The Concept of a Pension Should be Offensive to People

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
From talking to many retirees that seems to be the case lol. Most all of us have dreams even years after. I've been gone for a couple of years myself. It IS awesome to wake up and tell yourself you don't have to put up with that anymore.
In the last dream I returned to the bldg. and realized 30 stops were still under the shelves.

Over70irregs

I honestly don’t think it’s fundamentally the job that wears your body down…it’s the stupid :censored2:ing pace that this BS company wants you to move on a daily basis.
Drop anchor and let the metal tear the pavement. Reasonable pace is expected. Shortcuts, running, no handrail exits are injury easter eggs.

Thebrownblob

And you can't escape it even in the daylight hours.
Try and not think about what you did when you see one of those trucks. Can't do it.
You’re not wrong sometimes when we’re watching movies and there’s a UPS truck driving in the background, I point to the TV and yell out “there’s a UPS truck”. 😂 can’t even enjoy a good movie.

tourists24

Please enlightening us with numbers. How much 401k plus savings would one need to accumulate to pay $5k a month? Include savings because you cannot access that money until 59 years old. Most retired after 55.
I would love to see some calculations also. My knee jerk reaction was immediately that this was a ridiculous idea. After thinking about it and running my own numbers from my pension I am starting to wonder if this could've been better. I make 3400ish/month with my pension and doing the math will have drawn appx 1.02m by the time I'm 80 (assuming I live that long). I got a late start on my 401k but if I had started from day 1 with matching contributions from UPS, it would allegedly be much much more. Of course it's very hard to pinpoint 401k numbers over time but I think it could be much better based on what I have now. I dunno, I just started thinking about it lol

tourists24

In the last dream I returned to the bldg. and realized 30 stops were still under the shelves.
I usually have two recurring ones. First one I have a bricked out package car leaving the building. Struggle crazy hard to empty it a little only to come back after a huge bulk stop and it's bricked out again. The second one is reporting to work only to be pulled off my bid and put on a bricked out route that I've never run before and dancing the dance with management

oldngray

nowhere special
I usually have two recurring ones. First one I have a bricked out package car leaving the building. Struggle crazy hard to empty it a little only to come back after a huge bulk stop and it's bricked out again. The second one is reporting to work only to be pulled off my bid and put on a bricked out route that I've never run before and dancing the dance with management
When you finally stop having those dreams is when you really know you retired.

ThePackageDeli

Please enlightening us with numbers. How much 401k plus savings would one need to accumulate to pay $5k a month? Include savings because you cannot access that money until 59 years old. Most retired after 55.
Right now in 2024, if you are 35 years old or younger, All you have to do is contribute $23,000 per year for 3 years. Only 3 years. And you will have $1 million in your 401k by age 65 as long as you make sure your investment is going into the s&p 500 fund and not the garbage target date funds that your 401k defaults to. It is utterly simple.

rod

Retired 22 years
We need a massive mentality shift in this company regarding the pension. The pension is the biggest bait-and-switch you can imagine. We should have been pushing for a strong 401(k) match YEARS ago. Instead, the ignorant working majority in this company for generations have decided they would rather work until they're 65 in order to collect some measly corporate welfare check, rather than take proactive charge of their financial life and invest heavily in their 30's. Thanks to our culture of financial irresponsibility at UPS, workers are left having to contribute the full amount of $23,000 to their 401k's in 2024.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Who invests heavily in their 30's with young kids, house and car payments? It just don't happen for most.

Thebrownblob

Exactly I'm all for a 401K match but 90% of the people we work with would not put a dime in it.
That is correct and unfortunately for people with the mindset that a 401(k) would be better for everyone, it just isn’t a fact. For a large portion it would be working well into their 60s possibly 70s most likely no health insurance after retirement, until they qualified for government healthcare.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Right now in 2024, if you are 35 years old or younger, All you have to do is contribute $23,000 per year for 3 years. Only 3 years. And you will have $1 million in your 401k by age 65 as long as you make sure your investment is going into the s&p 500 fund and not the garbage target date funds that your 401k defaults to. It is utterly simple.
Why not do both????? Have a pension AND 401K.