To Drivers-Where do I learn to drive a manual before road test?!!

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by steve44, Dec 17, 2015.

1. steve44

steve44 New Member

I just out my name on the list and after 10 years, I feel like I will get a call. I am worried about the test though. No one that I know has a manual car that I can practice on. I heard they already expect you to know how to drive one. What do I do? I called the drivers ed in my county and they said they would teach me but I have to provide the car that is manual? Any ideas?
  2. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Have you tried Hertz, Avis or Budget??
  3. Anthonysg0113

Anthonysg0113 Active Member

Are there any manuals on your center or hub's lot that a sup will let you practice on?
  4. steve44

steve44 New Member

If I asked the sup would they teach me before test you think?
  5. steve44

steve44 New Member

I called a car place to rent one in town and they said they did not have manuals? Maybe I need to try others?
  6. Pooter

Pooter Active Member

I'll never understand why you guys wait years and never once think to learn standard BEFORE your time comes up.

Call driving schools, watch YouTube videos and pray :D
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

I don't think any of them have rent-a-racers any more.
  8. Anthonysg0113

Anthonysg0113 Active Member

You just need to ask. Tell them you want to learn. I learned manual transmission on my first car.
  9. jumpman23

jumpman23 Oh Yeah

All i am going to say is, not directing it to anyone in particular, but if a guy cant drive a stick, THATS JUST PATHETIC. I put that 1 in the same category as a dude who cant catch a baseball, shoot a basketball or throw a football. KILLING THE MANHOOD MAN lmfao.
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

I have a stick you can practice on.
    • Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • List
  11. Clock Sucker

Clock Sucker I handle a lot of packages

I should probably test drive it first to make sure the ride is smooth
  12. Future

Future Well-Known Member

OOps must be in a Fed EX group....
  13. jumpman23

jumpman23 Oh Yeah

14. chris9834

chris9834 Member

Best idea i can give is look on craigslist and see if someone offers stick shift training, if not make a add im sure someone would want to make some money as long as u dont burn up their clutch lmao.
  15. QualityLoads

QualityLoads Active Member

Check for car rentals near an Airport. Theres a chance for some manual transmission cars. Tourists from out of the country prefer manuals.
  16. paul the clerk

paul the clerk just chillin'

im almost positive my center manager said that they were changing the road test to an automatic. or might have already changed? i don't think there is but a very few manuals left in my building
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  17. underworked1

underworked1 Active Member

It's actually not that unusual nowadays. Anyone 30 or younger probably hasn't had to drive a stick. Personally I think it is unsafe as :censored2:. They want all our attention on driving and 2 hands on the wheel. There is no reason ups shouldn't be 100% automatics. Except they are greedy tightwads. If their main focus was safety we would all be driving autos
    Edit: basketball and football is a sign of city boy manhood. Around here being able to gut and skin a deer or any other animal, whilst chewing a dip is real manhood.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  18. underworked1

underworked1 Active Member

Road test can be automatic but when they send them guys to integrad they better be able to drive a stick.
  19. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Our division has eliminated the standard transmission requirement.
  20. Big Babooba

Big Babooba Well-Known Member

I bet the linkage feels rubbery
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List