Teamsters election may hold cards for upcoming UPS contract talks

DriverNerd

That would make me and a couple of other PTers the highest paid Union members in the building. There has to be a ceiling on wages at some point.
I don't have a problem with part timers with 30 years in making more than me as long as they are still only guaranteed 3.5 and I'm guaranteed 8. My wife has 17 years PT and barely makes more than new hires.

I don't think it's right that a 4 year employee can make the same as a 30 year employee (FT), but that's a different discussion.

PT Car Washer

I don't have a problem with part timers with 30 years in making more than me as long as they are still only guaranteed 3.5 and I'm guaranteed 8. My wife has 17 years PT and barely makes more than new hires.

I don't think it's right that a 4 year employee can make the same as a 30 year employee (FT), but that's a different discussion.
When I started I made the same hourly wage after 90 days as a 30 year PTer. Or some cases a 30 year FTer.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
The thing that concerns me is that OZ really won't be able to deliver on their promises. UPS Teamsters see his list of demands and drool, but it's impossible to get all of them, and I'm not really sure he'll get UPS to concede any of them.

He can't just wish 22.4s away. No idea how he's going to make UPS start PTers at $20/hr AND get catch-up raises for existing PTers. I like his ideas on PVDs and subcontracting, but he's selling these ideas as forgone accomplishments, like he's going to do all of this whether UPS likes it or not, and it just doesn't work that way.
There is definitely a mess to clean up.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Yeah you’re right it was a lot better when it was 6 months

542thruNthru

Yeah, those that were hired off the street. They don't get much vacation, but at four years they're full scale and this was before 22.4.

*My response to the previous should have said 4 year FT, not just 4 year employee. I wasn't clear.
So you were upset that you made as much as a 30 year driver in 4 years or less when you went FT driving?

nWo

I just want to make at least $10 more than they guy next to me. I rather make $25 with him making $15 than both of us making $30.

DriverNerd

So you were upset that you made as much as a 30 year driver in 4 years or less when you went FT driving?
I started at scale when I started driving but I didn't think it was fair to be paid the same as someone who had been there for most of their life. Now I'm not saying that someone should be making an unlivable wage (like they start 22.4's at now - which is lower than the PT starting wage in some hubs), but years should count for something...they do for part time.

I also understand that it would be impossible to come up with something that worked for everyone so I think it's best we get paid the same rather than some being screwed over...if that was the other alternative. Yes, I know that it's an unpopular opinion. Most disagree with me.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I started at scale when I started driving but I didn't think it was fair to be paid the same as someone who had been there for most of their life. Now I'm not saying that someone should be making an unlivable wage (like they start 22.4's at now - which is lower than the PT starting wage in some hubs), but years should count for something...they do for part time.

I also understand that it would be impossible to come up with something that worked for everyone so I think it's best we get paid the same rather than some being screwed over...if that was the other alternative. Yes, I know that it's an unpopular opinion. Most disagree with me.
It’s contractual so if you have a beef take it up with the union. Scale pay rate is part of the deal. All unions have it.

DriverNerd

It’s contractual so if you have a beef take it up with the union. Scale pay rate is part of the deal. All unions have it.
I said I didn't think it was fair, but at the end of the day if we're all making a really good wage there's no reason to fight it. We have way more important things to worry about.