STAY OUT OF RESIDENTIAL DRIVEWAYS!! NO EXCEPTIONS!! What would you do ?

texan

I want to apologize in advance if I ever post something that offends you.
ahh but 407th has a big very kind heart.
imagesCASSRQNT_zps6e46ea47.jpg

Steward773

I thought I was going to die 3 times while watching this. Just another reason I'm glad I bit the bullet and bid a 22.3.

Indecisi0n

There is a section of my route with (literally) an aligator infested canal along side, there are wild hogs, deer, and snakes everywhere, along with every flying insect you can imagine. The driveways are about half mile long and full of ankle breaking pot holes, knee deep water/mud holes, low hanging trees, ants, you name it.

For years I've driven these driveways. Ive' been in an older truck with no telematics/keyless yet, and I got put into a newer 1200 bus recently with it. Tattle-tell-ematics reported I'm driving up and down these driveways, I was instructed not to Friday. I explained how long/dangerous they are, and was told to walk it..

I know, work as instructed, I dont feel safe working as instructed. I sheeted them missed Monday, brought them back, I said I dont feel safe, comfortable, and was trying to expect the unexpected (being killed) and was told cant do that, deliver them. So I went back out, and recorded one of the driveways. How would you handle this, instructions are to walk the driveway. Expect the unexpected, and the "management cant instruct you to do something dangerous" plays in here too. I REFUSE to walk these driveways, it is NOT safe... And was instructed not to sheet them missed.

I have continued to not work as instructed and drove up and down them this week after being told not to.

Heres a video, driveway is actually another 40-50 Yards longer but camera stopped by mistake, mailbox is all the way at the end past where video stops. This is NOT a road, it's a private driveway. And I'm going slow because it's a terrible surface, all those ankle breaking potholes and dips shake the truck and I'm trying to keep pcs on the shelf. This is only 11 am with a full load

If I explained to my sup that type of driveway and he says "I don't care walk it off" then you should work as directed. I would put the package on a handcart and spends 45 mins VERY carefully walking it off. If it was a heavy load on a handcart I would call for a second man.

When will drivers learn, use their rules against them. I love sending in 1AM ETA's.

Work as instructed and walk your stuff off. When they see you 2 1/2 to 3 hours over they will stop that. And you will you make some extra "cheddar" in your pocket. Just pick up a branch or hard stick you find on the ground just in case something confronted you and carry that back and forth on your stop.

Johney

Work as instructed and walk your stuff off. When they see you 2 1/2 to 3 hours over they will stop that.
The problem with this is you will most likely get an OJS ride and I'd be willing to bet that stop wouldn't be part of it.

Big Babooba

I am ok with you driving down the driveway...however you need to put that radio in the back.

That's not a driveway, it's an access road. I have a few stops like that. The radio should not obscure the windshield in any way. If you get in an accident, you've given them some rope to hang you with.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
That looks like a private road to me, not a driveway. I would drive it, I have a few that are a quarter mile long at least. You could use your tripometer on your dash to measure it if they gripe anymore about it.

bbsam

Staff member
Show the video to terminal staff to explain why you can't stay out of the "driveway". Have OSHA and your union steward there with you. I will be surprised if you walk out of the room with a job. Don't you know it's against the law to use a hand held device while driving? UPS courld be slapped with a healthy fine for your YouTube posting.

balland chain

OK,,if you were holding your phone to record this driveway, and did not have mounted, then go back on one of your days off, in your personal car to document this driveway/road/or whatever UPS wants to call it, get rid of the one posted here and replace it with the one you have made on your time, in your car.. If there are gators, I would not get out under any circumstance. You can not protect yourself against one of those, unless you have a gun. I have refused to get out of my package car when I was delivering in the country and there was a bad dog in the driveway that would have done some serious damage. Back then UPS would notify the customer and let them know they would need to keep the dog contained so I could safely deliver the package. I dont think these people can contain the gator. UPS does not give a crap about us and our safety, just their numbers and profits. I would still contact OSHA, and the Union, and show my center manager this "driveway." and tell them if you walk this off, your LIFE may be in danger. Too many people are dragged into canals in FL by gators. Approx. 2 years ago a female (adult) died while jogging and a gator attacked her and dragged her into the canal, a young boy, bot jogging, died from a similar attack. These both happened about 2 years ago. If you get no help from Union,OSHA or the company stands it's ground, then on a sat drive out there and talk to the customer and let them know your worries, and see if they will let you call them when you have a delivery, and meet you at the end of the "driveway." Personally, I dont thnk you will get fired, unless you show them the original video that was taken in the package car..These are just my opinion's..heck, if all fails, bid off that run...

CoolArrow

If you wouldn't take the truck down that lane you could forget about being a driver here. It's not all curb and gutter with cute little Monopoly houses at the end of a short concrete drive.

I drive a rural route with a few roads like this on it. Those packages get left at the gate or the customer comes to get them, or leaves a box out front for me to leave the packages in. We don't have to go down roads like this they can damage the vehicle or in this case you could realistically get stuck. The branches alone look like they could scratch the hell out of the car.

FilingBluesFL

I would totally do as the management instructed.

But first I would make sure to GET IT IN WRITING, that they specifically want you to walk down each and every one of those driveways.

THEN I would, every single day, walk down each one of those "driveways."

When you start coming in at 9pm, 10pm every day of the week, start filing a 9.5 grievance.

We have a guy doing a rural route like that, MAYBE 70 stops a day... When I am assigned to it, I get 90-110 a day.

I wouldn't show anyone in management that video, either...

bham brown

I drive down stuff like this and worse every day. Scratching the truck is not even talked about around here anymore. My boss would never ask me to walk that either. Those that say they wouldn't drive that must have never been out of the city. Not everyone lives in the concrete jungle

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Go back on one of your days off, in your personal car to document this driveway/road/or whatever UPS wants to call it, get rid of the one posted here and replace it with the one you have made on your time, in your car.

Thats a quicker way to lose your job.

Never.... Ever....

Do something on your own time.... That involves the company's customers.

Follow the grievance procedure.

​-Bug-