Thoughts of your local...

LagunaBrown

It is blatantly unfair to force a seasonal worker who has zero chance of being retained after Peak to pay an initiation fee and/or monthly union dues.

Which part of that are you having difficulty with?

I'm having difficulty with your ineptitude to do anything about it other than bitching. If your not trying to do something to change it then it is what it is..... Do not forget these are adults that accepted those terms.... Why are you so compelled to be their internet champion without actually stepping in the ring? What is your opinion about the flip side where the locals must endure blatantly unfair things without that choice...... Such as SCABS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm having difficulty with your ineptitude to do anything about it other than bitching. If your not trying to do something to change it then it is what it is..... Do not forget these are adults that accepted those terms.... Why are you so compelled to be their internet champion without actually stepping in the ring? What is your opinion about the flip side where the locals must endure blatantly unfair things without that choice...... Such as SCABS.

Were these terms disclosed to them by HR when they were hired on a seasonal basis?

Thankfully my local does the right thing by not gouging seasonal help.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
What have they done to you (personally).... that justifies your opinion ?

Think about what you're saying....

As a member in good standing, you have the ability to run for Local office.

Not everyone elected in to office has "retreat" rights, to return to their former employer.

Raising the issue of competency.... is a "subjective" opinion.

Elected officials are made up, of rank and file members.

If they had a law degree.... they wouldn't be truck drivers.

-Bug-
I can't get into it because it involves a large number of people and if I did talk about it it would give away who I am and I would like to remain anonymous on here, however I will say this little tid bit, they told us to stop turning in grievances because they have stopped turning them in.

greengrenades

You'd think the prospect of having to return to their old jobs would ensure that they are competent in their representation. But even then they will focus most of their energy on their voting base.
Yes, they love to stand in parking lots and making promises but as soon as they are elected you never see them again. Man I can't wait to laugh in their face next election.

Inthegame

I can't get into it because it involves a large number of people and if I did talk about it it would give away who I am and I would like to remain anonymous on here, however I will say this little tid bit, they told us to stop turning in grievances because they have stopped turning them in.
Hmmmm...Are you sure they didn't say something along the lines of "don't turn in grievances on issues that have already been settled." The local has a duty to accept any grievance, but has discretion on proceeding.
Yes, they love to stand in parking lots and making promises but as soon as they are elected you never see them again. Man I can't wait to laugh in their face next election.
I suspect they have jobs to do. If our agents/officers stood around in parking lots throughout their term, I'd question their worth. If indeed they made a blanket statement on grievances as you allege, they'd be easy to defeat in the next election. Run for office! That would get you satisfaction (or at least some better understanding of their job) beyond the fleeting moment when you laughed in their faces (as they get re-elected).

greengrenades

Hmmmm...Are you sure they didn't say something along the lines of "don't turn in grievances on issues that have already been settled." The local has a duty to accept any grievance, but has discretion on proceeding.

I suspect they have jobs to do. If our agents/officers stood around in parking lots throughout their term, I'd question their worth. If indeed they made a blanket statement on grievances as you allege, they'd be easy to defeat in the next election. Run for office! That would get you satisfaction (or at least some better understanding of their job) beyond the fleeting moment when you laughed in their faces (as they get re-elected).
It has not been settled.

pretzel

I am in the locAL 174 very militant. Supervisors and managers shrink when our BA walks in the building. We fund our pension have a strike fund and suggest every driver give $3.00 a week to DRIVE. UPS is trying to break our union by adding new buildings and merging centers into different locals. Our union is in the Seattle area and I am currently in one of the new buildings. Half of the buildING is 313 and the other hAlf is 174. The building has been awarded to 313 by our joint council 28 we apealled the decision and are currently 174 until Hoffa makes a ruling. They are about to do the same thing on the north end. We currently have 10-12 centers in our local. If ups gets there way and we lose our appeal they will put a supercenter in the south end with 5 centers then they will do the same up north. Reducing 174 to 3 centers UPS is making a big play in our area. The reason being 313 is unionized management I'm sure the other locals aren't as bad but there not strong like 174. So we are hoping for a slam dunk from Hoffa.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I would like to hear from the RTW folks. What are those locals doing or not doing to attract membership?

I would like to hear from the RTW folks. What are those locals doing or not doing to attract membership?
By treating non Union members as potential new Union members when they have an issue with pay or discipline. And you know we all will be there at some point. Most PTers choose to join after a year or two and almost all FT are Union members.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Most of my guys don't know whether or not they're in the union and the union is essentially nonexistent in my building.

Let's put it this way. They've cancelled union meetings because the 4 guys that would normally be there wanted to watch a football game.

Overpaid Union Thug

I can't speak for the hub anymore (transferred out a long time ago) but there is barely any attempt in my building to attract no membership other than drivers or the steward occasionally trying to talk non members in to joining. But that is extremely rare. In my decade and half of working in an extended center I have yet to see someone from the local in our building for recruiting purposes. Other than coming down for grievances they only show their faces in my building once a year and right before local elections.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Maybe they should move the meetings to a sports bar.
One of our newer drivers who I'm buddies with told me they did that a couple months ago. 85 hourlies in our building. The steward, a preloader, and two drivers showed up. He told me he went so he could have a beer and get away from the wife and kids. He could care less what they were talking about.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Our Local is great. Most of the leadership is comprised of former UPSers. Our Business Agent is down at our building anout twice a week on average, kicking ass and taking names. The only difference between our Business Agent and a pitbull on meth....is that if you cut the pitbull's head off it will usually let go of you.