spicer truck 2nd gear

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by nystripe96, Jul 3, 2013.

1. nystripe96

nystripe96 Active Member

I was working with a driver yesterday and noticed that every time he came to a stop rather than put the truck in 1st he'd start it in 2nd. I'm just curious if that's customary with those types of package cars?

2. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

1st in many vehicles is a creeper gear and even though the mechanics hate it many drivers just start in 2nd and burn up clutch faster.

3. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Not sure if I have ever used first on a ups truck lol.

4. 104Feeder

104Feeder Phoenix Feeder

Gas P1000s I always started in 2nd without the clutch. We only use the clutch in Tractors for 1st, Reverse, and whatever gear you start off in. Some Internationals like you to start in 4th or 5th if it's tractor only, 2nd or 3rd works for most loads. FUN FACT: you can roll start a Mack in reverse.

5. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

What, no automatic tranny?

I remember years back hearing, "we will never have automatic transmissions"... now, almost 3/4 of the line is.

6. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

2nd gear in a Spicer is the equivalent of first gear in a normal car transmission. First gear in a Spicer is a "granny" creeper gear that you would only use if you were heavy loaded and going from a dead stop on a steep hill.

7. stink219

stink219 Well-Known Member

Using first gear for every stop allows an addition 2 second lag. Those seconds add up over 30 years. Teamster IE.

8. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

Any time you get a howling noise from the clutch is when it disagrees with your gear choice.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  9. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

If transmission complains just ram it into gear and say "take this b*tch!".

10. Necropostophiliac

Necropostophiliac Well-Known Member

Great and 1BrownWrench must pick up the all the residue
    [​IMG]

11. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

If ya can't find em, grind em!

12. Tough Guy

Tough Guy Active Member

What exactly is a "spicer"?

13. 1BROWNWRENCH

I'm only responsible for the pieces that make it back to the shop. Whatever is scattered all over the intersection is not my problem.

14. 1BROWNWRENCH

Spicer is the manufacturer of a lot of the 5speed manuals you will find at UPS. That and Eaton.

15. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Spicer tested some new clutches in my center and they were dismal failures. Everyone hated the trucks with Spicer clutches.

16. 1BROWNWRENCH

This is nothing. I had one driver turn the flywheel blue and the Kevlar disc into charcoal!

17. cachsux

cachsux Wah

"Ok for use"

18. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Yup, we can get another 15000 miles outta that!

19. Ms.PacMan

Ms.PacMan Well-Known Member

I put my truck in 1st at every stop, knock it into neutral when I start it and take off in 2nd. I have a very hilly route - don't trust leaving the truck in 2nd at a stop.

20. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

I push my gear pad D and release the air brake/parking break.