Thinking of leaving Express for Ground.

Grounded

Like I said, a DRIVER making $12 per hour is very unlikely to become an ISP. How does anyone making that kind of money hope to be able to save enough to buy a route? I'm sure some ISPs do just fine.

Every ISP started out as a driver. They learned the system, put in their time, bought routes, trucks, worked hard, finally got out of the truck. They don't pay in cash, the get a loan from a bank, and FedEx Ground helps them to plan. It's not a Cinderella story, you go to a bank with a business model and support from a company like FedEx....

vantexan

Every ISP started out as a driver. They learned the system, put in their time, bought routes, trucks, worked hard, finally got out of the truck. They don't pay in cash, the get a loan from a bank, and FedEx Ground helps them to plan. It's not a Cinderella story, you go to a bank with a business model and support from a company like FedEx....

​If that's true then why are routes advertised on Craigslist?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

"A company like FedEx". Yeah, they're pretty great, aren't they? Ever wonder about them...even just a little?

STFXG

​If that's true then why are routes advertised on Craigslist?

Because its not true...

bbsam

Staff member
Like I said, a DRIVER making $12 per hour is very unlikely to become an ISP. How does anyone making that kind of money hope to be able to save enough to buy a route? I'm sure some ISPs do just fine.
One place I know people go for loans to get started or add routes is Direct Capital. From what I hear, they are big into alot of franchise purchasing. Firstar Capital as well has been courting contractor business.

CCM45

I'm a long time lurker here and finally wanted to chime in. I worked at Express for about 5 five years but took the advice of Mr. FedEx and ran for the hills because I saw a very bleak future for me. Instead of looking for a new career, I had the opportunity to by 3 Ground routes in my area. Now I have 6 routes with 4 p1000's and 2 1200's on the road all doing 100-140 stops a day. The routes in my area are growing so fast It's hard to keep up and I'm already planning on more growth. All my drivers make $700-$900 a week and I just joined my states health cooperative to add health benefits for my drivers. There is still the usually BS I have to deal with at Ground from management but its my company and I make the decisions. I am also friends with all the UPS drivers in my area and work half the time they do and now make a lot more. Now I actually enjoy what I do and can live a decent life style.

MAKAVELI

I'm a long time lurker here and finally wanted to chime in. I worked at Express for about 5 five years but took the advice of Mr. FedEx and ran for the hills because I saw a very bleak future for me. Instead of looking for a new career, I had the opportunity to by 3 Ground routes in my area. Now I have 6 routes with 4 p1000's and 2 1200's on the road all doing 100-140 stops a day. The routes in my area are growing so fast It's hard to keep up and I'm already planning on more growth. All my drivers make $700-$900 a week and I just joined my states health cooperative to add health benefits for my drivers. There is still the usually BS I have to deal with at Ground from management but its my company and I make the decisions. I am also friends with all the UPS drivers in my area and work half the time they do and now make a lot more. Now I actually enjoy what I do and can live a decent life style.
I just love how you contractors talk salary with no mention of hours worked, both on road and off or ot. If you take an average 50 hour work week those numbers don't look so rosy. 60 hours and it looks really bad.

vantexan

I just love how you contractors talk salary with no mention of hours worked, both on road and off or ot. If you take an average 50 hour work week those numbers don't look so rosy. 60 hours and it looks really bad.

What matters is he makes great money working part-time hours. My question is if he makes alot more than UPS drivers, who do pretty well, why not take for pay what a UPS driver makes and give the rest to his drivers? Do UPS drivers not live decent lifestyles?

MAKAVELI

Do ups drivers have hundreds of thousands of their own money invested in working for ups?
Money is not the only form of investment that makes a business successful long-term. As a " business owner" you should now that. UPS is successful as it is for such a long time because of the dedicated, hard working, frontline employees.

vantexan

Do ups drivers have hundreds of thousands of their own money invested in working for ups?

I thought it was all loans with FedEx backing. Why be so greedy? Take care of the people who make it happen for you. Geez, you'd still make very good money without breaking your back.

bbsam

Staff member
Money is not the only form of investment that makes a business successful long-term. As a " business owner" you should now that. UPS is successful as it is for such a long time because of the dedicated, hard working, frontline employees.

Not all frontline employees are the same. Some I'd love to have for 30 years. Others could leave tomorrow.and the multiple silver linings would be easily spotted.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Nice to hear you are doing well, however, making Fred rich never sits well with me. As others have asked, how many hours per week do your drivers work to earn "$700-900" per week. How are you making money paying your people at least $15 (60 hrs x$15 =$900) per hour, and much more than that if they only work 40 hours per week? Is your contract that lucrative?