The Holiday Fail

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Probably. Bronczek's letter read more like a cheer-leading piece, totally ignoring the obvious. I guess being a huge liar is an asset when you're up on top.
He does love to tap-dance around obvious issues (peak, midrange pay raises etc.) Fred Astaire would be envious. Fred S, proud.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
And Memphis will continue to kiss their butt as if nothing ever happened. So guess what will take place next year? The same ol' crap.

The only other alternative is to refuse to take the freight, which BC said would be a bad idea the last time it was discussed, IIRC. So we're stuck with simultaneously holding the following opinions:

1) FedEx should not take any freight in excess of shippers' projections.
2) FedEx should not turn down any freight that's in excess of shippers' projections.

59 Dano

OK. So drive down there at 1859, and observe them changing the ship date. Simple. If they've lied to you in the past, they shouldn't mind a check-in visit. If they ship anyway with an unchanged date, call Memphis and tell them you have an issue.

Management fail.

Oh, and it's just that simple, ROTFLMAO!!!

outtatime

Oh, and it's just that simple, ROTFLMAO!!!
So it's the stations responsibility to re-label all the packages with the correct date by hand? I've seen a situation where 5 FT couriers took 4 hours to re-label an entire 53' trailer of auto parts from a well known automaker because they didn't change the ship date after the cut-off. And it's not the 1st time it's happened.

rod

Retired 22 years
The "Holiday' is over------------------------------------------------time to move on. Nobody is going to take the blame for anything.

bbsam

Staff member
The "Holiday' is over------------------------------------------------time to move on. Nobody is going to take the blame for anything.
Unless it reflects negatively on the quarterly report. Then it's the couriers' fault.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So it's the stations responsibility to re-label all the packages with the correct date by hand? I've seen a situation where 5 FT couriers took 4 hours to re-label an entire 53' trailer of auto parts from a well known automaker because they didn't change the ship date after the cut-off. And it's not the 1st time it's happened.

Bingo. Or, you go down to the shipper and tell them the stuff processed after 1859 isn't moving. It doesn't seem like rocket science.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The only other alternative is to refuse to take the freight, which BC said would be a bad idea the last time it was discussed, IIRC. So we're stuck with simultaneously holding the following opinions:

1) FedEx should not take any freight in excess of shippers' projections.
2) FedEx should not turn down any freight that's in excess of shippers' projections.

You don't have the cajones to drive down to the shipper and tell them in-person. You're a poor excuse for a manager. Oh, that's right, you're a pretend manager, so it would be a virtual conversation. Perhaps you could get Thunder to keep them in line for you.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
Greetings to my brothers and sisters in Purple,how was this past peak at FredEx? I gotta say ours,at my center,was not bad at all. We had a few super heavy days and some new drivers that were,absolutely,lost and needed to be bailed out. But compared to past peaks,we were not that bad. Talking to our center manager,we were considerably heavier than last year even heavier than the cluster :censored2: that was 2013 and we got through it unscathed.

But we cannot expect peak 2016 to better than this year because we have no idea what Amazon will do. I will say I did see less Amazon than previous years but an increase in all the other shippers. Target and WalMart on line sales had to be a record because I saw at least double the volume from them. And LL Bean was crazy busy on my route.

We are,as a corporation,worried about Amazon but there may be a silver lining;As their volume drops,it allows us the space and time to focus on other shippers.

We are not going out of business anytime in the near future. UPS will,begrudgingly, make appropriate changes and continue to do what we do.

I see FedEx gaining more share as they are smaller and this allows more flexibility.

Oh well,we will continue to do what we do,deliver boxes.

59 Dano

I've seen those situations, too. They went to the ramp and did it as the trailers were being unloaded. Station got credit for the packages and didn't use any onroad hours to get them. Additionally, the packages got the proper labels with the proper delivery date.

Why send 5 FT couriers? We always had 3 handlers per truck and they rarely took more than 2 hours, depending on how often the ramp clowns had to stop the belt.

59 Dano

Maybe not simple, but exactly what is undoable or unworkable in the suggestion?

When you show up on their doorstep and tell them you want to watch them work and they say no and you end up with a trailer full of freight with improper ASTRA labels. They know that FedEx will get the blame if the packages are delivered late, or even "late" because they have the wrong ASTRA labels.