Thanks Andy M, you pulled it off!

twoweeled

Running the IBT isn't cheap.

Prior to the "Blue Ribbon Commission" approving the increase, the IBT was still

functioning on a formula that had existed from the 50's and 60's ??

It wasn't financially viable, to continue that way.

-Bug-

You obviously keep up on this a lot more than I do, I admit. But if that formula from the 50 and 60's was based on a percentage of our wages - then it should have been financially viable, had the IBT kept our raises level with the rate of inflation. If the IBT was unable to sustain itself on the same percentage of our wages, then it's obvious the IBT wasn't negotiating very good raises. All this is assuming, the formula you speak of, is based receiving a percentage of our wages?
I think if we think back to the 60's and 70's, we were getting unbelievable raises (compared to what we get now). That would explain why the IBT was fine then, and not now. We the hourly were fine then, and not so fine now either.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You obviously keep up on this a lot more than I do, I admit. But if that formula from the 50 and 60's was based on a percentage of our wages - then it should have been financially viable, had the IBT kept our raises level with the rate of inflation. If the IBT was unable to sustain itself on the same percentage of our wages, then it's obvious the IBT wasn't negotiating very good raises. All this is assuming, the formula you speak of, is based receiving a percentage of our wages?
I think if we think back to the 60's and 70's, we were getting unbelievable raises (compared to what we get now). That would explain why the IBT was fine then, and not now. We the hourly were fine then, and not so fine now either.
With what ups is making now what do you think should be our yearly raise amount?? Anyone??

twoweeled

I've harped on this before.... But said:
even bother[/I] to go to their Locals "contract proposal" meeting ??

(And people wonder why, some elected officials get jaded)

The IBT solicit's the members opinion for a reason.

For the most part, that's what they take to the table during negotiations.

-Bug-

I completely agree that few people attend the local meetings. But during the last contract negotiations, what I heard over and over from others - was I'm not concerned with a big raise. Not concerned with a raise and all. All I want, is to just keep everything else the same. No give backs or changes in benefits.
The opinions may be what they go to the table with, but it doesn't appear much attention is paid to the opinions. Seems the opinion survey is nothing more than show.

twoweeled

I just don't understand the mentality of "UPS is making record profits" and we

deserve a bigger slice of the pie. Don't you want them to be profitable ?

What would be an acceptable % ?

As an aside;

The "rallying cry" in freight (YRC, not UPS freight) was

"Shut them down.... I was looking for a job when I came here".

Just say'n.

-Bug-
No doubt about it. We do deserve a larger slice of the pie.
Yes, the company does have to remain profitable.

What % is acceptable? I don't know. We as employees don't look at the books. Isn't that what we pay the IBT to do? To determine the maximum good for the employee, while leaving the company in a good shape? that is their job, not ours as employees. I hear that one coming from the Union every so often. Hold no water. Being that our wages have barely kept with inflation (if that) and the company has grown too strong to fight now. I think someone screwed up in their responsibilities.

Faceplanted

We should get a raise close to the rate of inflation. 1.5-2%

We used to get 1.00 a year when we were topped at 23.00hr

Now we're topped out at 35.00hr and get .80 split. I would think 1.50 yearly would be fair and the union should have an option weather or not they would like to shore up our health care and take .80 cents or take the whole 1.50. Instead we get 80 cents and our health care gets more expensive. Corporate greed!!!

Ups still pulls record profits.

twoweeled

With what ups is making now what do you think should be our yearly raise amount?? Anyone??
Personally I don't know. I only consider the amount above inflation a real raise. But even the inflation numbers have been played with so much by politicians, getting to the true rate of inflation is another story. Short story. I don't know. Thank god we pay the IBT to go over all those numbers, and pay others to go over all those numbers.

twoweeled

Now we're topped out at 35.00hr and get .80 split. I would think 1.50 yearly would be fair and the union should have an option weather or not they would like to shore up our health care and take .80 cents or take the whole 1.50. Instead we get 80 cents and our health care gets more expensive. Corporate greed!!!

You said it! They've been giving and taking for the longest time. in the past, we'd get a raise, but the SPORH would go up! Or as you say; we get .80 here and our healthcare changes! We're paying for our own raise.
Then the issue of inflation. It's true the latest inflation numbers are between 1% - 3%. over maybe 5-7 years. But those inflation numbers don't include obvious necessities like GAS! As far as corporate greed, it's true, but I understand it. UPS's job is to screw us as hard as they can. And the do that job well! The IBT's job is to protect us and screw the company over as hard as the IBT can.
Does anyone here really feel that's being done?
The last contracts felt like the company and the IBT had teamed up against us. That's what I felt. How about you?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You obviously keep up on this a lot more than I do, I admit. But if that formula from the 50 and 60's was based on a percentage of our wages - then it should have been financially viable, had the IBT kept our raises level with the rate of inflation.

You do realize.... we're not just talking UPS members ??

Some (UPS) people get "tunnel vision" when discussing this.

If the IBT was unable to sustain itself on the same percentage of our wages, then it's obvious the IBT wasn't negotiating very good raises.

Not every Teamster, makes what UPS employee's do.

I completely agree that few people attend the local meetings.

Don't you think, that might have some bearing ??

What % is acceptable? I don't know. We as employees don't look at the books. Isn't that what we pay the IBT to do?

And, you question the veracity (or the intent) of the IBT.... to negotiate a contract ??

Wow.

-Bug-

twoweeled

You do realize.... we're not just talking UPS members ??

Some (UPS) people get "tunnel vision" when discussing this.

Not every Teamster, makes what UPS employee's do.

Don't you think, that might have some bearing ??

And, you question the veracity (or the intent) of the IBT.... to negotiate a contract ??

Wow.

-Bug-
I understand it isn't just UPS emplyees, but the percentage argument still remains. Same percentage which includes a percentage of raises negotiated by the IBT.

I don't believe because more people don't show up at meetings, that is why we're getting sub par contracts. It shouldn't matter. They are still getting paid to negotiate the best contracts for it's members, and I don't think they'be done that. Attendance to the local meeting should not be an excuse for negotiating a poor contract.

I don't know how to do the multiple reply thing like you do. DAMN!!

Faceplanted

Inflation does not take in account gas, on top of that the housing market has been back in the rise 5-10% depending where you live. So when a 3% raise can arguably be not enough.

This is an issue that nobody talks about union wise. We just keep giving back and giving back.

The un educated union brothers say "we already get paid a lot" well good, we should get more as industry leaders and other companies should follow.

If ups has rough times, we would have no problem with give backs, but they don't have hard times.

I really feel for our younger brothers, they have 4 year wait to top out, and add to that a wait for full time. Owning a Housing will be damn year impossible for them In a decent neighborhood before they are 40

Faceplanted

Think, all you want.

Dream.... all you want.

What are the members excuse, for not attending their Local Union meeting ?

-Bug-
Many drivers literally have no free time. I barely have time to trim my bushes and do little thing around the house. I already had to give up mowing the yard thanks to the long hours. I pay now for mowing. I don't get to see my family enough or enjoy my hobies.

We pay the union dues to bargain for us, and with ups making good profits I don't think it's too much to just ask for the SAME we had previous contract. Not more, not less, the same. Yet every contract the raises get smaller and smaller percentage wise, progression takes longer and the health care gets worse,

I pay the teamsters enough to bargain for me, but they are too busy posting stupid one side vs the other on here and Facebook instead of figuring out how to stop the give backs. I don't understand how us giving up what little time we have should be necessary.

Faceplanted

Wasn't that explained ?

And, you can afford.... to have someone cut your grass.
can makes it sound like some sort of luxury.

I NEED to pay somebody. I take pride in my stuff, and like it looking presentable. If I had the time I would do it my self. I used to do it my self for years when we used to get out at a normal time 6-7pm.

Faceplanted

What has changed ??

The 9.5 list....

Is there, for a reason.

Don't be wuss.
what has changed??? Don't take this as an insult at all but are you that out of touch?

Ups needs to prove Orion works to share holders... How do they do this you ask. Increase stops per car, cut routes, have us all out later. And guess what? This shows less miles and makes it appear Orion works

Also, the bean counters have calculated it's more cost effective to have 60 drivers all out till 8-9pm than 70 to 6-7pm.

This has all happened since iv been driving.

And trust me I'm on the list and I file all the time. This magical list gets me harassed, and doesn't change anything. Ups pays

Years ago the 9.5 list worked. I would say I need help, I would get help and that would be that. Now they can no longer pm dispatch and send me help (even though I might have a 10hr planned day) because it messes up their stupid Orion numbers.

Many things have changed my fiend. Many.

Thanks for the responses though it does appear you care and want to help these situation.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It should be proportional or better, percentage-wise, to the previous contract's raises when UPS continually posts new record profits.

Instead, we went from $4/hr over the duration of the previous contract to $3.90 for the present contract.
For it to have been proportional, we would have had to have a $4.40 raise negotiated on our behalf.

Also, taking into consideration the new 4 year progression, the now capped healthcare costs with TeamCare in that agreement, and the flimsy Surepost language to name some of the other give backs; you have what I deem to be a concessionary contract with a company who continues to become more and more profitable, while it's ground level employees are not reaping their fair share.

The day ups doesn't make record profits is the day I'm scared of.