Speaking of Tires

MassWineGuy

For the record, I have have a 2001 VW Jetta wagon TDI. Love that it's diesel. Mine was not involved in the VE cheating scandal.

Any more tire recommendations?

bacha29

Opinions regarding tire performance and wear are boundless. One brand of tire I never thought much of was Goodyear. Strong on the shoulders but soft in the middle. The other is Yokahama. I never saw a tire that punctured so easily . If I had a dime for every Amish sheet metal screw and every Amish horseshoe nail I put through those tires I could probably own my own tire company.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Firestone Winterforce cheap and bulletproof for a Sprinter. I jumped from page one to the end if it's a repeat.
On my car I bought dedicated snows this week, Hankook
Hankook Winter I*cept Evo2 W320

For the wife I bought Goodyear Assurance TripleTread A/S today.
We both got new cars on the same day, so it was a big damn tire expense week.

DriverNerd

I used Nokian all seasons about 5 years ago. The new all seasons are said to be much better than the ones I used, I've heard really good things about them. The Nokians of old I found to be a good tire in the snow (for not being a dedicated snow tire), but pretty lousy in the summer. I have a Mazda 3 and run dedicated snow tires in the winter (Minnesota). It is an investment up front yes, but well worth it to have sticky summer rubber in a larger, wider size, and snows that are smaller and narrower. The summer tires last as long as an all season would (with a lower treadwear rating) because I don't run them all year. Winter tires last about 3 years (for me) until they're not really competent for winter use.

Besides the Nokians, I've heard good things about the General Altimax (but that may be more to how cheap they are) and the Michelin Premier. The Continental PureContact are getting great reviews, but I have no experience with them (and don't know anyone that has used them).

Last edited: