Speaking of Tires

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Well, maybe I'll just jump in and chance it with the Coopers. I want to get them locally because a) it keeps the local economy going, and b) he will stand behind what he sells in case of a problem. Also, free rotations and flat fixes. If the $ difference is astronomical I definitely take the Tire Rack, etc. route.

About studded tires, you can't really use them when snow clears, can you?

I also use a local tire co. I would reccomend a winter tire for your car. It's like night & day compared an all season, even though some a/s tired are very good in the snow. Cooper has a winter tire I put on a Corolla last year. Around $300.

dezguy

The wife got winter tires for her previous car. I never noticed a huge amount of difference between those and the all weathers we used the rest of the year. Personally, I don't think difference in the drive is worth the cost, for winter tires.

MassWineGuy

The mechanic who usually works on my VW diesel cars has a parts car with very healthy looking Tiger Paws. I'm going to buy them and the wheels for $250. If their performance is poor I'll put snows on the current wheels and use the Paws for three seasons.

MassWineGuy

Original equipment on many GM vehicles. Nice tire and not super expensive. For $250 with wheels, you can't go wrong.

Yeah, that's sort of what I'm thinking. Reviews I've read run the entire range from best to worst. If I hate 'em I can put some real snows on the wheels, sell the Paws on Craigslist and buy new all seasons in the spring.

SmithBarney

I can't afford one set of three season and one dedicated set of snows. Nokian makes an "all weather" tire said to be great in snow and good in dry or rainy conditions. Not great tread wear though. General Altimax RT43 also sounds appealing.

What have people here used and liked?

Thanks.

You'd be surprised what you can afford, a set of cheap steel wheels(or even stock alloys) can be found very cheap, check craigslist, or if your car is common, see if there is a club(ie Dodge Neon Club) lots of times these guys will sell their old wheels for cheap when they get new flashy ones. If you are in Mass you are in a large market area, probably lots of good deals.

I had a set of Pirelli S2s I think they were called. Turned my RWD Mini van into a snow eating machine.
3 winters with these on steel wheels, was well worth the $100 I spent on steel wheels.

Make sure you size correctly, you can get a slightly narrower tire which will help in the grip dept.(depends on vehicle) my Stock tires were 235 wide, my snows were 195.