To the ISPs

FedGT

Just push the button and the door will go up.

Yeah. I highly doubt the doors have ever been locked. Another huge embellishment from our little single contractor buddy. This looks like it will be a long drawn out process with very untrue information from him.

CJinx

Why? They know their jobs and I don't need to walk them around by the diaper.
No, but no reason to go from zero to nuclear immediately. Explain what you'll do if it happens again, then do it if it does.
How about the locked doors in terminal, so we can't leave
If any manager made the decision to lock the doors to keep the trucks in, legal would have their person's head on a stick by the end of the day.
If they tried to lock me in, I would park the truck in front of the overhead door, take the keys with me, leave through a crash-bar door and throw the keys down a storm drain.
Easy to say when it's not your property. The point is moot, though; if your namesake it correct and you are HD, you load your own truck anyway so we don't have to lock you in.

bbsam

Staff member
No, but no reason to go from zero to nuclear immediately. Explain what you'll do if it happens again, then do it if it does.
If any manager made the decision to lock the doors to keep the trucks in, legal would have their person's head on a stick by the end of the day.
Easy to say when it's not your property. The point is moot, though; if your namesake it correct and you are HD, you load your own truck anyway so we don't have to lock you in.
It's not 0 to nuclear. We (and from the sounds of it around here every station) have had this conversation many, many times with preload, ops managers, seniors, MD's...and what happens? The revolving door that is X's problem is dumped at my feet. Have you ever seen how they train? Have you seen what happens when half the preload calls in sick? What do you think would happen if half my drivers called in and I just left it for the station to deal with? It's crazy how little they are accountable and it goes all the way up to Pittsburgh. When I put a new van in, I have to pray the right people in Pittsburgh aren't on vacation or approval gets delayed for a week to ten days. Why? I can only assume it's because someone has so little to do that approving trucks, even brand new trucks, fills up their day and makes their job "essential". 13 billion dollar a year company choked by ridiculous middle management red tape.

Bounty

It's not 0 to nuclear. We (and from the sounds of it around here every station) have had this conversation many, many times with preload, ops managers, seniors, MD's...and what happens? The revolving door that is X's problem is dumped at my feet. Have you ever seen how they train? Have you seen what happens when half the preload calls in sick? What do you think would happen if half my drivers called in and I just left it for the station to deal with? It's crazy how little they are accountable and it goes all the way up to Pittsburgh. When I put a new van in, I have to pray the right people in Pittsburgh aren't on vacation or approval gets delayed for a week to ten days. Why? I can only assume it's because someone has so little to do that approving trucks, even brand new trucks, fills up their day and makes their job "essential". 13 billion dollar a year company choked by ridiculous middle management red tape.

WestcoastHD

Massive Stinkies

I might not drop them down the storm drain, but I would certainly put them somewhere outside and wait a few hours to tell anyone where they are.

bbsam

Staff member
Just curious, why would "your business" have to make sure your allowed to use your truck.
I had to.
Because it's their DOT number. Check with any owner operator company that uses the company's DOT number and I think you'll find the same situation.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I don't know why drivers do this. We're not paying you for it, and unless your contractor is then you're just providing unpaid labor. God forbid you get injured in the process.

But but but... We're HD! They staged our boxes, bags, envelopes, an irregs all on a pallet... U didnt know that? Plus some of us go straight home with the van, so its not there during the preload process.

Now, if they start making us return to hub every night so my load would be in my van every morning, I may be inclined to drive that extra 45 min back instead of taking 10-20 min to go straight home

Bounty

Ok than, how about when fedex doesn't let you leave at home delivery when your missing 1 package that x put on the wrong pile.

STFXG

Because it's their DOT number. Check with any owner operator company that uses the company's DOT number and I think you'll find the same situation.
Trucks below 10k gvw no longer have to display the DOT number and still need approval.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Omg
Ok than, how about when fedex doesn't let you leave at home delivery when your missing 1 package that x put on the wrong pile.

I see that many times... Then I make the argument that we are loading our vans for free & I don't get paid unless my wheels are turning & my boxes are at their destinations... I give the managers a 15 min time span to find that one or 3 mis sorted box and go get my paperwork, uniform, ice/water, free coffee from the meeting room...then I'll demand to close the route so I can roll

Now, if I'm being paid by the hour, I'll hang around and wait for that one box!

CJinx

I might not drop them down the storm drain, but I would certainly put them somewhere outside and wait a few hours to tell anyone where they are.
Cool story. When it becomes clear that you aren't coming back, we would have already called your contractor to get the truck moved or got a yard tractor and towed your truck out of the way.
But but but... We're HD! They staged our boxes, bags, envelopes, an irregs all on a pallet... U didnt know that? Plus some of us go straight home with the van, so its not there during the preload process.
Well, it was more or less directed at the Ground side which comes back every night and has their vehicles loaded (or not, apparently).
Tell them that they have however long it takes you to complete your pretrip to locate the missing package, then you're leaving.
It's not 0 to nuclear. We (and from the sounds of it around here every station) have had this conversation many, many times with preload, ops managers, seniors, MD's...and what happens?
Sounds like you've already attempted diplomacy. Feel free to go weapons free.