Started driving after August 2010 = no retro check. And rookies might make more than you.

Socrates

If you are a driver and started, say, October 2012, your pay is currently $18.45/hour. You will not be getting a retro check. You will not be getting a .70/hour raise. You will make 18.45 until October.

If you are a driver and started July 2013, your pay is currently $17.25/hour. You will not be getting a retro check. You will not be getting a .70/hour raise. You will make $17.25 until July - and then you'll make $18.45/hour for the next year.

If you are a driver and started in August 2014, your pay is not only $18.75/hour, now, but you'll be getting a retro check if for some reason the company was paying you the old $17.25. On August 1st, you'll get a raise to $19.50/hour.

If you are a driver and started in September 2011, congrats! At $20.75/hour, you're one of the few people to be making more than the guys just now walking through the door. Gut it out for a few more months and you'll be at top rate.

---

I know, I know, "new guys have 4 year progression". But still. I can take making 1/2 as much as guys who have been in this thing for years and years, but making $1-1.50/hour less than a guy who walked in the door 2 days ago? And making less than them for at least a year, and upwards of 2 years? That's messed up.

TL;DR - if you started driving between August 2010 and July 2013, you ain't getting no retro check; between August 2012 and July 2013 = new guys make more than you.

kingOFchester

In the long run, you will still of made more money. Anyway you slice it.

Unless you quit or get fired before hitting top rate. Sucks balls I know in the short scheme of things.
"Get the big picture".

And for all of us union folks we all know the answer to "how wide and deep" "whats in it?"

Its plenty wide and extremely deep, with no lube and the union and UPS sticking it in.

upschuck

If you are a driver and started, say, October 2012, your pay is currently $18.45/hour. You will not be getting a retro check. You will not be getting a .70/hour raise. You will make 18.45 until October.
You will get retro from Aug 1 to Oct ?.
If you are a driver and started July 2013, your pay is currently $17.25/hour. You will not be getting a retro check. You will not be getting a .70/hour raise. You will make $17.25 until July - and then you'll make $18.45/hour for the next year.
If you started in July 2013 you should be making 17.95(17.25+.70)
If you are a driver and started in August 2014, your pay is not only $18.75/hour, now, but you'll be getting a retro check if for some reason the company was paying you the old $17.25. On August 1st, you'll get a raise to $19.50/hour.
I'm assuming you meant Aug 2013, and they will not get a retro check. They follow progression in new contract, no Aug 1 raises(unless you seniority date is Aug 1)

Socrates

I'm assuming you meant Aug 2013, and they will not get a retro check. They follow progression in new contract, no Aug 1 raises(unless you seniority date is Aug 1)
Oops, yes, I meant Aug 2013.

As far as raises/retro checks, I submit the following:

Article 41 Section 2(c) of the prior Agreement shall remain in effect for all employees in that progression as of
the date of the ratification.
This is why so many of us <3 guys have yet to see a raise on our paychecks.

In theory, it would take about 4 1/2 minutes for UPS to figure out who is being overpaid. If you are correct, they could just CTRL-friend in that giant UPS building in Atlanta, look for 18.45, and correct it to $19.50; and do the same for 17.25 and 16.10, raising them to 18.75, because in theory, nobody should be making those wages any more. If I am correct, our wages will stay at what they are now until our old-contract raises kick in.

kingOFchester

You get both progression and GWI raises.

Look at Art 41 Section 1. Second to the last sentence states that everyone in progression on Aug 1 will get the GWI raises.

Not according to my local and labor at UPS. I am at top rate, but have inquired for new drivers.

upschuck

Not according to my local and labor at UPS. I am at top rate, but have inquired for new drivers.
It is in black and white. Why else would it say what it says? Unless your supplement says different(mine says nothing about pay), then I would grieve and ask for penalty pay.

Inthegame

It is in black and white. Why else would it say what it says? Unless your supplement says different(mine says nothing about pay), then I would grieve and ask for penalty pay.
And when would the sentence "Full time employees still in progression on the effective date of this Master Agreement shall receive the above contractual increases." ever apply if not now?

kingOFchester

Grieve? How? The union is saying this is the way it is. They agree with UPS. This is how the contract is written. There is no grieving the issue.

upschuck

Grieve? How? The union is saying this is the way it is. They agree with UPS. This is how the contract is written. There is no grieving the issue.
Show them in the contract, and tell them to explain what it means if it doesn't mean what it says. I don't see how they can dispute it.

Do you have a supplement that says to the contrary? There is no gray area in the NMA. Grieve it anyway just to get an explanation as to why they don't get it. Use Art 41 Sec 1 as to why they should. The two sections are not mutually exclusive.

kingOFchester

Show them in the contract, and tell them to explain what it means if it doesn't mean what it says. I don't see how they can dispute it.

Do you have a supplement that says to the contrary? There is no gray area in the NMA. Grieve it anyway just to get an explanation as to why they don't get it. Use Art 41 Sec 1 as to why they should. The two sections are not mutually exclusive.

Actually, I was talking about a pre august 1st 2013 progression driver not going to the new progression rate. Not the GWI. My fault for not being clear.

Quigley

If you are a driver and started in September 2011, congrats! At $20.75/hour, you're one of the few people to be making more than the guys just now walking through the door. Gut it out for a few more months and you'll be at top rate.

---

I know, I know, "new guys have 4 year progression". But still. I can take making 1/2 as much as guys who have been in this thing for years and years, but making $1-1.50/hour less than a guy who walked in the door 2 days ago? And making less than them for at least a year, and upwards of 2 years? That's messed up.

TL;DR - if you started driving between August 2010 and July 2013, you ain't getting no retro check; between August 2012 and July 2013 = new guys make more than you.
Fortunately there are BA's out there that will fight for whats right. Regardless whether they win or not at least they will try, and not just sit back and accept what is obviously wrong.

sportsjock

We have drivers in their second year progression under the old contract, that got bumped up to the new two year rate of $21.00

Sent using BrownCafe App

Big d

No raises for anyone in the progression of the old contract and yes someone with almost 2 years of driving makes less than somebody going to driver school on there first day. Our union rep also told us we would get .70 cent yearly increase which is not true. They also said the insurance was equal to what we had before but we know that's not true as well

Sent using BrownCafe App