Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

hp405hp

Ups is going to incorporate the wiring with the virtual time studies.

If you don't use their methods then you won't get the proper allowance which = buy buy bonus = Ups saves millions. Its not about being safe its all about the money.

SAFETY LAST

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

Lets play devils advocate for a minute. And lets say you are referring to yourself as the driver that is collecting a ton of bonus.

First, lemme let you in on a clue. Most centers are not on bonus. They voted it out. I see more issues when it comes to drivers getting fired in bonus centers than in non bonus centers. Just my observation.

Now, you are out there not working safe, not following the methods. And you make say an hour a day extra. What makes you think that it would be any different if you did not cut corners for your convenience and did things by the methods. It has been my observation that the majority of the drivers that do not use the methods are not because it takes more time, but more effort.

Lemme splain that to you so you can grasp it.

The reason most drivers do not use proper methods like seat belts, removing keys from the truck, shutting doors while moving etc is that they are too lazy to do so. Yes, they work hard, and we can appreciate that. But the little extra effort that it takes to do the job correctly instead of half assing it, they dont want to expend.

I had someone work at my shop while I was out in delivery. Used a chain saw, so he got it out from under the shelf in the garage. When he got done, he walked back into the garage and laid it down in front of the shelf. Not under where it had been, but in front now blocking access to the shelf and its contents.

All he would have had to do to place it where it had been would have been to slide it under the shelf, less than a foot away.

That little bit extra effort to do the job right would not have cost any extra time now would it? But yet the guy was too lazy to finish the job correctly.

Now, just like UPS, I was paying him to do the job correctly. And in accepting the paycheck, you agree to work as instructed.

So why then do you find it so hard to work as instructed? Oh yeah, its your greed. You think you will lose an extra three cents today by not wearing your seat belt. Or maybe a quarter because you didn't shut the bulkhead each time.

d

hp405hp

Its not about safety, its about UPS making more money. First I don't make alot of bonus (2-3 hours a week avg.) Our center still has most guys making bonus. The last 5 years I have notice that the raises we get each year can't keep up with how make UPS cuts on what our route is worth. Example: 10 years ago 100-110 stops 300 pkgs = 8 hrs: Now 140-150 stops 450 pkgs= 8 hrs. UPS is taking money out of our pockets! The new time study will prove it.

SAFETY LAST

helenofcalifornia

Greed??!!?? Give me a break Danny. How long have you been retired? I would guess that since you have been retired, things at UPS have changed not just a little, but a lot. Not the actual delivering of packages, but the standards and allowances we are held to. It hurts my shoulder every time I close the bulkhead door. Not a lot, but it hurts none the less. Greed has nothing to do with my choosing to leave the bulkhead door open when there are just a few rezzies left.

Fire back at me but don't call the majority of us greedy. I am not looking to make money when I choose to not shut the door, I am trying to save my shoulder for MY retirement.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The p32s I currently drive are junk. We've had horn buttons moved from the steering wheel to someplace on the dash, many have the black tape over the check engine light repair, leaking windshields , wipers that work sometimes, etc.
Now you are telling me that they are spending moneys to monitor the cars, yet provide no funds to actually fix them.

You still have p32's? Man those are old! We've already got rid of all of ours, and our p47's, not to mention we've crushed a few 700's. Interestingly enough, we still have a few 500's and 800's. And old power steering p1000. Can't wait till they're gone.

helenofcalifornia

Danny, I haven't laughed that much in a long time!! Me, a bonus driver? Not w/this new knee. Our center here voted that down about 20 years ago. 3-pt. sealbelt-all the time. Bulkhead doors-most of the time. I wish UPS had a foot pedal to open the door, but I know that's just wishful thinking.

The bulkhead doors in the new trucks are harder to open and always seem to get off their track. Anyone else have these problems w/the new trucks?

backinbrown

respect my authority
Danny, I haven't laughed that much in a long time!! Me, a bonus driver? Not w/this new knee. Our center here voted that down about 20 years ago. 3-pt. sealbelt-all the time. Bulkhead doors-most of the time. I wish UPS had a foot pedal to open the door, but I know that's just wishful thinking.

The bulkhead doors in the new trucks are harder to open and always seem to get off their track. Anyone else have these problems w/the new trucks?

Foot pedal to open door awesome idea

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Then helen, the greed does not apply to you in your case. I was pointing out to the driver that all he is interested in is pulling down his bonus, and following methods will somehow stop him from earning it.

But I am glad I hit your funnybone!:happy-very:

d

ol'browneye

We just had a week of below zero weather. I dressed for it and was comfortable all day. Shut the car off at every stop and for in town deliveries, left the side door open.

We work primarily outdoors, having the clothes for it is part of the job.

TB

What a stud!:2cold:

All the clothes in the world won't keep that windshield from freezing up in the freezing rain and snow while you're making a delivery!:snow::rain:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I have a better idea. What about an auto door. It opens automatically for you.

Only time it closes is when the key leaves the cab or is in the ignition.

Should not be that hard to retrofit. And with all the new sensors.........

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

d

It'll feel like we are on the S.S. Enterprise

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Pst, 15

Great minds think alike:peaceful:

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Heffe

It'll feel like we are on the S.S. Enterprise

Funny you mention that. 9.5 is sending me mental messages about an over ride for when the driver needs to spend some quality time in the back of the car.

Something about a vixen.........

d