Still thinking about making UPS a career

MAKAVELI

I was thinking about going to trade school and being a plumber. Since plumbers are basically always going to be in demand. Then i planned on working my way up and starting my own plumbing business.

Does this sound like a good idea? Basically skipping out on college and eventually starting my own business and being my own boss.
Learning one of the trades or something in the medical field is probably the most secure career paths you can take. As far as the pkg delivery business, UPS is the way to go for security, pay and benefits. The key in whatever you choose is to start young and dedicate your time and energy towards that goal. The dedication and sacrifices you make now will pay off immensely for your future.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Some of you may remember me lol. The 16 year old who considered making UPS a career and not going to college. Anyway's, ill be 17 in 4 months and I'm still thinking the same way. Sure i considered other options, but in the end I'm still thinking about UPS.
I don't think I'll mind the hard work, I'll get to stay in shape. I won't mind the years it'll take to work up to full time driver postions, and i can have another job while I'm doing part time. Anyways, thinking about just graduating high school, then jumping straight into working and having my own place, even if i gotta work 2 jobs for awhile. The benefits, good pay when moved up, and a workout. School just isn't my thing.
Ups is great when ur in your 20s 30s and 40s...assuming you make it that long without getting fired for making human mistakes. You will miss out on all family events as you work late most days . I too felt like you about college. I retired after 30 years with 3 hernia surgeries,herniated disk, and a new shoulder. The saying is very true...the first 10 years u run,the second ten years you walk, third ten years you crawl. Go to trade school...anything but Ups.

clean hairy

Don't be this guy. UPS is a good fallback option if the other stuff you thought you'd be happy with doesn't work out. Trade school, a college degree in health/tech/engineering, etc.

Like @Covemastah said. You're young, body probably feels good and you should avoid the year after year of daily grind if you can. Be your own boss and/or enjoy an office if the alternative work would be fulfilling for you.

20lhe0.jpg
Driving does age a person more rapidly.
The guy in this pic is only 32 and been driving 10 years.

purehavanne

Some of you may remember me lol. The 16 year old who considered making UPS a career and not going to college. Anyway's, ill be 17 in 4 months and I'm still thinking the same way. Sure i considered other options, but in the end I'm still thinking about UPS.
I don't think I'll mind the hard work, I'll get to stay in shape. I won't mind the years it'll take to work up to full time driver postions, and i can have another job while I'm doing part time. Anyways, thinking about just graduating high school, then jumping straight into working and having my own place, even if i gotta work 2 jobs for awhile. The benefits, good pay when moved up, and a workout. School just isn't my thing.

To be honest, I don't think UPS is many people's first choice. Everyone in my center seems to have just ended up at UPS for one reason or another.

Yes, top pay/benefits are great. Personal/family time? Forget about it. If you do decide to work here, save every penny, even if that means moving in with your parents for a year or 2, and start a business.

It's gonna be at least a few years before you can drive if you're 17 so take a few community college classes on basic business or accounting. Not all college classes are about the degree. Rather, you gain knowledge to open up your options in life.

JL 0513

Go to trade school. Save your knees.

Lots of trades are tough on the body too. It's why they call it work. Plumbers can spend many hours a day directly on their knees. My last job required me to spend most of the day crawling around on the floor. Enough to drive you nuts. There's a lot of jobs that are a lot more physically demanding than UPS driver while usually paying less.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Go to trade school. Save your knees.
I'm only 27 and thought it would take 10 more years for me to start getting knee pain. But nope, this last week we had -20 degree weather and I could definitely start feeling the pain in my knees. I am hoping it was just because of the cold weather, but I am starting to see just how much this job is going to wear on my body.

Edit: I will also mention my left shoulder hurts like a mother after unloading certain bulk stops where the dock is higher and I'm constantly reaches upwards.

Last edited:

Rack em

Made the Podium
Maybe in how we physically feel. But I've actually been routinely shocked by how old drivers are relative to the age they look like. An active lifestyle might do us some good in that department.
I think it depends on the person. Our top seniority driver (retiring in 3 months, yay!) is 57 but looks like he is almost 70!

haller

I'm only 27 and thought it would take 10 more years for me to start getting knee pain. But nope, this last week we had -20 degree weather and I could definitely start feeling the pain in my knees. I am hoping it was just because of the cold weather, but I am starting to see just how much this job is going to wear on my body.

Edit: I will also mention my left shoulder hurts like a mother after unloading certain bulk stops where the dock is higher and I'm constantly reaches upwards.

It's those giant steps of the package car. 5'9 and i had to literally hop up there while i was driver helping.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

If ur smart...at some point you can't take it anymore....decide what day ur unloading and call in an injury...that way you have an exact time and place the injury happened...don't share with anyone that it's been hurting...bone spurs from repetitive motion would be my guess

BrownInTx

Holy :censored2: ! I thought I was gigantic pusillanimous this whole time. My shoulders hurt from time to time. My neck and back feel like crap over the weekends. I use the methods but the repetitive motions add up. The pay is great but what good is that when one day your knees or shoulders will need to be replaced.

union4life

It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and good work ethic as well. Two rare commodities in youth today (imo).

Take advantage of your youth and health. Live way below your means now and for the next 20 years. Stay out of unnecessary debt and start saving for the future now. You will be miles ahead of the game in your 30s.

UPS offers good money and benefits (could always be better) for the type of work we do. There are trades and skills that offer more but like everything, there are trade offs to be considered.

Regardless of the road you choose, put a plan in place right now to contribute to your retirement. Even if it is only $5 week in a coffee can. Don't touch it. Keep adding to it. You will be happy you did.

Your future is what you make it.

Good luck and God bless.