Southern storm

djkre8r

From what I heard we had 1 preloader and 4 sups working (we only have 12 preloaders anyway). Got a group msg asking if we would come in to drive and I think EVERY driver responded with "NO". Got another message stating our district suspended operation for today. Now I wish I had trek'd into work and got 3 1/2. Anyway... preload is suppose to start at 10am and drivers at 12 noon tomorrow (2/13). On 2/11 we did have every route in that we could. Still, 5 routes sat with no drivers. We all were told to be in (and try to be home) before dark.
Here is what I am concerned with - if our governor has called for a state of emergency, local officials say STAY OFF THE ROADS, and NOTHING is open - how can they risk us having an accident? Can I have them sign something that states if I have an accident because they made me drive that they can't hold it against me? I bet my sup would give me the ol' RTS. LOL
Also, today I wasn't concerned with the "drive" but more concerned with the "walk" from the truck to someone's door and back. Here in the South we don't clear our walk paths or even salt the walk path. We aren't expecting anyone to show up to the house. This winter I have acquired a much higher level of respect for the drivers up North. I don't see how you can do it like you do EVERY DAY!

retired2000

Up here in the north we have more plows and lot of experience driving in the white stuff. We have had a state of emergency and they sent us out. Did not get much done on those days. Just drove to a diner and sat all day

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
we had no operations in our Division today and we are scheduled to start at 1100 tomorrow,but i doubt many people will be dumb enough to venture out.the roads are still crap,and power is out everywhere

Packmule

From what I heard we had 1 preloader and 4 sups working (we only have 12 preloaders anyway). Got a group msg asking if we would come in to drive and I think EVERY driver responded with "NO". Got another message stating our district suspended operation for today. Now I wish I had trek'd into work and got 3 1/2. Anyway... preload is suppose to start at 10am and drivers at 12 noon tomorrow (2/13). On 2/11 we did have every route in that we could. Still, 5 routes sat with no drivers. We all were told to be in (and try to be home) before dark.
Here is what I am concerned with - if our governor has called for a state of emergency, local officials say STAY OFF THE ROADS, and NOTHING is open - how can they risk us having an accident? Can I have them sign something that states if I have an accident because they made me drive that they can't hold it against me? I bet my sup would give me the ol' RTS. LOL
Also, today I wasn't concerned with the "drive" but more concerned with the "walk" from the truck to someone's door and back. Here in the South we don't clear our walk paths or even salt the walk path. We aren't expecting anyone to show up to the house. This winter I have acquired a much higher level of respect for the drivers up North. I don't see how you can do it like you do EVERY DAY!
Precisely why I put in a proposal way back during contract proposal meetings suggesting no driver can be charged with an accident if local no travel advisories are in effect. Another idea that went out the window for a 50 cent raise.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Started a little late with no air. Nasty day of constant freezing rain. Delivered everything with only 14 send agains. Tree limbs everywhere, power out in a lot of places. May no pick ups.

Packmule

State of emergency and travel ban are not one in the same.
Same general idea. It's enough to worry if you're going to get home in good health without worrying if you still have a job over an accident when the authorities said stay off the roads to begin with. While I hope everyone out east stays safe, I hope their overwhelming union membership gets a wake up call to what us more rural westerners deal with all winter long.