Sorter Pay Question

SoCalUPSer91

Hello everyone, I have been with the company for 5 years now and have been lurking on these forums for quite some time now but decided to make an account because I have a question.

I work in a smaller hub in Southern California that has 5 belts that I sort to that includes small sort. I have brought up the sorter pay to my full time supervisor many times and he repeatedly tells me that I do not get the extra dollar because I only sort to five belts and that the minimum belt requirement is 6 belts. I looked in the contract for the requirement of belts but found nothing. Does anyone have any information that could help me with this? Thank you all in advance!

upschuck

Never heard anything about that in the contract, sounds like you may need to file to get your dollar, and back pay. It says sorter, not sorter of 6+ belts. Even if your supplement says different, Master trumps it because supplement has inferior language.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
No sort raise because only 5 belts?? LMAO that's a good one! When I became a sorter that's exactly how many belts I sorted to, 5. Secondary sort also had 5. We all got dollar raises for that position. Matter of fact, I got my dollar raise from doing pickoff. Does your supervisor say that you need to pickoff to more than 4 different trailers to get the dollar raise there too lol? You need to file a grievance and get your back pay plus raise immediately.

browner89

As long as sorting is a skilled position in your building still than you should get your raise and back pay for all the time you've been sorting. I've never heard about a requirement in any contract outside of sorting being "skilled" still. Some buildings have deskilled it due to technology but that obviously isn't the case in your building due to the lie he told you.

Get the money you earned.

Edit: How long have you been sorting now? You could be looking at a pretty penny of backpay.

browner89

Our building did that, but a grievance remedied that, and everyone got their dollar back.

Well yeah, as far as I know once you make that skilled pay they can never take the bonus away but anyone who wasn't skilled before the change won't earn it that way. Could be wrong on that as far as nation wide, but in my center once you're skilled no matter what job you're doing you'll get the pay, though they haven't de-skilled any positions here and probably never will, but I can't imagine they'd succeed in taking the pay away.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Tell them to:
show-me-the-money-o.gif

upschuck

Well yeah, as far as I know once you make that skilled pay they can never take the bonus away but anyone who wasn't skilled before the change won't earn it that way. Could be wrong on that as far as nation wide, but in my center once you're skilled no matter what job you're doing you'll get the pay, though they haven't de-skilled any positions here and probably never will, but I can't imagine they'd succeed in taking the pay away.
Contract says sorter, if you sort, you get the dollar, newbie or otherwise..

SoCalUPSer91

Thanks for all your replies everyone, I appreciate the responses. I am definitely going to file a greviance. I have been sorting for about 3 years now. We only have one pick off in our small building and I don't think he even knows that he should be getting an extra dollar either. On a side note, I am also the hazmat responder and work on the ODC dock on air but report to sort aisle afterwards.

Furthermore, when I clock in, my work code still has me labeled as a "unskilled loader." I haven't loaded in over 4 years.

SCV good to go sir.

Please update us with whatever crap your supervisor responds with. If the aforementioned comment is any indication, his response should be golden (at least for our amusement).

This happened in my building. Several of us brought it to our supervisor's attention that we were not getting the extra dollar, as per the contract, and they cut us all 90-day back pay checks. Some of the guys were pretty pissed, because they should have been getting the extra dollar for years. It was not that big a deal to me, because I had been there about 9 months at the time.