Public perception

87brown

Just curious, what will the public perception be on a scenario where you have a company that pays the employees $41 an hour full benefits for everyone in the household with no additional cost to the employee and a retirement plan now my main question is, when the public sees this it’s not going to look good not to mention all they have to do is say we offered them air conditioning 2 1/2 dollars in pay raises throughout the life of the contract. I just don’t believe this is going to be like in 1997 especially when you can compare what we do with what Amazon does and they don’t make any where near what we make I guess my main question to everybody here is seriously how much an hour more would change your life or with the possibility of a lot of people losing their job change their life it just doesn’t make much sense to me very confused not to mention it’s gonna be hard to stand out there with a picket sign. Especially when you can see the cable workers digging holes all day and they don’t get paid anywhere near but we get paid no different than the air conditioning people or roofers. I don’t know maybe it’s just me but I’m starting to think maybe we are pricing ourselves out of the industry and eventually, if we don’t stop, we will be the Sears & Roebuck of shipping

anonymous23456

Yeah. Damn if you do and damn if you don't. Even Walmart is scared of Amazon. Race to the bottom for the middle class and lower. Race to the top for the wealthy. No one knows how to fix this problem. Does the Union have a solution? Nope. If the Union has a solution, it would be starting employee-owned companies and make your own products/services. Do you think Union management knows how to operate hotdog stands?

anonymous23456

So, who should get the money, because ups will not stop raising their prices.
UPS can raise their prices all they want...when was the last time you need to mail a package out? It is all about buying stuff from Amazon for free delivery like next day. This is where UPS will lose with shrinking market share... %50 of market share and shrinking.

OK...there are two kinds of packages shipping: business and consumer. Consumer packages are overwhelmingly Amazon. UPS won't win there. The business package type will be shared with FedEx, DHL, USPS, and other third party shipping companies.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Just curious, what will the public perception be on a scenario where you have a company that pays the employees $41 an hour full benefits for everyone in the household with no additional cost to the employee and a retirement plan now my main question is, when the public sees this it’s not going to look good not to mention all they have to do is say we offered them air conditioning 2 1/2 dollars in pay raises throughout the life of the contract. I just don’t believe this is going to be like in 1997 especially when you can compare what we do with what Amazon does and they don’t make any where near what we make I guess my main question to everybody here is seriously how much an hour more would change your life or with the possibility of a lot of people losing their job change their life it just doesn’t make much sense to me very confused not to mention it’s gonna be hard to stand out there with a picket sign. Especially when you can see the cable workers digging holes all day and they don’t get paid anywhere near but we get paid no different than the air conditioning people or roofers. I don’t know maybe it’s just me but I’m starting to think maybe we are pricing ourselves out of the industry and eventually, if we don’t stop, we will be the Sears & Roebuck of shipping
Cable diggers go home after 8 hrs.

anonymous23456

I'm not kidding. I went to UPS Store to send out a package for Xmas. I thought I was getting it in the behind. I hated it and I didn't really want to mail out anything (and that is only once a year)! It is too expensive, and I do more buying on Amazon than shipping anything for myself.

upschuck

UPS can raise their prices all they want...when was the last time you need to mail a package out? It is all about buying stuff from Amazon for free delivery like next day. This is where UPS will lose with shrinking market share... %50 of market share and shrinking.

OK...there are two kinds of packages shipping: business and consumer. Consumer packages are overwhelmingly Amazon. UPS won't win there. The business package type will be shared with FedEx, DHL, USPS, and other third party shipping companies.
So, you want ups to raise prices, and not give the people who do the work, a raise, then blame them for the shrinking market share.

upschuck

I'm not kidding. I went to UPS Store to send out a package for Xmas. I thought I was getting it in the behind. I hated it and I didn't really want to mail out anything (and that is only once a year)! It is too expensive, and I do more buying on Amazon than shipping anything for myself.
First mistake was going to the ups store. They will gouge people.

There really no such thing as free shipping, if that is what you are looking for.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

“How’s the weather In Atlanta?” :felloforit1:

DELACROIX

Well we will start the new year off with a year and a half before a new contract I foresee a tiered system no new driver will see the pay that we get also most likely no more retirement a 401(k) match I know a lot of you will say no way no how but in order for this company to be profitable and succeed it must happen there's no possible way we can stay afloat and be competitive I am all for it because I want to see my retirement be there as many of you know the central states pension fund goes belly up in seven years will UPS Help out with existing retirees already retired and or the future retirees will they help them and subsidize the shortfall keeping in mind UPS truly has no obligation considering they already gave the Teamsters the money and now it's all gone because of their lack of being proactive and trying to address this way back in 97 when we had the strike because surely that's what it was all about those are very important questions if you plan on retiring here in the next 5 to 10 years

Circa 2016…:tiesmiley:

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Yeah but you sent it out anyway

DELACROIX

Now tell me who raises our shipping rates and adds new surcharges every year. Isn’t it the same people that give out dividends and annual MIP stock payments?

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
The public loves their ups driver and we have their full support. If you drive and your customers don't love you then you are doing it wrong.

Arizax2

People I talk to are surprised UPS drivers make what they make. There's not alot of jobs out there that will pay that much, with a pension, the type of insurance and all that with a requirement of only a GED. Reality sets in quick when compared to other companies. UPSers works hard for that $ but lets not get it twisted that there are not much options out there to match or exceed that.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
There will be no UPS in 10-15 years. Shareholders don’t care. They are all allocated in Amazon stock. Race to the bottom will choke us out very quickly
This company has survived 2 world wars, the depression, over 100 years of history, and most recently the COVID pandemic. All the while, at least the last 3 1/2 decades that I can attest to paying industry leading wages and benefits. However many ways there may be to conduct business ups has adapted very well. Will be here in 10-15 years. Who's fear mongering now?

Brown Down

most of my customers are with us as most see us out after dark still working. they know we make good money but most also see our free time is limited and they feel bad. For those that don't understand i make it known most days im eating dinner as they are going to bed. Thats the real eye opener.