Terminated before making union

Whither

Scofflaw
Well, we can only go by your words. Which included being told to pick up the pace, getting coffee on company time, and not wanting to go all out for a low paying job.

Understand we all had to qualify. Running was the only way. Some would come in an hour before start time to set up their truck off the clock. All of us looked for ways to shave a couple of seconds off every stop.

That is the attitude it takes to make it as a UPS driver. I had 5 friends try to make it at UPS, none could hack it. Two became drivers for FedEx and a different firm.

It is a different company than others. Only the most dedicated make it.

Just showing up on time and kind of trying is not good enough. Every second counts. A half an hour late is not going to cut it.

Sorry that's the way it is. No one is cut slack. Try 70 hours at below zero temps and icy roads in a snowstorm with no navigation on a route you have never done. You have not scratched the surface of difficult days.

Even when qualifying I didn't run. My sup warned me a few times I'd be DQ'd if he caught me running. He was in the jump seat for my 5th consecutive scratch. Now I tell the rookies to use their walks to look at the board, form a plan for the next several stops, that rushing gets them in wrong mindset, more likely to make silly mistakes, get in an accident or get injured. The job is about staying organized and developing safe, efficient habits ... haste makes waste. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Re-Raise

I sure as hell wasnt making 6 figures. Heck, I wasn’t even making 50k.
After a 4yr progression, drivers make over $100k working about an hour of overtime a day.

I’ve also hit 8 weeks of paid vacation, get great insurance for free for my entire family and the company contributes over $500 a week into my pension for when I retire.

Didn’t you know that you would get these things if you stayed around??

Didnt you ever talk to any senior drivers while drinking your coffee??

You must not have researched the job much before applying here

You are a true visionary
The driver I was helping who worked there for almost 5 years wasn’t even making 6 figures yet. You guys talk about truck drivers making 6 figures like you get it right off that bat and that I should’ve been running with packages. I gotta put my body at risk to wait what 10years to make 6figs?

After a 4yr progression, drivers make over $100k working about an hour of overtime a day.

I’ve also hit 8 weeks of paid vacation, get great insurance for free for my entire family and the company contributes over $500 a week into my pension for when I retire.

Didn’t you know that you would get these things if you stayed around??

Didnt you ever talk to any senior drivers while drinking your coffee??

You must not have researched the job much before applying here
I’ve spoken to the drivers that I’ve helped who have been there for almost 5 years and none were making this 100k you guys were talking about. And the coffee thing happened once. Obviously I would’ve stopped getting coffee after being told once.

Re-Raise

I’ve spoken to the drivers that I’ve helped who have been there for almost 5 years and none were making this 100k you guys were talking about. And the coffee thing happened once. Obviously I would’ve stopped getting coffee after being told once.
If they finished their own routes...instead of having you come “help” them, they would probably make more.

What do you think top rate per hour would be in 4 yrs..if you still worked here?

watdaflock?

Well kudos to you. Maybe if they were paying me 6 figures to do this I’d try harder and run with the packages. But for barely above minimum wage..why would I put my body at risk. If they wanted me to throw packages like FedEx to get it done they could’ve said so.
Let us know what ya end up doing, since ya didn't make it with UPS. Good luck.

Pseudonym

Well kudos to you. Maybe if they were paying me 6 figures to do this I’d try harder and run with the packages. But for barely above minimum wage..why would I put my body at risk. If they wanted me to throw packages like FedEx to get it done they could’ve said so.

im qualifying and starting wage is $21 an hour I thought that was damn reasonable. Whats minimum/whatre they paying where youre at?

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
OddMadeupAnemonecrab-small.gif

PT Car Washer

im qualifying and starting wage is $21 an hour I thought that was damn reasonable. Whats minimum/whatre they paying where youre at?
We have PT guys making $30 to $37/hr sorting or bagging smalls and OT after 5 hours. PT air drivers making top delivery driver rate after 30 days whenever they pick up or deliver ground packages. Of course some guys will tell you about the pension and earning $100k/yr after 30 years. If you make it that long.

Pseudonym

We have PT guys making $30 to $37/hr sorting or bagging smalls and OT after 5 hours. PT air drivers making top delivery driver rate after 30 days whenever they pick up or deliver ground packages. Of course some guys will tell you about the pension and earning $100k/yr after 30 years. If you make it that long.

From my perspective making almost $40 an hour after 4 years for a job that requires no relevant experience or education to get into seems pretty legit.

Of course it kinda sucks for the first few years knowing mostly everyone else is massively out-earning you, but whatever you cant expect to walk into the same wage as people who've done their time right?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
From my perspective making almost $40 an hour after 4 years for a job that requires no relevant experience or education to get into seems pretty legit.

Of course it kinda sucks for the first few years knowing mostly everyone else is massively out-earning you, but whatever you cant expect to walk into the same wage as people who've done their time right?

Try having to wait 7 years to go driving. They wasted my prime years letting me rot on local sort, then they expect me to deliver like I'm still in my twenties?

giphy (17).gif

churn n’ burn

Where do you live that you make right above minimum wage as a driver?? My first year I made an easy 50k, I even went home a couple times a week when it was slow. Top rate is easy 90-100k if you want it, plus benefits, sick time & vacation. Some guys make a lot more than that.

clean hairy

This is no different than making a sports team.
You have to show you are worth the big bux before you make the big bux.
All of us started at bottom rate, but showed we were worth the top rate by giving all it took to get there.
If you are not willing to do the same, there is no room for you.