them unless the feds or states change the law as wide load said.

I'm not saying stop asking for valid issues to be rectified, don't get me wrong, I'm with you.
I just think there's other issues that weigh heavier than those. One isn't a priority to the co to change and the other one won't change as far as I can tell....ever...because it makes them more liable even if it's a no brainier.

Maybe we can get socks with air bags attached. ;)?

Irishman Collins

I understand. In my opinion the socks issue isn't an apples for apples comparison to negotiated issues we're still dealing within this current CBA. How about dealing with that?

"Proximity stops". I'll take that being defined and enforced vs free socks. That'll add/or retain routes lost to the Orion debacle.
Is that a good trade? It's already negotiated but we've gotten absolutely no help from the top dogs in helping to enforce such important language.

The seatbelt issue is dead due to OEM life safety liability... as far as I can tell from my armchair. The company is not liable to change them unless the feds or states change the law as wide load said.

I'm not saying stop asking for valid issues to be rectified, don't get me wrong, I'm with you.
I just think there's other issues that weigh heavier than those. One isn't a priority to the co to change and the other one won't change as far as I can tell....ever...because it makes them more liable even if it's a no brainier.

Maybe we can get socks with air bags attached. ;)?
Socks with air bags, love it! Listen, the title of the thread was used to get attention. I realize that there are larger issues but if these two issues can't or won't be negotiated. Where is the hope that any important issues ever get addressed socks or airbags? Our leadership must change before it is too late.

10 point

Socks with air bags, love it! Listen, the title of the thread was used to get attention. I realize that there are larger issues but if these two issues can't or won't be negotiated. Where is the hope that any important issues ever get addressed socks or airbags? Our leadership must change before it is too late.
It probably won't change because people don't vote.
Fact. Fact.

Inthegame

And yet somehow those incompetent boobs negotiated high back seats for Feeders, a wee bit more important than getting free socks. But of course you didn't pay attention to that page...

image.jpeg
And yet somehow those incompetent boobs negotiated high back seats for Feeders, a wee bit more important than getting free socks. But of course you didn't pay attention to that page...

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
That's not what this guy is saying.
The keyless modification to the OEM system, may have been a mitigating factor in the accident.

http://www.federalwaymirror.com/news/152344535.html#
Real cause of the whole bad scenario was a poor decision to ignore blaring vehicle alarms and choosing to press on instead of returning to the center. If the article is accurate, 174's claims that the brakes don't work when the PC is not running is baloney. In this case the car was experiencing a malfunction and the center team chose to ignore it.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It's still a complete cop out to claim they can't retrofit these vehicles with superior safety equipment on the guise of not wanting to replace the OEM garbage that came standard in them decades before.

Upgrade them, or :censored2:can them.

10 point

It's still a complete cop out to claim they can't retrofit these vehicles with superior safety equipment on the guise of not wanting to replace the OEM garbage that came standard in them decades before.

Upgrade them, or :censored2:can them.
True.
But the people that make those decisions are not the ones having to drive the junk every day.

10 point

....and the ones claiming "safety first"?
How was he ejected? Did he not have his seatbelt on? Was it just a lap belt covering the jump seat? Those are the questions people should be asking here and tie that into the bodily damage he got if he was wearing just a lap belt ...
which are almost worthless in a crash because the drivers can brace themselves with the steering wheel but the jumper has almost nothing to reach and substantially brace themselves in a crash. A shoulder belt would make a huge difference in that application.

But of course, OEM means cya.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Far as I know he was not ejected from the car judging from the gruesome photos I saw. He DID still have the earplugs in his ears that were brought out to drown out the hydroboost alarm that was going off.

10 point

Far as I know he was not ejected from the car judging from the gruesome photos I saw. He DID still have the earplugs in his ears that were brought out to drown out the hydroboost alarm that was going off.
The fourth paragraph of the article linked in Bubblehead's Post above said he was ejected from the vehicle.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Socks are not an expense that would bankrupt our Company. It is just another example of the smallest things that our Union committee cannot achieve.

Who was the IBT President.... at the time, that language was negotiated ?

How can they do that?
I was understanding that altering a vehicle from OEM was not allowed?

That's always been the company "claim" when refusing to install more handrails.

How was he ejected?

He wasn't ejected.

More like pinned (and unconscious) in the jumper seat.

-Bug-

Irishman Collins

Who was the IBT President.... at the time, that language was negotiated ?

That's always been the company "claim" when refusing to install more handrails.

He wasn't ejected.

More like pinned (and unconscious) in the jumper seat.

-Bug-
Big Union guy, I am sue you are aware that every subject is open for negotiations when our contact expires? It just so happens that Kenny and Jimmy have been responsible for the last few previous ones. Therefore, they are solely responsible for the recent concessions and give backs, period!