Still thinking about making UPS a career

Lucidd

Some of you may remember me lol. The 16 year old who considered making UPS a career and not going to college. Anyway's, ill be 17 in 4 months and I'm still thinking the same way. Sure i considered other options, but in the end I'm still thinking about UPS.
I don't think I'll mind the hard work, I'll get to stay in shape. I won't mind the years it'll take to work up to full time driver postions, and i can have another job while I'm doing part time. Anyways, thinking about just graduating high school, then jumping straight into working and having my own place, even if i gotta work 2 jobs for awhile. The benefits, good pay when moved up, and a workout. School just isn't my thing.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You may think UPS is an easy way out , if you're not looking forward to college ,, but let me give you some advice , go to school son !!!
You are young and healthy and your body feels great ! I'm I correct?
UPS is a high paced physical job that little by little , day by day , year after year will beat you down ! It gives you a very hard family life, something you won't understand till you're a father,! You will miss a lot in the kids lives, baseball games , dance recitals , school functions , and will challenge even the best of marriages , many here have fallen to divorce, either by stupid choices, or the wife couldn't deal with being basically a signal mother because hubby was on the road till 830/900 pm . Aside from the great pay and benefits , you become mentally fried and physically stressed and rarely an "attah boy " from these people , you just constantly have to defend your #s from yesterday ! There's not a guy I know here that's a day over 50 that's not on medication , or has had some type of surgery or just plain limps in or out of here , I have 28 years in and yes ,, when I was a young kid starting here at 24 , thought I was invincible , like the most of us here now around 50 !!!'
Think about trade school if your not into college , UPS is a great place and made me a great living so far , but I missed out on so much of my family and friends that it does bother me at times ,, when you turn 18 ,,, sign up for a driver helper position ,, if healthy , trust me your hired , this is the best job they have to show you the real life of a UPS DRIVER, I don't want to discourage you kid ,, hopefully educated you a bit !
Merry Christmas ,, study hard , get the most out of you're youth and life !!!!

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Go be a welder. They make more than us and can get certified in a year. UPS should not be your first choice

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You may think UPS is an easy way out , if you're not looking forward to college ,, but let me give you some advice , go to school son !!!
You are young and healthy and your body feels great ! I'm I correct?
UPS is a high paced physical job that little by little , day by day , year after year will beat you down ! It gives you a very hard family life, something you won't understand till you're a father,! You will miss a lot in the kids lives, baseball games , dance recitals , school functions , and will challenge even the best of marriages , many here have fallen to divorce, either by stupid choices, or the wife couldn't deal with being basically a signal mother because hubby was on the road till 830/900 pm . Aside from the great pay and benefits , you become mentally fried and physically stressed and rarely an "attah boy " from these people , you just constantly have to defend your #s from yesterday ! There's not a guy I know here that's a day over 50 that's not on medication , or has had some type of surgery or just plain limps in or out of here , I have 28 years in and yes ,, when I was a young kid starting here at 24 , thought I was invincible , like the most of us here now around 50 !!!'
Think about trade school if your not into college , UPS is a great place and made me a great living so far , but I missed out on so much of my family and friends that it does bother me at times ,, when you turn 18 ,,, sign up for a driver helper position ,, if healthy , trust me your hired , this is the best job they have to show you the real life of a UPS DRIVER, I don't want to discourage you kid ,, hopefully educated you a bit !
Merry Christmas ,, study hard , get the most out of you're youth and life !!!!
Very well said Covemastah.

Lucidd

I was thinking about going to trade school and being a plumber. Since plumbers are basically always going to be in demand. Then i planned on working my way up and starting my own plumbing business.

Does this sound like a good idea? Basically skipping out on college and eventually starting my own business and being my own boss.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
My cousin is 25 years old. He graduated top of his class from ucla. He looked for a job for 2 years. He couldn't even get an unpaid internship. He's now going to grad school to get his masters because he cannot find a job. There is a surplus of 20 somethings with bachelor degrees. So many so that bachelor degrees are just about meaningless.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Well, you can do worse than a union job with great benefits and insurance. Apply and start when you can.

I'm not sure what this job will look like in 30 years with automation, driverless cars, and 3D printing but get in and start that 401k.

MemphisHubFedExer

My cousin is 25 years old. He graduated top of his class from ucla. He looked for a job for 2 years. He couldn't even get an unpaid internship. He's now going to grad school to get his masters because he cannot find a job. There is a surplus of 20 somethings with bachelor degrees. So many so that bachelor degrees are just about meaningless.
This is very true, however it only helps you in the long run to have a degree. don't know about ups, but fedex does offer a fairly generous tuition reimbursement program. That way you get experience with the company and you won't be looking for a job once you get a degree. I'm currently taking advantage of the program. I know this kid is looking at ups, and it might give him a similar opportunity.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Some of you may remember me lol. The 16 year old who considered making UPS a career and not going to college. Anyway's, ill be 17 in 4 months and I'm still thinking the same way. Sure i considered other options, but in the end I'm still thinking about UPS.
I don't think I'll mind the hard work, I'll get to stay in shape. I won't mind the years it'll take to work up to full time driver postions, and i can have another job while I'm doing part time. Anyways, thinking about just graduating high school, then jumping straight into working and having my own place, even if i gotta work 2 jobs for awhile. The benefits, good pay when moved up, and a workout. School just isn't my thing.
Dude you might be the only person ever to fantasize about working at UPS as a teenager. But I say hey, sounds like you really want this. Who are we to change your mind?

Sounds like you have a good work ethic and that alone should be huge for you as you figure things out as a young adult. I would have gone the college route if I could do it over. But I can't say I hate my job as a UPS driver either.

All about perspective, and no matter what, the grass is always greener on the other side. No matter how good one has it. Good luck

Box Ox

I won't mind the years it'll take to work up to full time driver postions, and i can have another job while I'm doing part time.

Don't be this guy. UPS is a good fallback option if the other stuff you thought you'd be happy with doesn't work out. Trade school, a college degree in health/tech/engineering, etc.

Like @Covemastah said. You're young, body probably feels good and you should avoid the year after year of daily grind if you can. Be your own boss and/or enjoy an office if the alternative work would be fulfilling for you.

20lhe0.jpg

JL 0513

Don't go to college if that's not what you want. The market is already saturated with useless degree holders who can't get jobs anyway. Never mind the tens of thousands in student debt afterwards.

If you don't have a strong interest in something, then a career with UPS is a good option. You hear a lot of guys talking it down here on the internet just as people only go on discussion boards to talk about the problems with their cars or whatever and not what's good about it.

List a number of trades you think you'd like to do for a career and weigh the positives and negatives. Nothing that pays is a cakewalk. Are their challenges with being a UPS driver? Of course, just like every other good job. You're not going to find $35/hr in many places, especially with no degree.

This is the job in averages:

9 - 10 hr days - Really not bad unless you really don't want more than 40 hrs a week. But that $52/hr after 8 hrs really adds up.

150 stops/day = a lot of repetitive motions. Most jobs have repetitive motions or worse yet stagnant working conditions (sitting or standing in one spot all day).

Something like 5-8 miles of walking a day.

Lifting and lowering 200 - 400 pkgs a day. A majority are small and light though.