Tax Time

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by derf3733, Jan 22, 2007.

1. derf3733

derf3733 Member

So exactly does everybody deduct off their taxes (UPS related)
  2. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

I deduct shoes, socks, and union dues. If you give to the United Way, deduct that too. I use Turbotax.
  3. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

Don't forget to deduct the cost of your Turbo Tax too!:)
  4. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Don`t forget the cost of laundering your clothes once a week($5),any repairs made such as sewing a button($10),pens,tolls that your not reimbursed,portion of your cellular bill showing calls to ctr while on the job whatever % of your minute pkg,etc. Think about any expense thats business related and unreimbursed.
  5. SmithBarney

SmithBarney Well-Known Member

Deduct your cell phone bill... while not a required part of working for UPS if your cell company provides a breakdown of calls(mine does and will) and if your usage is over a certain % for work you can deduct it(consult a tax guy for specifics)
  6. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

I'm gonna keep track of all that litlle stuff so my tax bill is a hundred bucks less? Not. I'm the UPS man, I wipe my butt with $100 bills!
  7. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

Ive used Turbo tax for yrs, I am not waiting on anything BUT, the residential energy credit forms, and the state tax forms, will not be available til 2/2/07. Last time I buy Turbo Tax in November. Bet I could get them at the library already, If I had time to get there. So I guess Ill just wait.
  8. ragu

ragu Member

Good point, not really worth the trouble of keeping track of receipts and bills for very little profit. Not to mention the fact that when you start making a bunch of crazy deductions like that you send up some red flags that could lead to a big world of hurt.
  9. breadbooze

breadbooze Member

Everything that is deductible still doesn't add up to be more than the standard deductions.
  10. rod

rod retired and happy

Don't forget that $100,000 church donation and $50,000 in tax deductable raffle tickets.
  11. On a related note, I read that starting in 2007 (and I took this to mean the 2007 tax year, not the taxes we are about to do once our W2s arrive) the IRS will require a receipt for EVERY charitable contribution that is deducted, no matter how small. The article I read said to get a receipt from that Salvation Army bell-ringer, or forget the deduction.

I hope a pay stub is enough to prove my United Way deductions. I always keep my final check stub of the year with my tax papers.
  12. happyboy

happyboy Member

I don't have any deductions other than the standard deduction, I use the 1040ez form. I payed about $15,000 in taxes this year, including medicare and Social security. Wow that is alot. I was lucky to make $15,000 in the hub.

Maybe i should move to Russia, I hear that they have a 10% flat tax.
  13. PassYouBy

PassYouBy Unknown Acrobat

Where can I obtain the information for for tax purposes of the total I donated to the United Way? Do I just go off of ALL the checks I received? Thank you in advance.

14. PassYouBy

PassYouBy Unknown Acrobat

Nevermind :P
  15. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

I write off my white t-shirts, socks, shoes, union dues, and under armour boxers.