Speaking of Tires

MassWineGuy

All the talk of how bad Sprinters are in snow (vans also), reminded me that I need new tires. Suggestions, please.

I live in Massachusetts where it either snows like the North Pole or hardly snows. I assume the former.

I can't afford one set of three season and one dedicated set of snows. Nokian makes an "all weather" tire said to be great in snow and good in dry or rainy conditions. Not great tread wear though. General Altimax RT43 also sounds appealing.

What have people here used and liked?

Thanks.

Purplepackage

All the talk of how bad Sprinters are in snow (vans also), reminded me that I need new tires. Suggestions, please.

I live in Massachusetts where it either snows like the North Pole or hardly snows. I assume the former.

I can't afford one set of three season and one dedicated set of snows. Nokian makes an "all weather" tire said to be great in snow and good in dry or rainy conditions. Not great tread wear though. General Altimax RT43 also sounds appealing.

What have people here used and liked?

Thanks.

How much snow are you typically driving through really? I'm sure a set of all seasons will do just fine unless you live way out on the backroads somewhere.

HedleyLamarr

Whatever you do, stay away from the cheap Walmart tires. I used to have a job that involved tons of driving in my personal vehicle. The Walmart tires would only last about 6 months. They are cheap, but if you pay 30% more, you can get a tire that will last twice as long. Firestones would last me a year at that job.

rod

Retired 22 years
The best set of all season traction tires I ever had was given to me by a Highway Patrol friend. He had just got new ones for his squad car. The ones he gave me probably had 3/4 tread life left. The were Michelins but they could have been a "special law enforcement" tire. For a couple of years I swear I could go anywhere with the things--mud--deep snow-- you name it.