Teamster Local 804 Gives Management an OJS

upsers22.3

June 1, 2010: UPS sups not following proper methods caught on tape.
New York Local 804 is giving on-car supervisors a taste of their own medicine.
Local 804 union reps tailed supervisors and videotaped them on OJS days. If UPS is really interested in “Failure to follow proper methods,” then they need to take a look at Local 804’s footage.
UPS management denies that they alter drivers’ loads on OJS days. Local 804 video shows otherwise. While filming a supervisor working an OJS, union representatives spotted a second driver on the same route.
He had been given all of the bulk stops. Local 804 got footage of the bulk deliveries and fully-loaded hand truck along with the tracking numbers for all the packages.
“When management tries to tell us they don’t manufacture the loads on OJS days to spike member’s SPORH, I tell them I’ve got some video they need to see,” said Local 804 President Tim S.
Local 804 video teams have also captured managers violating UPS safety methods on using hand rails, three points of contact etc. on the same rides that they write up drivers for safety violations.
No local can tail UPS on every OJS ride. To help driver’s combat production harassment, Local 804 has produced a Daily Log Book for keeping daily records.
The log book includes an OJS checklist to document how management adjusted loads, made changes to the route, and other steps to inflate a driver’s SPORH.
“We’re arming members with the tools they need to document their day and protect themselves from unfair discipline,” said business agent Sam Cuevas.
“A fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay is what it’s all about,” Cuevas said

tieguy

Banned
June 1, 2010: UPS sups not following proper methods caught on tape.
New York Local 804 is giving on-car supervisors a taste of their own medicine.
Local 804 union reps tailed supervisors and videotaped them on OJS days. If UPS is really interested in “Failure to follow proper methods,” then they need to take a look at Local 804’s footage.
UPS management denies that they alter drivers’ loads on OJS days. Local 804 video shows otherwise. While filming a supervisor working an OJS, union representatives spotted a second driver on the same route.
He had been given all of the bulk stops. Local 804 got footage of the bulk deliveries and fully-loaded hand truck along with the tracking numbers for all the packages.
“When management tries to tell us they don’t manufacture the loads on OJS days to spike member’s SPORH, I tell them I’ve got some video they need to see,” said Local 804 President Tim S.
Local 804 video teams have also captured managers violating UPS safety methods on using hand rails, three points of contact etc. on the same rides that they write up drivers for safety violations.
No local can tail UPS on every OJS ride. To help driver’s combat production harassment, Local 804 has produced a Daily Log Book for keeping daily records.
The log book includes an OJS checklist to document how management adjusted loads, made changes to the route, and other steps to inflate a driver’s SPORH.
“We’re arming members with the tools they need to document their day and protect themselves from unfair discipline,” said business agent Sam Cuevas.
“A fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay is what it’s all about,” Cuevas said

The supervisor should have called the police and told them he was being followed. :happy-very:

whiskey

Trying to make service? After having sent 4 guys home before the start of the work day? Not. It's called saving my butt through numbers with the aid of a weak teamster official. It's just a statement of where we are today. We can do better. Hope and Change.

CRASH501

Call the cops ? what is that going to accomplish ? the person video taping is 1 probably un noticed and 2 out in public where this type of thing happens every day , they say you cant walk in N.Y.C. without being caught on some type of survelance tapes . I personally have been recently following U.P.S. trucks and video taping drivers for an upcoming case , there are no laws against this .

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The supervisor should have called the police and told them he was being followed. :happy-very:

Correct me if I'm wrong ,but why would you advise them(sups) to call the cops.

Call the cops ? what is that going to accomplish ? the person video taping is 1 probably un noticed and 2 out in public where this type of thing happens every day , they say you cant walk in N.Y.C. without being caught on some type of survelance tapes . I personally have been recently following U.P.S. trucks and video taping drivers for an upcoming case , there are no laws against this .

There are periodic posts on here about drivers calling the police when they spot their supe/center manager/LP following them during on-area observations.
It was a tongue-in-cheek post by tie.

local804

All of the comments are very cute but it gets away from the reality of cheating on OJS rides. UPS wants to hold us accountable to numbers but then they fudge some of the rides? Whats fair is fair and this isnt. People have been complaining about this for a while and nothing ever got fixed. Hopefully now it will.

tieguy

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong ,but why would you advise them(sups) to call the cops.

whenever a driver complains about being followed by sups someone always suggests the driver calls the cops. quid pro quo? what you sow you reap? what you reap you sow? Do onto others as....? whats good for the goose?........:happy2:

tieguy

Banned
All of the comments are very cute but it gets away from the reality of cheating on OJS rides. UPS wants to hold us accountable to numbers but then they fudge some of the rides? Whats fair is fair and this isnt. People have been complaining about this for a while and nothing ever got fixed. Hopefully now it will.

I think your video is a nice thought but it does not prove anything. Another car in the area can be explained away as extra work. A statement from a preloader that specific work was pulledg off the route before the ride would seem to carry more wieght. A supervisor should be able to demonstrate methods and it might be cute to prevent video showing bad methods by a sup but ultimately this cases come down to working as instructed. In that context its did the driver do what the supervisor told him to do. How did the driver do under direct supervison , how did he do when alone.

I do like the creativity you guys in the north east show. Between planes flying banners and business agents taping supervisors it sounds like you guys have a regular three ring circus running up there. :happy2:

UPSSOCKS

Local 804 is a weak an pathetic local.... Everyone near them knows that.... The video tape is not that telling and no one cares that they have it. OJS rides will not change and neither will discipline... As for 804 gigging management on methods... Who cares, it's not your job to observe them. It is however, there job to observe you and I hope they make things very very difficult on the members of 804.

trueunion

I commend Local 804 for utilizing all available technology to aid in arguing the unreasonable expectations that UPS has regarding its drivers and other employees. How can they expect the employees to be 100% compliant with all their ever changing methods when thier management team can't comply. Just for clarity, my reps at Local 177 has been OJSing management for many years now and also incorporate video and cameras to prove their points. They also have been providing us with a post-OJS form to accurately report any changes to the route, help from supervisors, or anything else that could affect the outcome of a OJS. Kudos to Local 804, Local 177, and all the Locals who fight to keep UPS in compliance of the Contract.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Good job 804! I have never thought about filming sups doing performance rides, but its something that is not pushed here very hard yet. But when the time comes we too will have our cameras handy. I have taken pictues and even video os sups working and safety vioalations and even followed sups when they went out on the street working, but I look forward to videoing these rides also in the near future.

Sounds to me like the new guys are doing pretty good there in New york!

local804

Lol. Thanks tie for the early evening chuckle. I recently seen a suit make a lame duck excuse for stealing a ipod, so I knew you could come up with a good one. I personally have your suits demonstrate how to do the job, then its mine to follow. The do as I say not as I dotheory dores not work well in this instance. The ojs tampering is a little more than your little theory.It is what it is.

CRASH501

Lol. Thanks tie for the early evening chuckle. I recently seen a suit make a lame duck excuse for stealing a ipod, so I knew you could come up with a good one. I personally have your suits demonstrate how to do the job, then its mine to follow. The do as I say not as I dotheory dores not work well in this instance. The ojs tampering is a little more than your little theory.It is what it is.
I had my OJS thrown out 6 years ago because the load was custom tailored .... i came in early on days 2 & 3 of the ride to watch the work move , took notes amnd upon review of the ride brought out those notes ! so it was stated by my center manager that the 11.1 sporh would only act as a guidline until they could re-OJS me , that never happened ! My oncar blew out his knee on his own time so my former center manager who was demoted to oncar rode me for the 3rd day , after lunch he started the whole well you tend to move slower after lunch so step up the pace . When i told him if he was in a rush he could finish the route he got real quiet I even offered to buy him a pair of rollerblades at modells so he could deliver faster as he was convinced he could run the route faster.......same oncar tells me not to get off the highway and drive local down bruckner blvd after i explain this was quicker he instructed me to stay on the highway to the next exit........LMAO drive 1/4 mile over the hunts point drawbridge and around the turn amazing complete stop bumper to bumper 30 minutes of trafic ....I lit a cigar and smiled . Gee I wonder what ever happened to Dvorak last I heard he was on preload or assisting with pas set-ups......BTW went to a ball game with same guy NIGHT AND DAY offthe job he was a human being.