Time For Teamsters

bbsam

Staff member
Globally speaking, our gas prices are not high. Contrary to your assertions the government suubsidies and tax breaks probably make it very lucrative to produce gasoline here and sell in higher priced markets.

vantexan

Globally speaking, our gas prices are not high. Contrary to your assertions the government suubsidies and tax breaks probably make it very lucrative to produce gasoline here and sell in higher priced markets.

They aren't producing gasoline here, they're producing oil for export. Our refineries are maxed out trying to meet domestic demand. We don't have enough refinery capacity and one major hurricane in the Gulf will shut much of that down.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The key difference is the rest of the world has adapted to high gas prices. Vehicles are generally smaller and alternate forms of transportation, to include mass transit, are more prevalent, especially in Europe. When I was in Sicily in 1983 gas was already $5/gallon. People drove small cars, rode their bikes or took the bus. SUV's were unheard of.

Sober has called for the EPA to relax their emissions standards so as to allow the car companies to produce vehicles to be sold here which can get upward of 80mpg. The technology exists and is commonplace in Europe and Asia.

TOS has reported that the use of alternative fuel vehicles in California has increased as the price of fuel has increased. This is exactly what Obama wants and what our nation needs.

vantexan

And globally speaking their prices reflect the extremely high taxes on gas as well as much more inefficient supply distribution methods in many countries.

bbsam

Staff member
They aren't producing gasoline here, they're producing oil for export. Our refineries are maxed out trying to meet domestic demand. We don't have enough refinery capacity and one major hurricane in the Gulf will shut much of that down.
That is incorrect. According to the Wall Street Journal on November 11, 2011, the U.S. became a net exporter of refined fuels.

vantexan

The key difference is the rest of the world has adapted to high gas prices. Vehicles are generally smaller and alternate forms of transportation, to include mass transit, are more prevalent, especially in Europe. When I was in Sicily in 1983 gas was already $5/gallon. People drove small cars, rode their bikes or took the bus. SUV's were unheard of.

Sober has called for the EPA to relax their emissions standards so as to allow the car companies to produce vehicles to be sold here which can get upward of 80mpg. The technology exists and is commonplace in Europe and Asia.

TOS has reported that the use of alternative fuel vehicles in California has increased as the price of fuel has increased. This is exactly what Obama wants and what our nation needs.

I'm all for anything that will bring prices down and help us. I'd love to see the small diesels they have in Europe but also keep in mind they use imperial gallons which inflate the mileage numbers a bit, but are still very good. But right now name a viable alternative fuel that is available, works well, and has a large distribution network? Ethanol is a bust. If Hydrogen ever works out it'll be decades, if not the next century. And this country should have invested much more in mass transit a long time ago. Problem with that compared to other places is America is much larger without the population concentrations that work well for mass transit, except in the Northeast. But as our population gets poorer mass transit is the only true alternative for now. Mexico is great example for that.

bbsam

Staff member
Gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel are all refined fuels that have been refined in the U.S. and exported to more lucrative markets.

vantexan

That is incorrect. According to the Wall Street Journal on November 11, 2011, the U.S. became a net exporter of refined fuels.

OK, Mea culpa. Now read the Jan. 4th, 2012 Atlantic article about how the EPA caused it. Along with the slow economy and more fuel efficient cars that resulted in higher supply, plus gov't regulations and taxes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The West Coast seems to have embraced the electric car much more so than the rest of the country. Charging stations are being built everywhere. In urban areas renting a car by the hour seems to be catching on. I agree that our country, especially west of the Appalachians, is not well-suited for mass transit. I know when my son and I go to Boston we pahk the cah and ride the Charley.

I would love to buy a Volt but am hard-pressed to justify the $45K, tax breaks notwithstanding. I would also be met with resistance if I requested permission from my condo board to permanently install a charging station in front of my unit.

bbsam

Staff member
OK, Mea culpa. Now read the Jan. 4th, 2012 Atlantic article about how the EPA caused it. Along with the slow economy and more fuel efficient cars that resulted in higher supply, plus gov't regulations and taxes.
Fine. Fact still remains that because of efficiency, the EPA etc., we are becoming less dependant on oil. We are becoming more energy self-sufficient and efficient. That is not a bad thing. Nothing but profit motive is keeping the fuel companies from selling it in the domestic market and driving the price per gallon down. Not the EPA, not the public's lust for "urban tanks", not the tax policies.

XFILED

The West Coast seems to have embraced the electric car much more so than the rest of the country. Charging stations are being built everywhere. In urban areas renting a car by the hour seems to be catching on. I agree that our country, especially west of the Appalachians, is not well-suited for mass transit. I know when my son and I go to Boston we pahk the cah and ride the Charley.

I would love to buy a Volt but am hard-pressed to justify the $45K, tax breaks notwithstanding. I would also be met with resistance if I requested permission from my condo board to permanently install a charging station in front of my unit.

I live on the West Coast in one of Largest cities in America and I don't see many eletric vehicles nor do I see charging stations popping up everywhere...I think I can count on my hands the amount of changing stations I've seen...
I do see a lot of SUV's,BMW's,Mercedes...
Also I've seen the renting of those tiny cars by the hour once when I was visiting San Diego..

vantexan

Fine. Fact still remains that because of efficiency, the EPA etc., we are becoming less dependant on oil. We are becoming more energy self-sufficient and efficient. That is not a bad thing. Nothing but profit motive is keeping the fuel companies from selling it in the domestic market and driving the price per gallon down. Not the EPA, not the public's lust for "urban tanks", not the tax policies.

But being a net exporter doesn't mean that they aren't selling it here. And again the taxes on a gallon of gas are higher than what the oil companies make in profit per gallon. The true acid test would be to greatly limit or eliminate the import of Mideast oil and expect the oil companies to make up the difference, along with still importing from Canada and other friendly countries. Of course this would have to be phased in but give them incentives to keep the fuel here, such as tax breaks to drill on Federal land but that oil must remain in the U.S.. And saying we are becoming less dependent on oil is inaccurate because we are a petroleum based economy. Oil is in everything...our clothes, cosmetics, tires, the list is almost endless. The day we no longer have an economy based on oil is the day we run out unless true alternatives can be developed.

vantexan

I live on the West Coast in one of Largest cities in America and I don't see many eletric vehicles nor do I see charging stations popping up everywhere...I think I can count on my hands the amount of changing stations I've seen...
I do see a lot of SUV's,BMW's,Mercedes...
Also I've seen the renting of those tiny cars by the hour once when I was visiting San Diego..

Most Americans aren't going to buy electric cars if it means not being able to drive 300 miles roundtrip to Grandma's for Thanksgiving. Only the well off can afford a car that doesn't give them that kind of independence. They can always break out the luxury sedan for long trips.