SPHOR

SWORDFISH

Please do not confuse over allowed or under allowed with SPORH. They are two completelt different thing that have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

They all equate to a payday. Other than that I dont care. They have to make #s to keep their job I dont.:peaceful:

Hey Upstate, since we're on the subject I think there is a minor flaw in your methods with regards to indirect deliveries. I can't say that I'm 100% sure that I'm right because I learned it in school when I first started driving from an instructor that hadn't delivered in 15 years and when she did it was only for 30 days.

She said the method was to leave the note that you delivered it next door. Her logic was that if you got the signature next door you wouldn't have to go back and write a note. If you didn't get the signature then obviously you would have to go back and re-write the note.

I'm not sure she knew what she was talking about because it doesn't really make the most sense to me. I'm thinking the odds are greater that you can't find a signature at the alterenate address so you should leave the note saying it will be re-attempted on the next day.

I'm talking residential stops here. Obviously if you know that the next suite will take his neighbor's parcels then you would leave the note first. Does this make sense? Do you follow me?
340 - E Methods, pg. 35, Section 7, Article VII, states:
A. As you approach the delivery, you should have chosen the "most likely' indirect delivery location at "not in" stops. Adult Signatures Required cannot be indirected.
B. If the reciever is not in and a signature is required for a prepaid package, leave an infonotice indicating where you intend to leave the package and attempt to make the delivery to a neighbor.
C. Make an indirect delivery attempt at your first "most likely" location. If that doesn't work, you already know where to go next - your "second most likely" candidate .
Article VIII Use the infonotices correctly
A. Scan and leave infonotices
2. Before attempting an alternate delivery. Return and change the infonotice only if your intended alternate delivery changes.

Omega man

Sword fish, aren't you a cover driver? The 3day certifications are specific to a single driver on a specifis route. And thats only if its apples to apples. Saying the Union does not recognize the numbers is true. However they do recognize the demonstrated level of STOPS PER ON ROAD HOUR, if you are running the same stops, miles, packages, and you are less than what you performed with a sup on car for 3days you can expect to be disciplined.

Any local union that recognizes demonstrated level in any way, shape, or form should be replaced. They would be acknowledging and accepting UPS' nonsense. SPORH cannot be used as a consistent or fair gauge for performance! There are always variables that are changing from day to day. Taking a 3-day average statistically does not address this fairly. UPS upper management tries to use SPORH because they have nothing else.

Omega man

The only thing that can be inferred from the SPORH generated on any 3-day ride is that, if the driver is following all the methods, the resulting demonstrated level is appropriate for that 3-day ride only. It can’t be applied to any other days.

SPORH is tied to area stop density and piece per stop counts. These are directly tied to the current volume. As we progress through the year the volume changes as does the area stop density and pps (pieces per stop). A given driver will produce one demonstrated level of performance in February as well as another in June and another in December.) It is all tied to the volume. Since the volume is always changing a driver’s demonstrated performance will change. This is why SPORH cannot be used as a fair gauge! Demonstrated levels of performance will also change within individual weeks. Volume is lighter on Mondays and Fridays compared to mid-week. Generally, demonstrated performance will increase mid-week because the volume increases.

The bottom line here is to never accept any argument UPS management uses pertaining to a driver meeting a consistent demonstrated level of performance. It should never occur.

browned out

The only thing that can be inferred from the SPORH generated on any 3-day ride is that, if the driver is following all the methods, the resulting demonstrated level is appropriate for that 3-day ride only. It can’t be applied to any other days.

SPORH is tied to area stop density and piece per stop counts. These are directly tied to the current volume. As we progress through the year the volume changes as does the area stop density and pps (pieces per stop). A given driver will produce one demonstrated level of performance in February as well as another in June and another in December.) It is all tied to the volume. Since the volume is always changing a driver’s demonstrated performance will change. This is why SPORH cannot be used as a fair gauge! Demonstrated levels of performance will also change within individual weeks. Volume is lighter on Mondays and Fridays compared to mid-week. Generally, demonstrated performance will increase mid-week because the volume increases.

The bottom line here is to never accept any argument UPS management uses pertaining to a driver meeting a consistent demonstrated level of performance. It should never occur.

I know we have been over this but it still irks me. A driver in our center got a 3 day with the load like you see in training videos. After 3 day they throw back all his signature required neighborhoods and gated subs and expect him to maintain stops per hour. The center manager told him you were running 19 stops per hour and you better get back to it. He told center manager that the time study was not based on the same rte. center manager said you better skip your lunch or breaks or somehow make up the time.

Anyhow they really pissed him off with this bull and now instead of a mediocre driver; he is now the best method driver we have in the building. Now he is 1 hour to 2 and 1/2 hours over instead of around .75 to 1 over.

SWORDFISH

I know we have been over this but it still irks me. A driver in our center got a 3 day with the load like you see in training videos. After 3 day they throw back all his signature required neighborhoods and gated subs and expect him to maintain stops per hour. The center manager told him you were running 19 stops per hour and you better get back to it. He told center manager that the time study was not based on the same rte. center manager said you better skip your lunch or breaks or somehow make up the time.

Anyhow they really pissed him off with this bull and now instead of a mediocre driver; he is now the best method driver we have in the building. Now he is 1 hour to 2 and 1/2 hours over instead of around .75 to 1 over.

Good! Thats how I would respond as well. Actually I just had my OCS observing me today and he said my methods were flawless. He called me a signal freak(cause I use my signals more than anyone he has seen). LOL We have alot more power than we think at times.

Ah ha, they are doing our rides on Wed Thurs Fri.

I like your argument. I will use it the next time I get called in. Thanks.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Any local union that recognizes demonstrated level in any way, shape, or form should be replaced. They would be acknowledging and accepting UPS' nonsense. SPORH cannot be used as a consistent or fair gauge for performance! There are always variables that are changing from day to day. Taking a 3-day average statistically does not address this fairly. UPS upper management tries to use SPORH because they have nothing else.

bingo...IMO they get so jaded by the 1% of drivers who are really out there trying to screw things up that they dont realize folks who are out there busting it as safe as they can.Even if they say they can keep a route consistent to make demostrated numbers stick, it will always go back to being all over the board. Company doesnt even know how to load an 8 hour day onto a car,,,how are they suppose to keep someone at the sane stop delivered and picked up for the foreseeable future....???

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting

I wonder if you took ups' though on "averages" to someone who was familiar with statistics..lets say a college professor and gave them info, I wonder what they would say about it...might be very interesting!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
SPOHR only encompasses two variables in a very complicated equation.
While they expect alot, and make hallow attempts at discipline for SPOHR, it doesn't stick.
This is evident in your building where the same driver has now gotten two "final warning letters" for this issue in leu of any real discipline.
It's a shallow bluff that works on the weak at heart.
Do the job by the methods and let the numbers be what they will, and you'll be fine.

True, but I think it just bugs many drivers that ARE keeping on task, but the numbers are just not there...especially when a sup goes out with you and doesnt know where an hour and a half went. You shouldnt have to run and cut corners on methods AND safety just to run scratch....something is wrong with the numbers as a whole. Wasnt the bonus system started by jim casey as a way to reward drivers who wanted to take on extra work...now its ONLY a production tool. We are paid well and I believe should perform well....not running around like a chicken with its head cut off...thats a portion of the reason accidents and injuries happen..not from people not paying attention but from idiots trying to please the man with bogus numbers..its a tool..nothing else.

browned out

True, but I think it just bugs many drivers that ARE keeping on task, but the numbers are just not there...especially when a sup goes out with you and doesnt know where an hour and a half went. You shouldnt have to run and cut corners on methods AND safety just to run scratch....something is wrong with the numbers as a whole. Wasnt the bonus system started by jim casey as a way to reward drivers who wanted to take on extra work...now its ONLY a production tool. We are paid well and I believe should perform well....not running around like a chicken with its head cut off...thats a portion of the reason accidents and injuries happen..not from people not paying attention but from idiots trying to please the man with bogus numbers..its a tool..nothing else.

They will generate dozens of reports on the driver running over such as time between del stops, time between pu stops; time at the stop, overallowed etc. Where is the report that shows a bonus driver making 12 different pu that are miles apart in 3 minutes.

I know where they are filed with the reports of injury rates going up since we went to 150lb weight limit. We know these report mongers have these but we will never see them and no action will be taken.

Omega man

I wonder if you took ups' though on "averages" to someone who was familiar with statistics..lets say a college professor and gave them info, I wonder what they would say about it...might be very interesting!

My comments are born from my education and training in mathematics and statistical analysis. UPS is trying to fool everyone into believing that SPORH is somehow a fair and accurate way to gauge performance when most of us know that it is not. The reason why the over-under system was developed is because it gives allowances for the different variables that occur each day. SPORH does not. You have 30 more miles to drive today? Too bad, you still must make SPORH. You have 3 extra 100 piece bulk stops on you today? Too bad, you still must make SPORH. UPS handcuffed themselves with the over-under system because they did not encompass enough variables that they were looking at (like sort time) and they did not give fair allowances for the few variables that they were looking at.

browned out

Slave to the technology that they created. Now it is taking mgmt jobs. Hal I will dispatch this route from the HUB your services are no longer needed.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hell, if you cant even run scratch on a route that you know and do everyday something is wrong 90 percent of the time. 10% of overallowed drivers really have issues with talking etc, but the other ones...when you are 2 hours over on a route that is your bid route and the sup comes out and nitpicks a couple things but cant find anything sucking up the hours then there is an issue with the area or timestudy....WHICH NEVER GETS LOOKED AT. ITS AN INTEGRITY ISSUE 90% of the time. Two hours doesnt just disappear...unless ie changes a few numbers. The simple fact is they have to change the time every few years then make something up to justify loosing the time to keep the car number down and to hold mgt accountable for getting more gains with less people, while the volume goes up..that simple really.

NHDRVR

Our center manager announced that our center is being time studied today and he advised us to follow all of the methods as it would be in our favor to do so.

The majority of the runs in our center were given some time back. My run, along with many of the house call runs, got between .50 and .75 given to them. In the end though it's just another # that your going to be held to so it doesn't mean a hell of a lot...

JustTired

free at last.......
The truth of the matter is............

The truth of the matter is that systems are developed. Then they are touted as the "greatest thing the company has ever seen". They will cost $XX millions to implement, but will save 2-3 times that in wages and time.
Take the diad for example. Did it save wages and time? Yes and no. It didn't save the driver that much in the way of time. It still took as long to drive to the stop. It still took as long to handle the packages. It took as long for just about every facet of a drivers daily routine.
Where it did save time was in the functions that happened after the driver performed his duties. No more filing of paper records. No more digging through stacks of paper to trace a pkg and so on....
Yet, the main focus in time-savings was on the part of the equation that benefited the least.

The truth of the matter is every system implemented is touted to save the driver time in doing his job. Therefore, adjustments are made to reflect that thought.
I liken it to gas saving devices touted to increase your fuel mileage. If you used every one of these products.....you should never have to fill your gas tank again! That, in my opinion, is what's happening to the standards as time goes on.

The truth of the matter is.....reality has left the playing field. While every advance in technology has the potential to cut costs.....there has to be some basis in reality. You cannot stack 8 systems touted to save the driver 1 hour each on top of one another and expect to save 8 hours in delivery time. Or maybe you can expect it. Let me know when you get it!