Time for Changes

brownIEman

Nope the people in your department have water down every aspect of this company easily the worst department in history of UPS. You should be proud.
I'm not really going to defend IE. It is the favorite punching bag of hourly and most front line management, including myself when I was in operations. I will simply say it is easy to hate an organization when you really have no clear understanding of what it does and what it has been tasked with accomplishing.

Thebrownblob

I'm not really going to defend IE. It is the favorite punching bag of hourly and most front line management, including myself when I was in operations. I will simply say it is easy to hate an organization when you really have no clear understanding of what it does and what it has been tasked with accomplishing.
I have a clear understanding of what you do. So does everyone else in this company, most everyone That’s not in your department that hates your department. If you’re going to come on here and throw assumptions and malign Teamsters work ethic, you better come with a better argument or just don’t come at all.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
IMG_4784.gif

brownIEman

I have a clear understanding of what you do. So does everyone else in this company, most everyone That’s not in your department that hates your department. If you’re going to come on here and throw assumptions and malign Teamsters work ethic, you better come with a better argument or just don’t come at all.

No, you don't have a clear idea what IE does. You have not spent time trying to work out a plan for projected volumes in a twilight, midnight, day sort, let alone an entire package division. You simply have not. You look at a single route on a daily basis and project from how jacked up the huge number of variables involved has made that route and think from that "I have a clear understanding of what IE does".
It is no different from a brand new IE pencil neck looking at your route, looking only at one single delivery to the front porch of 1725 E Roosevelt Rd, and going "Yeah, I have a clear understanding of what Thebrownblob does everyday all day, he should easily be able to finish 175 stops before he begins pickups at 3:40 every day".

As for your "coming on here" comment, look around. You are in the Partners forum.
Also, for what it is worth, I am not maligning any individual Teamsters work ethic. The people with the highest work ethic I have met in my life were Teamsters (sadly, many of them were labeled "runner-gunners" and maligned by their less competent and or sluggish breatheren. You see posts on browncafe maligning runner-gunners all the time.) Again, I am not trying to malign yours or anyone elses specific work ethic. I have merely pointed out that putting value in a high level of work ethic is no longer a part of the Union culture generally in the US. I find that a little sad, that's all.

Thebrownblob

No, you don't have a clear idea what IE does. You have not spent time trying to work out a plan for projected volumes in a twilight, midnight, day sort, let alone an entire package division. You simply have not. You look at a single route on a daily basis and project from how jacked up the huge number of variables involved has made that route and think from that "I have a clear understanding of what IE does".
It is no different from a brand new IE pencil neck looking at your route, looking only at one single delivery to the front porch of 1725 E Roosevelt Rd, and going "Yeah, I have a clear understanding of what Thebrownblob does everyday all day, he should easily be able to finish 175 stops before he begins pickups at 3:40 every day".

As for your "coming on here" comment, look around. You are in the Partners forum.
Also, for what it is worth, I am not maligning any individual Teamsters work ethic. The people with the highest work ethic I have met in my life were Teamsters (sadly, many of them were labeled "runner-gunners" and maligned by their less competent and or sluggish breatheren. You see posts on browncafe maligning runner-gunners all the time.) Again, I am not trying to malign yours or anyone elses specific work ethic. I have merely pointed out that putting value in a high level of work ethic is no longer a part of the Union culture generally in the US. I find that a little sad, that's all.
Look around this is the Brown café. And yes, he certainly did intend to malign and I’m glad you think you know that I only look at one route typical of a jack ass IE man who thinks his job is very important, so important that you’ll probably find someone in India doing your job in the next two years. Don’t hurt yourself. Patting yourself on the back.

Thebrownblob

yep. seriously.
If you have been package planner for a package division, please let me know that and I will take it back. You do apparently have a clear understanding of cool memes though. so there is that.
If you’ve been a business agent or Steward, I’ll take what I said back, you apparently don’t have have a clear understanding so there’s that. instead you and your department or thought of as cheats and liars throughout the company It’s kind of sad your work ethic and reputation.

UnionStrong

yep. seriously.
If you have been package planner for a package division, please let me know that and I will take it back. You do apparently have a clear understanding of cool memes though. so there is that.
You know nothing. “I’m in IE look at me” Get back to your cubicle.

UnionStrong

I find you sad and pathetic. Got fetch the coffee.

Thebrownblob

I find you sad and pathetic. Got fetch the coffee.
Oh, wait he didn’t mean to malign the Teamsters work ethic lol. He knows dozens and dozens of business agent and Stewards and they tell their members to slow down and be bad employees. Gtfo. I can assure you, some of my best ass chewings came from business agents.

UnionStrong

If you’ve been a business agent or Steward, I’ll take what I said back, you apparently don’t have have a clear understanding so there’s that. instead you and your department or thought of as cheats and liars throughout the company It’s kind of sad your work ethic and reputation.
Little Nancy boys like him are a dime a dozen at UPS. He better brush up on his Hindi, he’s gonna be training his own replacement soon.

UnionStrong

Oh, wait he didn’t mean to malign the Teamsters work ethic lol. He knows dozens and dozens of business agent and Stewards and they tell their members to slow down and be bad employees. Gtfo. I can assure you, some of my best ass chewings came from business agents.
He has no idea what goes on. All he does is mess things up. Jealous little twerps

johnbuck

I am in IE and im sure the hell aint going to defend it. After transformation the dept is complete trash. Corporate IE just sends down a bunch of inrealistic intitives. Also talking about forecasting....i used to be responsible for forecasting vol for one of the biggest hubs in the country. We were told just take the last 3 wk avg. Corp forecast they had was complete trash

brownIEman

In what year was Amazon started, weren’t they just another book store back in the 90’s. Claiming that we do not deliver on Sunday is the main reason for the growth of Amazon is pretty far fetched. I stand by my claim that compared to UPS that started in 1907, they are a fly by night operation, their substantial growth are primarily due to internet purchases and the Pandemic, much like the other Common Carriers like UPS.
Sorry, I meant AMZL, Amazon Logistics, their delivery arm, not Amazon the retail giant in general. Amazon started as an online bookstore in '95. They have and continue to compete with physical store front retailers. They want their customers to be able to click an order and get it nearly as fast as walking into a store, finding a product and walking out. UPS, Fedex, USPS, could not get them there. At least in the case of UPS a large part of that was Sunday (there were other issues). So, they started a delivery network AMZL, Amazon Logistics. IMO, Sunday delivery was probably one of the single biggest reasons they started delivering their own packages.
You failed to mention Fed Ex…they are way more fragile than we are even if we have a strike. Their workforce has to be hurting because of inflationary pressure and any additional work created over a strike will just add to the problem.

Again… prime territory for organizing…
Well, get to organizing. Seriously, I have heard this "FedEx is ripe for unionizing" for decades. Get to it already, level the playing field.
Any price increases are based on the market demands, Post Office raises their rates so do we, same with the other Common Carriers. Generally we go up 5 to 6 percent a year, most companies do the same, particularly with our inflation rates. When had UPS ever had “6 or 8 losing quarters”, maybe before our time.
UPS has never had 6 or 8 losing quarters. If it had been brave, and said Nope, no more 5 to 6 percent price hikes, we are keeping our rates unchanged. and going after more volume based on lower prices, they would have. 2022 is a fantastic example year as total revenue was right about $100B. Simple math. UPS raised prices by 5.9% at the start of 2022. So, that 5.9% equates to just about $5.9B of the $10B profit UPS made that year as changing prices will not effect cost to serve. Take that away, and UPS only makes $4.1B that year. UPS again refuses to raise prices, costs continue to rise, and that $4.1B becomes around a $ 2 or $3B loss. etc. Had UPS done that early in the 2000's, they would have been able to negotiate lowered costs, and gained back lost market share.
Pretty sure O’Brien doesn’t want to strike if he doesn’t have to. One of the false claims about Carey was that he called the strike because of political reasons. O’Brien does not have anywhere near the opposition within his ranks that Carey had, his overwhelming victory over the handpicked Hoffa candidates settled that scenario.
I am not too proud to admit I am wrong. Looks like I was wrong on that one. Good, I hope the PTers got a deal out of this and they are back to about 2x min in most areas as it was when I stated loading in a Twilight sort back when God was yound and rocks were small...
First time I heard that, is this conjecture or do you have proof..and really were did you hear this from…?

Researched the incident.. official cause of the accident was load shifting.

From my understanding the “97” strike was considered peaceful despite of a few hot heads from the other barns. No physical confrontation on our lines, some yelling.. but the members knew what they were doing…
It was largely peaceful. There was a driver stabbed in Florida while delivering, and there was this manager who died on a lonely highway in TN. The Teamsters at the time blamed the company for the death, saying they were putting unqualified management on the road. Thing is, that guy was apparently a Feeder Safety Manager. He taught new Feeder drivers and spent a lot of time behind the wheel. He was not close to unqualified. People I worked with speculated sure, maybe his load shifted. And maybe it shifted when he swerved to avoid a collision with an IBT goon who brake checked him on the highway. Pure speculation... Then a few years ago on Browncafe the subject of the '97 strike came up in a thread, and a poster talked about how cool it was that a badass BA he worked with told them how he would get in front of management feeder runs during the strike and slow way down on one lane roads to box them in.
It is still mostly conjecture on my part, I have no proof. I have the strange coincidence of a crash of a very competent driver, and an admission that such tactics were used.

UnionStrong

Sorry, I meant AMZL, Amazon Logistics, their delivery arm, not Amazon the retail giant in general. Amazon started as an online bookstore in '95. They have and continue to compete with physical store front retailers. They want their customers to be able to click an order and get it nearly as fast as walking into a store, finding a product and walking out. UPS, Fedex, USPS, could not get them there. At least in the case of UPS a large part of that was Sunday (there were other issues). So, they started a delivery network AMZL, Amazon Logistics. IMO, Sunday delivery was probably one of the single biggest reasons they started delivering their own packages.

Well, get to organizing. Seriously, I have heard this "FedEx is ripe for unionizing" for decades. Get to it already, level the playing field.

UPS has never had 6 or 8 losing quarters. If it had been brave, and said Nope, no more 5 to 6 percent price hikes, we are keeping our rates unchanged. and going after more volume based on lower prices, they would have. 2022 is a fantastic example year as total revenue was right about $100B. Simple math. UPS raised prices by 5.9% at the start of 2022. So, that 5.9% equates to just about $5.9B of the $10B profit UPS made that year as changing prices will not effect cost to serve. Take that away, and UPS only makes $4.1B that year. UPS again refuses to raise prices, costs continue to rise, and that $4.1B becomes around a $ 2 or $3B loss. etc. Had UPS done that early in the 2000's, they would have been able to negotiate lowered costs, and gained back lost market share.

I am not too proud to admit I am wrong. Looks like I was wrong on that one. Good, I hope the PTers got a deal out of this and they are back to about 2x min in most areas as it was when I stated loading in a Twilight sort back when God was yound and rocks were small...

It was largely peaceful. There was a driver stabbed in Florida while delivering, and there was this manager who died on a lonely highway in TN. The Teamsters at the time blamed the company for the death, saying they were putting unqualified management on the road. Thing is, that guy was apparently a Feeder Safety Manager. He taught new Feeder drivers and spent a lot of time behind the wheel. He was not close to unqualified. People I worked with speculated sure, maybe his load shifted. And maybe it shifted when he swerved to avoid a collision with an IBT goon who brake checked him on the highway. Pure speculation... Then a few years ago on Browncafe the subject of the '97 strike came up in a thread, and a poster talked about how cool it was that a badass BA he worked with told them how he would get in front of management feeder runs during the strike and slow way down on one lane roads to box them in.
It is still mostly conjecture on my part, I have no proof. I have the strange coincidence of a crash of a very competent driver, and an admission that such tactics were used.
So glad I didn’t read that tripe.