Terminations in 804 begin: 20 drivers fired Monday

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Do scabs or TCDs pay dues? These guys will. By virtue of that fact, they will now be part of the union. These guys are now going to be needed to help keep 804 strong, they aren't going anywhere. Talk about dividing the union. ...
Agreed ... can't fix stupid.

Irishman Collins

You want a strike so FDX gets more of our volume?
I am so tired of hearing about Fed Ex getting our volume. We are recording record profits and if that's because FedEx is taking our volume, then have at it FedEx. That is such a stupid management trick. FedEx takes our volume and then quickly loses it due to their multiple failures in taking care of their customers. In addition, U.P.S. and FedEx are in bed together. They need each other, without each other they would be considered a monopoly. So, please spare me the FedEx is taking our volume crap!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

10 point

It's not 1964 anymore. The landscape of America has dramatically changed.
We will find out tomorrow at the city meeting.
I hope the city comes up with a legal way to impose the full parking fine amount against the company if they don't back off the terminations.

Maybe if we see the city's yearly shipping contract go to a competitor (@ $43,000,000.00) or used as leverage to that end we'll see what a $59 million dollar loss will precipitate.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I hope the city comes up with a legal way to impose the full parking fine amount against the company if they don't back off the terminations.

Maybe if we see the city's yearly shipping contract go to a competitor (@ $43,000,000.00) or used as leverage to that end we'll see what a $59 million dollar loss will precipitate.
Interesting how all the people who sell stuff shipped via UPS reacts when they don't get their packages anymore. Maybe there will be no need to replace 250 drivers.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
What bothers me is the silence from IBT. They should either support or condemn the local's actions instead of just sitting on the sideline as if they are afraid to take a stand.

This is now a national story: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/0...rivers-in-new-york-over-walk-out-report-says/

Hoffa or Hall need to be in front of a camera ASAP, even if all they do is blow a lot of hot air. Even if 804 is a "TDU" local, they're still Teamsters and the reasons they went on strike affect everyone working at UPS across the country.

10 point

By the way...
My question is: How did one BA get 250 drivers to walk away from the building?

1. They were all fed up with the harassment and agreed it had to stop even if it took drastic measures?

2. They identifies with the pain the original fired driver was going thru for unjust actions by UPS management?

3. This BA had a tremendous amount of credibility because of his track record standing up for employees?

4. ALL OF THE ABOVE.

browned out

The 20 discharged drivers and all of the other 230 or so drivers should seek legal representation from labor lawyers. These drivers can not rely solely on the union or the union legal advise.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The 20 discharged drivers and all of the other 230 or so drivers should seek legal representation from labor lawyers. These drivers can not rely solely on the union or the union legal advise.

A labor lawyer won't touch a case until a client has exhausted the grievance process available to him or her through their CBA.

I'm curious to see if the 20 discharged drivers are simply off the job pending panel or if the company is refusing to even take their cases to the panel.

I am so tired of hearing about Fed Ex getting our volume. We are recording record profits and if that's because FedEx is taking our volume, then have at it FedEx. That is such a stupid management trick. FedEx takes our volume and then quickly loses it due to their multiple failures in taking care of their customers. In addition, U.P.S. and FedEx are in bed together. They need each other, without each other they would be considered a monopoly. So, please spare me the FedEx is taking our volume crap!!

Sent using BrownCafe App
If you go back and reread the post and who it is quoted to you will see that it was directed at a fed ex ground driver. It wasent directed at yiu in the least. I was implying that the fedex guy was trying to stir it up in order to grab volume.

That's a great idea.

New Union guys are you freaking kidding me! Here is the truth, if there is blame in this scenario it belongs to the officials of 804. The members were simply putting faith in their leaders. If 804 made a mistake, then so be it, but our brothers and sisters who simply were showing solidarity shouldn't suffer the consequences of losing their jobs. As far as any new guy, well they can go friend... Themselves. They are scabs in my opinion, plain and simple!

Sent using BrownCafe App
So some part timer with a family who's waited 12 years for a crack at a full time job is a scab? Did it ever cross your mind that ups probably needs to hire fourty drivers there anyway. When these guys all get their job back they will now finally be adequately staffed. It's a brilliant ploy by ups and you missed it. Now you are setting the stage for members on this forum to start calling union brother scabs and divide teamsters. Think before you post.